Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Dynasty cooperate against an invasion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again with this dichotomy. Dumb is not the same as unaware. Having been lied to or given bad information does not make you stupid. Not realizing one’s biases is something all of us do. The Exalted are human, and the mistakes they make are human mistakes.

Given current events, it’s very easy to misjudge a serious threat, and thus not react appropriately to it.

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Again with this dichotomy. Dumb is not the same as unaware. Having been lied to or given bad information does not make you stupid. Not realizing one’s biases is something all of us do. The Exalted are human, and the mistakes they make are human mistakes.

Given current events, it’s very easy to misjudge a serious threat, and thus not react appropriately to it.
      Eh, here's the thing.

How much of this is going to happen?

I'm not denying that they're certainly very imperfect. But how much bias, how much bad information, and how much lying? And most of all, how much of it before they get shouted down by 'yes, the anathema are here and we're going to die unless we team up!'.

Comment

Is anyone trying to argue that the Dynasty definitely can't or definitely will unite to fight the Anathema?

Because if anyone is taking an absolute position, I'm happy to debate it. (Either side, I don't mind.)

But if we're arguing about what individuals think is most likely... well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

Personally, I don't think the Realm is Lawful Stupid, and I lean toward agreeing with Accelerator. But it's not a guaranteed thing: people aren't rational actors (even before Essence Fever and the Great Curse and 768 years of internal strife). "A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky animals." It is demonstratable that people don't always act in their best interests.

But rather than talk about climate change, let's look at stuff like the World Wars. Heck, Russia and the US united long enough to crush Daesh in all our lifetimes. Folks will set aside differences and work against a common threat. Ignorance plays a factor, and the Realm hasn't united yet -- despite Thorns, and the disappearance of the Empress, and the Bull of the North. It is absolutely plausible that they never unite (for all the reasons listed in the OP). The actions of a plucky group of PCs can make all the difference. But is anyone saying that uniting with your sisters against a common threat is impossible?

Should a group of Anathema cut out the Realm's knees by conquering the Threshold, I think the Dynasty will continue to squabble like the Empire of Trantor as they're dragged into the long night. But if a group of Anathema directly attacked the Blessed Isle, openly as an immediate threat... they face Ten Thousand Dragons, united in opposition. In my opinion. Your Mileage May Vary. Do what is fun at your table. What are we even arguing about here? Neither extreme (nor any middle ground) is Bad Wrong Fun. Just enjoy Exalted, folks.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I was not saying that unity is impossible - merely that it’s not guaranteed.

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            The actions of a plucky group of PCs can make all the difference.
            IMO this is the most important point.

If the PCs are Dragonblooded trying to unite the Realm against the threat of the Solars then, well, the Realm is probably going to get united, even if it takes the entire campaign.

If the PCs are Solars trying to inflame the internal divisions of the Realm using forged evidence of treason, secret alliances, and good-old fashioned persuasion, so that their designs against the Realm can work, then, well...

Comment

This is really up to the Storyteller's interpretation. I could absolutely see as charismatic leader pulling off a temporary alliance to fend off a powerful threat. I could also see the great houses squabbling and trying to gain whatever advantage they could in the situation, leading to chaos. Hell, it is 100% possible that the difference between those two outcomes is dependent on the actions of the PCs.

Comment

Working...
              X