Hundred Kingdom Generator (PEACH)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by habitableexoplanet View Post
    What kind of stuff would be on these tables? In the Hundred Kingdoms region specifically I would imagine most kingdoms would have similar crops - I imagine the climate is fairly similar between adjacent kingdoms.
    You'd be surprised about how very small distances can produce huge differences in growing conditions. Washington state and Wyoming aren't separated by as much distance as some of the Hundred Kingdoms are, but the climate differences are pretty big. Another example of how food changes because of location would be the differences between Indian, Chinese, and Thai cuisine. Those small differences in available crops produces major shifts in flavor profile.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
    Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
    Masters of the Industrial Elements
    Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
    ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post

You'd be surprised about how very small distances can produce huge differences in growing conditions. Washington state and Wyoming aren't separated by as much distance as some of the Hundred Kingdoms are, but the climate differences are pretty big. Another example of how food changes because of location would be the differences between Indian, Chinese, and Thai cuisine. Those small differences in available crops produces major shifts in flavor profile.
      This is a good point!

Still, a random generator wouldn't quite do it justice either, right? Imagine if the crops grown in each US state were randomly generated, so there was no correlation at all between even adjacent states.

So we could divide into rough regions of staple crops, and then try to generate a national dish defined using those, and not worry too much about subtleties of cuisine beyond that. (We're not likely to describe every course of a seven-course meal the PCs eat or anything like that.)

Comment

To be honest this entire thing is a gigantic balance. Despite what some people may say, Exalted is not simulationist. Just draw in the sketchlines and fill in the blanks, and make a fun game. don't worry *too* much. Unless you're incredibly unlucky, no player is going to criticize you for mismatching the climate and the crops.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post

Isn't this less about distance and more about the giant mountain range separating them, and the fact that one is coastal and the other is inland?
          There isn't really an equivalent for the Hundred Kingdoms - the overall region is mostly flat and landlocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            To be honest this entire thing is a gigantic balance. Despite what some people may say, Exalted is not simulationist. Just draw in the sketchlines and fill in the blanks, and make a fun game. don't worry *too* much. Unless you're incredibly unlucky, no player is going to criticize you for mismatching the climate and the crops.
            Well, if no one's going to complain, then what's the easiest thing to do? I think it would probably be to draw a curvy boundary separating the rice region from the wheat region, like in China, and whenever it comes up pick a fun-sounding dish based on the corresponding staple crop.

Originally posted by autXautY View Post

Isn't this less about distance and more about the giant mountain range separating them, and the fact that one is coastal and the other is inland?
            There isn't really an equivalent for the Hundred Kingdoms - the overall region is mostly flat and landlocked.
            Well, there are supposed to be mountain ranges in the Hundred Kingdoms, separating the kingdoms, just not big enough to show up on the map. So I guess there should be some differences...

Comment

Originally posted by habitableexoplanet View Post
              This is a good point!

Still, a random generator wouldn't quite do it justice either, right? Imagine if the crops grown in each US state were randomly generated, so there was no correlation at all between even adjacent states.

So we could divide into rough regions of staple crops, and then try to generate a national dish defined using those, and not worry too much about subtleties of cuisine beyond that. (We're not likely to describe every course of a seven-course meal the PCs eat or anything like that.)
              I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like rice-farming typically requires lots of water for keeping the rice paddies weed-free, places where peppers grow well will tend to have spicier food, vodka is only made where potatoes are plentiful, orchards give a country-side a very different look than vineyards or cornfields, and so on. If the local harvest god is more associated with beans than with wheat, I wouldn't expect to see any Charms in his portfolio to do with reaping or threshing. You could even have something like the Irish Potato Famine sweep through one region, but leave another region untouched because of the different crops between the two areas.

Originally posted by autXautY View Post

The major conceit of the Exalted map is that only the most significant features actually make it onto the map. There are hundreds of rivers, lakes, hills, forests, mountains, and so on too small to display on the map's scale. There are far more cities, towns, and villages that just the ones that get a name and a dot on the map.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
              Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
              Masters of the Industrial Elements
              Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
              ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Ugh, I gotta remember to check my notifications here more often.

Anyway, yes joshopotamus and habitableexoplanet, it would be just a single page and you press button to get kingdom. I did something similar with 400 Lunars but there my partner and I had to come up with, y'know, names and stuff for 400 Lunars and that was a pain.

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin_Fredericks View Post
                  Ugh, I gotta remember to check my notifications here more often.

Anyway, yes joshopotamus and habitableexoplanet, it would be just a single page and you press button to get kingdom. I did something similar with 400 Lunars but there my partner and I had to come up with, y'know, names and stuff for 400 Lunars and that was a pain.

1. yoink, i'm stealing that
                  2. a hundred kingdoms generator would probably be something i use not just for exalted not gonna lie

Comment

habitableexoplanet joshopotamus I've got the first pass in place. I'm sure there's some tweaking to do, and it doesn't look great yet, but the basics should be there. Take a look and let me know what you think!

https://colin-fredericks.github.io/ex3-100-kingdoms/

If anyone's got a great list of names for these, let me know. That's one of the biggest things missing so far. That and names for the rulers.

Edited to add: Looks slightly better now. Plus gave the kingdoms random icons!
                    Last edited by Colin_Fredericks; 12-21-2020, 01:35 PM.

Current project: Stranger Creations, unofficial settings and NPCs for Exalted.

Comment

Colin_Fredericks sorry it took me so long, that looks like a lot of fun! Might play with this for our current game in the dreaming sea

Comment

Working...
                      X