Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How terrible is the loss of white wolf forums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerator
    started a topic How terrible is the loss of white wolf forums?

How terrible is the loss of white wolf forums?

I have, yet again, tried to hunt down a collection of homebrew. This time she who lives in her name charms, with the links being on giant in the playground. And to my lack of surprise, the links in the homebrew doc are dead.

Just how much of a loss was the forums? Was there lots of good stuff, or was it mostly garbage?

• theoutlander523
    replied
    I found a copy of the errata actually. Took a while, but it exists in the old archives.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

If your powers could in any way be construed as a shaping effect though? There's a 3m charm that lasts 24 hours and negates it. It's just kind of a weird mismatch where a foe that can level a hundred truck-busting punches at you in a second is deadly as fuck, but a blast of destabilizing radiation, or time shenanigans, or transmutation magic, or whatever is a joke.
    You do have to consider IPP in that it was written to be useful in a Charmset where you can go "I spend 2m to use Seven Shadows Evasion, and a smile cockily as I Perfect Dodge the infinite damage attack, which is a level 1 stunt so I restore 2m."

Originally posted by theoutlander523 View Post
    Hell, I don't think you can even download the First Edition Errata anymore.
    Does anyone want that?

Because I have it on zipdisk.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-13-2021, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    That’s not what those links show though.

Leave a comment:

• Tytalus
    replied
    IMO, the loss of it contributed to the long term decline of the Exalted RPG.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...=exalted%20rpg

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...exalted%20game

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Actually, a reread of the Third Edition version of Integrity-Protecting Prana shows this to not be the case.
    The protections being discussed are now Destiny-Manifesting Method, yes.

Could you then say that an elder mage from World of Darkness could use arcane magic to alter their spells and make them not Shaping attacks?
    Based on my understanding that Ascension doesn’t even try to not be made entirely of BS, my guess is that this exact Prime spell is in fact probably buried somewhere in How Do You Do That.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    If an Arete 5 Technocrat fires a pistol at you using Forces 5 and Entropy 5, is it a shaping attack, or a direct attack?
    Probably not shaping, but I was thinking like aging somebody 10,000 years, or melting their bones into jelly, but just making it not shaping. In the way that a Solar would use a charm to swing a sword and make it an ethereal concept attack through some Occult charm.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied

Could you then say that an elder mage from World of Darkness could use arcane magic to alter their spells and make them not Shaping attacks?
    If an Arete 5 Technocrat fires a pistol at you using Forces 5 and Entropy 5, is it a shaping attack, or a direct attack?

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    But if that's the case, can't Exalts just get integrity charms to boost their own will in a battle of wills, or use another charm to transform their own skills in swords to their own willpower, like 'parry' someone's mental attack or 'stab' at someone using an ethereal sword?

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied

Yeah basically.

Like, imagine this. There's another RPG system where the primary form of combat resolution is something called Soul Combat. Everyone who matters at all in the setting can engage in it, and it's just like a battle of wills when you meet eachother, nothing physical involved. It's also highly effective, to the point where if somebody engaged you in physical combat you'd just have to respond by engaging them in soul combat and either destroy them because they were a mook who thought swords could hurt you, or they aren't a mook and would need soul combat to defend themselves.

Since this is the case, there's a really cheap entry level talent to just immunize yourself against physical harm anyway, any physical attack is turned aside before it strikes you regardless of power or scope. There's even a major villain in the default setting who had that talent and a mountain sized meteor dropped on them. They're fine, they live under it now, it was only heat and mass, not a soul meteor, and it's actually a boon because now you need to astral project just to go get them.

Now cross that with Exalted. No, Invincible Fury of the Dawn doesn't do anything, I don't care that it's a hammer that weighs as much as a VW beetle swinging faster than the eye can see, soul sensei aren't affected by physical blows, not even ones that wipe out a city. Even GET wouldn't work as for one they're not spirits and GET doesn't let you wound a mortal's soul, and for another the attacks specifically do not hit due to Transcend the Blade and Hammer and GET only triggers on a successful hit. As per 2e rules Perfect Defense beats Perfect Attack so even one of those fails against TtBaH. Fighting soul sensei via Exalted means requires things like soulbreaker orbs and the sensei have huge long talent trees all about resisting, reflecting, and avoiding those kind of attacks so good luck.
    But if that's the case, can't Exalts just get integrity charms to boost their own will in a battle of wills, or use another charm to transform their own skills in swords to their own willpower, like 'parry' someone's mental attack or 'stab' at someone using an ethereal sword?

