Any reason for a Sidereal not to use the Ride Prayer strip charm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason for a Sidereal not to use the Ride Prayer strip charm

If you use it on a connection with the willpower Sacrifice a reason not to if you like the connection in question enough?

A Permanent Willpower Dot is a terrible Sacrifice

but I See it as so worth it if you want to grant a friend immortality and power.

Which edition are we talking about here?

I assume it's 2E (I don't recall how the 1E power works).

You're taking a trusted mortal friend, one of your limited contacts in the world, and turning them into a Dragon for some kind of urgent emergency -- do you really want to go into that emergency 1 WP down? And consider the training times for buying that dot of WP back up. And the OOC cost of just taking an existing Lesser Elemental Dragon as an ally. And that mortal shopkeeper in Nexus is gone: it's one more god in heaven, but you've got no shortage of friendly gods in heaven... and you've purchased it with one of your precious mortal friends.

But, yeah, I'd spend the willpower if I had it.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      I assume it's 2E (I don't recall how the 1E power works).
      Mostly the same, but you didn't get the option of burning off a dot of Willpower to keep the Acquaintance/Familiar's mind intact.

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Mostly the same, but you didn't get the option of burning off a dot of Willpower to keep the Acquaintance/Familiar's mind intact.
        Given that the op seems to regard the charm as a method of granting apotheosis (which in 2e it absolutely has the potential to be), this one change is a tremendous deal, and drastically reshapes the use and spirit of the charm: permanently and completely ruining a trusted contact because you need that dragon *now* (tbh completely in the themes of 1e Sidereals), vs a meaningful sacrifice that permanently empowers an ally (though I guess if you were a bad person you could just let them be a gibbering husk after you were done).

The possibility of ameliorating the terrible human cost of the charm drastically alters its focus, and in 1e, a topic like this would be "why *would* you use this charm (you monster)?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post

Given that the op seems to regard the charm as a method of granting apotheosis (which in 2e it absolutely has the potential to be), this one change is a tremendous deal, and drastically reshapes the use and spirit of the charm: permanently and completely ruining a trusted contact because you need that dragon *now* (tbh completely in the themes of 1e Sidereals), vs a meaningful sacrifice that permanently empowers an ally (though I guess if you were a bad person you could just let them be a gibbering husk after you were done).

The possibility of ameliorating the terrible human cost of the charm drastically alters its focus, and in 1e, a topic like this would be "why *would* you use this charm (you monster)?"

Very good point indeed about how the addition of the permanent WP sacrifice option utterly altered the tenor of the charm between editions. That creates an interesting conundrum over what direction to take it into 3rd edition, how to balance or not views and expectations created by the different versions.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 11-13-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Helping them set themselves up would be an adventure i n itself I think. Helping them find employment somewhere in Yu-shan

Gain a Salary

or maybe just a manse.

Best to invite them as guests into your Celestial manse first?

Comment

Working...
            X