Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What limits should there be on High Essence Solar Charms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frostav View Post
    People often seem to forget that God King Shrike doesn't let you like, magically make a behemoth come out of nowhere. The disaster has to be something that could actually happen.
    On the other hand Creation has at least one level of Underdark even if it's not written as a place to ever actually go to, so you never know where might have a behemoth sleeping under it for the past 10000 years.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 11-21-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by habitableexoplanet View Post

I think
      That's exactly how I also interpret the Charm.

I'm against stopping the doom entirely.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

On the other hand Creation has at least one level of Underdark even if it's not written as place to ever actually go to, so you never know where might have a behemoth sleeping under it for the past 10000 years.
        Indeed. Forbidden Gods, endless hordes, the Underways and such make a very largely undefined playing field for a ST to fit in/hide a lot of stuff of a quite large variety of power levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostav View Post
          People often seem to forget that God King Shrike doesn't let you like, magically make a behemoth come out of nowhere. The disaster has to be something that could actually happen.

On another note, what is the "Dogstar" in its second name (why do some charms have second names to begin with...?) referencing? The star Sirius?
          Presumably, yes. I'm not really super into ancient astrological symbolism and all that jazz but it's my understanding that Sirius has been associated with bad omens in the past. Why the charm is named after a real-life star is beyond me, especially since I imagine there's a suitable Endings-related constellation or star that might have served just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamajin View Post
            Why the charm is named after a real-life star is beyond me, especially since I imagine there's a suitable Endings-related constellation or star that might have served just as well.
            Charm names are primarily for the benefit of the reader, and meant to be evocative to them. They often don't actually exist in-character.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Yeah I was thinking about the other day of an investigation charm that's an Essence 5 Solar one. When you find a piece of evidence you roll against difficulty 5, and each threshold success brings you closer to the ultimate culprit. So, for example, you find a piece of torn fabric at a kidnapping scene. So if you roll 10 successes that tells you that the fabric comes from a uniform of a dock worker of a specific company, then it tells you that company has side finances with a group of traders that visit the wyld tainted zones often, then it tells you those traders are involved in illegal dream eaten slave trading, and that the head of the operation is a man named Thadfur Daneel, it then tells you that he lives near and frequents a bar near the docks so you can go get him right now.

That kind of charm tells me you're not actually interested in playing Law and Order: Fucking Badass Solar Magistrate. You just want to find a crime story, skip to the end, and move on.

I think there is a fine line with Charms, especially for Solar, where you are supposed to not go too far because else you will destroy the purpose of the system, especially if you think you can "prevent the problem" by capping them with an ability roll.

For example, I don't know about people here, but I have no problem asking an Exalt for a roll when using Judge's Ears Technique when trying to know if a powerful enemy is lying, because I'm okay with the Charm being "absolute most of the time", but not really when it's just a straigth "are you the bad guy ?" tool

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Yamajin View Post

Presumably, yes. I'm not really super into ancient astrological symbolism and all that jazz but it's my understanding that Sirius has been associated with bad omens in the past. Why the charm is named after a real-life star is beyond me, especially since I imagine there's a suitable Endings-related constellation or star that might have served just as well.
                As Isator states, Blorg-Star Ruminations is not immediately as communicative to the Player, who is the one reading the charm. What is Blorg? Why is Blorg associated with this? Where do I read about Blorg? This is a lot of homework to understand the name of a charm that isn't even named Blorg-Star Ruminations in-character.

Comment

Incidentally, Dogstar is also the name of a band that Keanu Reeves was in, so one could imagine Dogstar Ruminations as a name invoking the image of what John Wick will be contemplating regarding you after you killed his puppy.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Mnemon Johnny.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Working...
                    X