Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dangerous are the Mountain Folk without the Great Geas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dangerous are the Mountain Folk without the Great Geas?

Are the Mountain Folk a threat, or at least a legitimate potential threat to the Exalted if someone ever freed them from the Great Geas? How much damage could/would they do?

Well, going off 2e, the Geas was what changed them into the mountain folk we know from the People of Adamant. We've not really seen the full extent of their power, but we do know that the current jadeborn charm set is a the cobbled together remnants of what they were once capable of. So I guess it's likely that restored to their former glory the mountain folk would be a lot more dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
      Are the Mountain Folk a threat, or at least a legitimate potential threat to the Exalted if someone ever freed them from the Great Geas? How much damage could/would they do?

Well, how much damage could a population of supernatural essence-wielding artisans & warriors, individually inferior to any exalted but, numbering into the hundreds of thousands to millions and organized into actual city-states, if not a truly unified nation-empire, cause to the much less puisant societies of the surface world?

Even without accounting for any supposed diminishment of their overall might as a race, that on itself is reason aplenty for the Exalted to be somewhat leery of the idea. But then the idea that the Jadeborn are kind of in the defensive on their ages long war with the variety of subterranean races, primordial, exalted-created or other, labeled by the Mountain Folk as Endless Hordes, is an image far more unsettling to me.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 12-24-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I'd say the Mountain Folk empire is easily a match for any surface nation (save the Realm), and probably wouldn't have too much trouble conquering a whole Direction (save the Center) if they put their minds to it. Mountain Folk leaders are no match for Exalted champions, but there are thousands of them, and the Mountain Folk rank-and-file are much more than a match for the most elite mortal units of any military, and there are hundreds of thousands of them. Their whole million-plus society is bent to support a war effort that has been going on for thousands of years, *and* they have more advanced technology then almost anyone else too.

Which is all to say, I think a Mountain Folk uprising would be a pretty epic backdrop for an Exalted game.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Well, how much damage could a population of supernatural essence-wielding artisans & warriors, individually inferior to any exalted but, numbering into the hundreds of thousands to millions and organized into actual city-states, if not a truly unified nation-empire, cause to the much less puisant societies of the surface world?

Even without accounting for any supposed diminishment of their overall might as a race, that on itself is reason aplenty for the Exalted to be somewhat leery of the idea. But then the idea that the Jadeborn are kind of in the defensive on their ages long war with the variety of subterranean races, primordial, exalted-created or other, labeled by the Mountain Folk as Endless Hordes, is an image far more unsettling to me.
          Are they still on the defensive in 3e?

I asked in the dev topic a while back (see here), and my understanding is that while there are still freaky monsters deep underground, the Jadeborn aren't spending all their time fighting them anymore.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to expect but it sounds like they'll have more influence on Creation in some capacity or other.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

I asked in the dev topic a while back (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1295469-ask-the-devs-v2?p=1366086#post1366086"]see here[/URL]), and my understanding is that while there are still freaky monsters deep underground, the Jadeborn aren't spending all their time fighting them anymore.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to expect but it sounds like they'll have more influence on Creation in some capacity or other.
            I know I didn’t mention it, but this is more a 2E question.

Comment

In the end it kinda comes down to how paranoid you felt the first age exalted were being.

Were they really a threat to the first age solars? If so then having them unleashed upon the age of sorrows would definitely make a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

I asked in the dev topic a while back (see here), and my understanding is that while there are still freaky monsters deep underground, the Jadeborn aren't spending all their time fighting them anymore.

Well, i didn't mean "in the defensive" in the "nearly backed against a wall" tone 2e liked to give to keep them away of "breaking" the surface world, more like the Realm could be said to be surrounded in the Time of Tumult, due to the Dynasty's current self-serving decisions. It's a major power, the hemegonic power in its field, but the countless ephemeral nations and countries around it see chinks in the armor, instabilities that may become either trouble or opportunity for their own societies, depending on boldness, planning and luck.

But it's good to know we'll have more on the Mountain Folk - and consequently on the other subterranean natives that interact with them too, i guess.

Comment

Working...
                X