No announcement yet.

RWBY Volume 8 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, the Grimm also evoke deathly/underworld Aesthetics, what with the visible bone plating. And apparently in one of the livestreams it was mentioned that Grimm Goo was, in the early planning days, a different substance that could create Grimm by pouring it on animals. Like a normal wolf would be transformed into a Beowolf by applying Grimm Goo.

Maybe Grimm Goo could be some kind of Sorcerous or Necromantic weapon that corrupts that which it touches?

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

So....um....what Essence level was that Evocation Oz/car just used?

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
        So....um....what Essence level was that Evocation Oz/car just used?
        Whatever is appropriate for an Evocation that can only ever do something like that once, maybe twice, every thousand years.

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

See that's what happens when you try to get crafty with your homebrew Evocations.

Your player goes "Oh it's nothing major, it's just a Permanent power that lets me transfer one Initiative to the weapon itself each time I successfully inflict Withering damage on a target" and then twenty sessions later they point out "It's a PERMANENT Evocation with no cap and it doesn't say This Initiative fades at the end of battle. I've stored up over 100 Initiative over the course of this campaign"

Only, as Sunder noted, this one was built up over several lifetimes.
          Last edited by Kyman201; 02-27-2021, 09:01 PM.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            See that's what happens when you try to get crafty with your homebrew Evocations.

Your player goes "Oh it's nothing major, it's just a Permanent power that lets me transfer one Initiative to the weapon itself each time I successfully inflict Withering damage on a target" and then twenty sessions later they point out "It's a PERMANENT Evocation with no cap and it doesn't say This Initiative fades at the end of battle. I've stored up over 100 Initiative over the course of this campaign"

Only, as Sunder noted, this one was built up over several lifetimes.
            I've seen the concept done at least once before, but it's not the most popular weapon design, and certainly hasn't appeared in Exalted.

The closest is the Immaculate myth of Hesiesh never using his Essence until the day came to incinerate the Anathema.

The last time I can recall this concept coming up (in a Japanese franchise called Accel World) is a katana that continuously stores up power the longer it is sheathed, and which expends all of that power on a single strike without any ability to conserve. I think it was called Infinite Blade or Infinite Edge.

Of course such a concept is unpopular; only the most self-restrained and patient of people would opt into this kind of weapon, and most of them would never actually use it because they'd always be fretting about the potential of needing that power MORE for some later challenge.

Which might be why Ozpin died to Cinder at Beacon when he had this kind of power at his disposal.

Alternatively, while Ozpin COULD release less than the total amount of stored power, he couldn't unleash a small enough amount to be sure he wouldn't damage Beacon Tower above.

The first time Oscar used this power, he used LESS than in this episode, and it was still enough to blow a hole into the floor the shaft he was falling down... a hole that piercing through the bottom of Atlas's foundation.

Comment

So, now two questions: If I wanted to turn a Jade Alchemical into a Celestial Exalt, can I do that?

What level working would it take to make the transit dimension?

and lastly:
              damn Cinder. I wanted her to be a candidate for redemtion. Then she did...this

Comment

bumping this thread back up now that the forum is fixed.

The last scene btw, feels like the fall of Tzatli doesn't it?

Comment

The Staff of Creation and its Spirit aren't on the level of the Eye of Autochthon, but it gives you a taste of the kind of power such an Artifact can grant you.

Comment

So, now two questions: If I wanted to turn a Jade Alchemical into a Celestial Exalt, can I do that?
                    You can do anything you want at your table, but if you want to follow the "rules"...

Then it bears mentioning that "Alchemical Exalt" is not the only option for representing Penny. It's entirely possible for a sorceror-engineer to produce a robot girl with a soul and a number of traits and even Charms.

First-Age-Artifice Penny wouldn't have the growth potential of an Exalt, but she could be made more than powerful enough to overshadow young Exalted, or even some veteran Exalted like General Ironwood.

And if she's not an Exalt but has a human soul, then she's a viable candidate for Celestial or Exigent Exaltation, and a sorcerous working or powerful Artifact could transform her body from machine to animal.

Comment

Episode's out for everyone now, friends.

How bad are we feeling?

Feeling pretty bad, myself.

Putting all that work into getting yourself an N/A Artifact and using to to conduct a sorcerous working to turn your recently-Exalted robot buddy/girlfriend into an Exalted human, only for her to die in the next session where you ALSO lose the Artifact?

Feels bad.

Comment

Does GSS make multiple blades like when Penny summoned her swords? Or should that be a custom cham building off it?

Comment

Does GSS make multiple blades like when Penny summoned her swords? Or should that be a custom cham building off it?
                          Mechanically, you can buy identical one-handed weapons as a set that counts as one weapon.

Penny effectively has a pair of short swords/daiklaves, even if there's six of them. They're all identical, so none of them have any varying tags for her to exploit, and the only immediate advantage in a mechanical sense is the Clash bonus for paired weapons, and it being that much harder to disarm her.

She would need to invest into specialized GSS upgrades/Evocations or a floating-blade Martial Art style to begin seeing any other real returns.

Comment

I'd look for the wings of blades or whatever style that the Lunar KS book will feature.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                            Many Limbed Manual
                            Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                            San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                            My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

The heroes' journey continues into death, from which plot armor will save them. Still, I'm eager to watch how it will happen.

Also, great goddess vibes on Winter.

Regarding Alchemcial Exalts: they are already classed Celestial. But, like, through the magic of soulgems and new bodies, I'm sure you could homebrew an Alchemical-to-other Exaltation event.

Salem will eventually collect all four relics, because that has the most potential for drama. So, halfway? 8 more seasons?!

Sidereal Jumpstart (3e fanwork Charmset)
                              Cascades (the above in flowchart form)

Comment

I think they were going for subverting expectations but a cool premise and an interesting set-up leading to a disappointing resolution is what I've come to expect from RWBY.

I don't consider myself a hate watcher but at this point it's something I watch as a GM/storyteller to vivisect a season and see what they're doing wrong.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Working...
                                X