How do I kill a god?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I kill a god?

I've made the trek all the way from the Mage-forum because I need to seek the help from you beautiful people.

I've been screwing a few Exalted bits onto the hull of my Mage-game, and so far the WoD/Exalted mashup from Holden Shearer has had everything I need. I have never played Exalted and I own none of the books, but I like the mythic past aspect of the setting. I've also been listening to the "A Systematic Understanding of Everything" podcast, and they mentioned deicide, which peaked my interest.

I'm getting within reach of the climax of the current story arch, and do I need to kill a god. The Yama King Mikaboshi, in case anyone is wondering. I've changed Mika quite a bit, but that is not super relevant to my question.

How do you kill gods in Exalted?

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

2e went into this a bit, we'll leave out making them into starmetal, as I don't recall the process for that in 2e and it isn't a thing that's done 3e. That said might be a cool thing to consider for your game.

If we're not asking them to be gone permanently then stabbing, shooting, and pummeling them a lot is the general method. You might have to pull some tricks to force it to become material and doing something about its Sanctuary are probably a must if you don't want it to just use Hurry Home to bamf out.

If you want it perma-dead the sanctuary needs to be taken out or the destroyed god will reform there.Then its the same process with the addition that Ghost-eater or its splat equivalent needs to be applied to rip apart its essence so it doesn't reform.

Its a pretty simple system in its bones approach though actually accomplishing some of these is the tricky part and certain gods might have other things you want to do. The most iconic of these in 2e was getting rid of Sol's various virtues so he didn't have access to the infinite damage godspear or absolute defense shield and so on. In 3rd we might be talking things like Ahlat's hecatomb that will not make the fight any easier if the bull god uses it during the fight.

Comment

If they've got a sanctum and a cult, do away with both of those, isolate and alienate the god from his or her divine superiors in the bureaucracy, and then physically confront and kill the god. If the god refuses to materialize, you might need a way to either shuck your own material body, or learn the occult techniques to strike a spirit who has no body.

​If the cult has grown beyond your ability to put it down, or the god's sanctum is too remote, or those over the god in the divine hierarchy are guaranteed to keep resurrecting the god, then you'll need to move beyond that, and master the magics that shred the soul itself, such that you can rend it asunder as its physical form dies. There's a downside to this, though - gods have an intrinsic sense for those who master such techniques, so the god you oppose will be aware that you can destroy it and subsume its Essence into yourself.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 10-20-2020, 01:57 PM.

He/him

Comment

Thank you guys! As expected, killing a god is no small feat. Looks like I'll have to send my heroes on a quest for the God Killing Plot-device.

Comment

Before they kill that god, make sure to play this in the background.

Comment

Attacks that destroy souls tend to also say that they permakill gods so you could say that that’s true in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitromidas View Post
              Thank you guys! As expected, killing a god is no small feat. Looks like I'll have to send my heroes on a quest for the God Killing Plot-device.
              Which isn't to say that killing the god without the G.K.P.D. would be pointless. Even if an Exalt lacks the means to permanently destroy a spirit, I imagine it's very possible for the resurrected god to come back somewhat diminished (or at least suitably chastened).

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                Which isn't to say that killing the god without the G.K.P.D. would be pointless. Even if an Exalt lacks the means to permanently destroy a spirit, I imagine it's very possible for the resurrected god to come back somewhat diminished (or at least suitably chastened).

The god in question has managed to corrupt the Japanese Empire (current year: 1938) and his nephandi control a state cult. He wants to conquer the lands of the living and the dead, and break the Wheel of Time, thereby trapping all of creation in a hell-state. Chastened and diminished has to count as a victory.

EDIT: I think I shall rename the GKPD to God Chastening Plot Device
                Last edited by Nitromidas; 10-22-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X