Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artifacts that grant Martial Arts Charms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifacts that grant Martial Arts Charms?

Forgive me if there's something obvious that I missed, but I was wondering if there were artifacts in 3e that grant their wielders access to martial arts, or at least enhance martial arts charms. I'm thinking of perhaps converting the Tome of Battle martial art styles to Exalted 3e, and included as part of that would be the Nine Swords. If someone could let me know whether or not their are examples of any of this in canon, that would be great.

Originally posted by Critian Caceorte View Post
    Forgive me if there's something obvious that I missed, but I was wondering if there were artifacts in 3e that grant their wielders access to martial arts, or at least enhance martial arts charms. I'm thinking of perhaps converting the Tome of Battle martial art styles to Exalted 3e, and included as part of that would be the Nine Swords. If someone could let me know whether or not their are examples of any of this in canon, that would be great.
    For the former no, unless you're counting the soulsteel short daiklaves that have evocations that count as form type charms. Those are not part of a style though. However since the only martial arts that are gated off are the Sidereal styles like Prismatic Arrangement of Creation, I see no reason as to why they would grant access to martial arts. Now there was a thread started by Shadowstripe that dealt with giving mastery effects, two of them actually, one about hearthstones and the other about artifacts. You could use those for inspiration. As for enhancing martial arts charms, I don't think there are. However that's probably because evocations are power drawn out from the artifact specific to the user's innate ability and martial charms aren't innate. However given that they are personalized it seems fine for a specific exalt to enhance their martial arts. I would just look at the examples of enhancing charms and then consider what charms you want to enhance as martial arts as so many different options given its many styles. I don't have access to my books right now, sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

There's no reason why evocations cannot grant bonuses to MA charms.

It's just that it's not written as such because an artifact is already a subsect, MA is a subsect, so they'd be making charms for people who take that specific artifact for that specific MA.

If you want convert the book of weeaboo fightin' magic then go right ahead. I've also made an MA project called the Expanded Lotus, which you can find in my sig.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

The reason why I was asking about artifacts granting MA charms is because with the titular 9 Swords, they all grant, at certain levels, access to certain maneuvers of their associated style. However, I figure I can either just make those specific maneuvers Evocations of the artifact rather than MA charms (since there's so many of those to choose from that I can afford to cut a few), enhance those certain MA charms which the Swords already do in DnD if you already have the right maneuver, or just create new powers entirely for the Evocations.
        Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

If you want convert the book of weeaboo fightin' magic then go right ahead. I've also made an MA project called the Expanded Lotus, which you can find in my sig.
        Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X