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    ... Why would we be discussing 3E mechanics on the old White Wolf forum?
    Because vs battles infests everything. Even here.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    I think it's in basically the same boat as how system and Charms draw a distinction between sources of environmental damage and deliberate attacks (even if some offensive powers resolve themselves as environmental damage).
    Yeah basically.

Like, imagine this. There's another RPG system where the primary form of combat resolution is something called Soul Combat. Everyone who matters at all in the setting can engage in it, and it's just like a battle of wills when you meet eachother, nothing physical involved. It's also highly effective, to the point where if somebody engaged you in physical combat you'd just have to respond by engaging them in soul combat and either destroy them because they were a mook who thought swords could hurt you, or they aren't a mook and would need soul combat to defend themselves.

Since this is the case, there's a really cheap entry level talent to just immunize yourself against physical harm anyway, any physical attack is turned aside before it strikes you regardless of power or scope. There's even a major villain in the default setting who had that talent and a mountain sized meteor dropped on them. They're fine, they live under it now, it was only heat and mass, not a soul meteor, and it's actually a boon because now you need to astral project just to go get them.

Now cross that with Exalted. No, Invincible Fury of the Dawn doesn't do anything, I don't care that it's a hammer that weighs as much as a VW beetle swinging faster than the eye can see, soul sensei aren't affected by physical blows, not even ones that wipe out a city. Even GET wouldn't work as for one they're not spirits and GET doesn't let you wound a mortal's soul, and for another the attacks specifically do not hit due to Transcend the Blade and Hammer and GET only triggers on a successful hit. As per 2e rules Perfect Defense beats Perfect Attack so even one of those fails against TtBaH. Fighting soul sensei via Exalted means requires things like soulbreaker orbs and the sensei have huge long talent trees all about resisting, reflecting, and avoiding those kind of attacks so good luck.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    ... Why would we be discussing 3E mechanics on the old White Wolf forum?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Which is just a weird place to be in versus battles wise. Multiple sonic punches? Dangerous as fuck, likely lethal, but if you do win you'll be exhausted by the end. Ability to force crystal growth on your enemy's bones to cut them from the inside out? Might as well not exist, has no effect against IPP, which is effectively a permanent charm effect.
    Actually, a reread of the Third Edition version of Integrity-Protecting Prana shows this to not be the case.

While Integrity-Protecting Prana protects the Solar and her possessions from being subject to environmental twisting powers, it does not allow her to ignore Wyld phenomena. She can still be torn apart by Wyld-spawned ravenous cyclones of burning teeth and giant hundred-armed mantises. This Charm also does not defend against attacks that might warp her mind or body directly, such as the Wyld-Mind Strike of the Thousand Venoms Mistress, or fiat-level changes to her existence caused by alterations to the Loom of Fate.
    I think it's in basically the same boat as how system and Charms draw a distinction between sources of environmental damage and deliberate attacks (even if some offensive powers resolve themselves as environmental damage).

Leave a comment:

• theoutlander523
    replied
    If anyone wants a copy of the old White Wolf wiki data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DaZ...ew?usp=sharing
    You can load it up into Xowa, google that for more info, and go through the old stuff. I can help out if you need help.
    Also here's the old Fixalted stuff: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10P4...ew?usp=sharing
    This is really only in old text files, stored as markdown files. I could upload the SQL file that the owner of Fixalted gave me which has the database.
    If you want a easier to read version: http://web.archive.org/web/201904230...itle=Main_Page
    Someone could probably go through and remake the wikis from these.

I will say, as I've spent most of lockdown going through Exalted's history, we've lost a lot of stuff. The Exalted community used to be massive. Just freaking massive. I think one of the most painful moments for me was when I was on one of the old wikis and there was the resource page linking to other Exalted content. Other than Mr. Gone's page for character sheets, everything was dead. Literally all of it was removed and gone from history.
    Hell, I don't think you can even download the First Edition Errata anymore.

Now, I can say the same stuff has happened to World of Darkness also, as went through the old stuff years ago, where we used to have so much stuff constantly being made online for everyone to play with. Now it's almost all gone. Hell, some of the old stuff is barely hanging on by a thread. It could just up and disappear from the internet.

We probably need some kinda archive group to go through and save some of the history before the host dies of old age or something and we lose the sites. That happened to a couple VtM sites also. I try to not delete the stuff in my drive, but as no one has home servers much anymore, that content disappears at the whims of google.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X