Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exalted Reincarnated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exalted Reincarnated

    Decided not posting it here was a bit silly.

    I am working on Exalted Reincarnated, a complete top-to-bottom rewrite of the Exalted System. Essentially, what I would do if I was writing 4th edition. I'm breaking everything down everything and rebuilding it, taking what is good about the system, learning from what is good about other systems, and rebuilding. I'm not really changing any lore or setting material unless it directly touches mechanics.

    Currently, I am a good chunk of the way through writing the Solar and Universal Charms, while I have also jotted down my ideas and notes for the other Exalts--mainly hyper-specific charms made for my playtest group.

    There are many aspects still unfinished, (notably the Antagonists section), there are many "todo's" scattered around, and I still have to go through the document to comb through and make sure everything is up to date, but I believe it should at least show you a great deal of how the system handles, and what it is all about.

    You can see my complaints about 3e and why I'm doing what I'm doing on the About Page. But it's easy to get trapped in negativity, so I'm just trying to build up a new system.

    Overview
    Pretty much everything in the system has been changed. I was focused on making sure that, as a whole, everything is understandable and you don't need to constantly reference the book to play the game, without turning it into a true "lite" system.

    One thing I want to stress in playing Exalted is that there are Players at the table, all playing the same game. I want people who show up at the table to have things to do, even if they aren't the star of the scene. Socialites in combat, tinkerer's in a court scene, etc. To do this, I have added quite a bit of base-level competence to players, which relies heavily on abilities and narrative roleplay. The power to shine comes often from charm selection, but you can still do quite a lot without them.

    Charms are condensed, and focus less on dice tricks. There's still mechanical effects on many of the charms, but I do want each charm to make you feel like you're "doing" something in the world, rather than messing with numbers. It's a fine line to tread sometimes, especially with the more Martial of abilities. There's also very few prerequisites charms for other charms, and they should have largely independent powers. You know how to build your character more than I do.

    Strifes, Drawbacks, and Limit.
    The core backbone of the rules tells you what you can and can't do, providing limitations that are necessary to good roleplay. Strifes allow you to break those limitations, both allowing you to narratively change the scene, as well as mechanically give you advantages when needed. This all comes at the cost of drawbacks and Limit, where you pay a price for exerting yourself. It sets up a balance of great power, but sometimes at great cost.

    Projects
    A unified system to explain what your characters are doing in downtime, as well as how you can make world-changing events. Gather spy networks, create an artifact, establish a great reputation in the land, etc.

    Encounters
    A System to represent non-combat scenes, like a "Picard Speech", or a courtroom scene. It is far more of a framework than the other systems. I've used it to have an impromptu "Vogue-off" with my playtest group against a bunch of vain Fae, of all things.

    Martial Arts
    Martial Arts is how your character interacts with combat. There are the standard styles, yes, but I also want to make sure the weird and wild ones all had a chance to shine.

    Supernatural Abilities
    I want each Exalt to have a set number of "Supernatural" abilities. For example, the control over Fire for Dragonbloods, or Shapeshifting for Lunars. This is a nice way to encapsulate their special abilities into a place that allows for charms to descended from them.

    Anticipated Questions

    How is this Different from Essence?

    Our design goals are different. They want to make a "lite" system from 3e, I want to make a lighter system that is a new edition.

    As for specifics, I haven't been keeping up with Essence, so I'm not really sure what is the same or different. I did take the idea of the "Navigation" Ability from them, but that's about it for direct crossover. I suspect there's going to be a lot of convergence since we're dealing with a lot of the same material.

    Why did you get rid of/rename Ability X?
    I reorganized and condensed the abilities. Some of them are just renames, in an attempt to make sure that their purpose and identity was clear. There are a few discards I got rid of just for the sake of "I'm one person writing this thing." Maybe I will re-introduce some abilities as I get the core set down.

    Honestly there are a thousand ways to cut and rearrange the nature of humanity, which is why I mention that you can make new abilities that fit your character. (I still need to write the example for that. So much to do.)

    Why is it on this website?
    Google Docs died on me. I'm still fighting with the formatting sometimes on the website. :/

  • #2
    Hey isn't Sith_Happens doing something similar?

    You've got some interesting ideas here.

    I'm not sold -- but that's mostly because I want to see what Essence does. (And because I'm on my phone and the formatting is weird on mobile.) I think there's definitely stuff I would steal if I were to run a Celestial game.


    Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      Hey isn't Sith_Happens doing something similar?

      You've got some interesting ideas here.

      I'm not sold -- but that's mostly because I want to see what Essence does. (And because I'm on my phone and the formatting is weird on mobile.) I think there's definitely stuff I would steal if I were to run a Celestial game.
      I don't know, are they? I wouldn't mind pooling resources if they are.

      Sorry it's not behaving well on mobile. You can press the upper left hamburger button to collapse the navigation at least. It really does look best on the downloaded pdfs, still trying to get the website to behave.

      If anything to steal, I would recommend the Drawbacks/Push the Roll system. +2 Successes on a roll (after the roll has been resolved) in exchange for added limit, a wound, or the scene turning against you. (i.e. essentially you succeed at the task now, but the rest of the scene makes you suffer consequences.)
      Last edited by Dragonmystic; 12-30-2020, 01:58 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wish you luck on your project. I see some very cool ideas in here. I think you're headed a bit more Fate-like then I prefer; I do really like Fate but I like Exalted for different reasons. That said, I may be rushing to judgement too quickly so I'll try to keep an eye on it!

        I've been working on something tangentially related; my thesis (in counterpoint to this and Essence) is something like "3e isn't overcomplicated, just overwritten". So starting with combat, I'm attempting to rewrite the rules without changing any. You could think of it as a quick reference, a combat guide, or what the rules would look like if Exalted were a CCG or LCG instead of an RPG.

        Can I ask you what tool/tools you're using for organizing and publishing your writing? It looks really nice. I've been experimenting with Scrivener, because I like the idea of being able to publish to Markdown, but it can do HTML too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
          I wish you luck on your project. I see some very cool ideas in here. I think you're headed a bit more Fate-like then I prefer; I do really like Fate but I like Exalted for different reasons. That said, I may be rushing to judgement too quickly so I'll try to keep an eye on it!

          I've been working on something tangentially related; my thesis (in counterpoint to this and Essence) is something like "3e isn't overcomplicated, just overwritten". So starting with combat, I'm attempting to rewrite the rules without changing any. You could think of it as a quick reference, a combat guide, or what the rules would look like if Exalted were a CCG or LCG instead of an RPG.

          Can I ask you what tool/tools you're using for organizing and publishing your writing? It looks really nice. I've been experimenting with Scrivener, because I like the idea of being able to publish to Markdown, but it can do HTML too.
          Not sure if it's Fate-like, except the Strife points.

          I'm using Libreoffice and pandoc, then hosting it on github pages. (then redirecting the url to prevent people from panicking on seeing a link to github, since it's just a website.)

          I wrote a script to do a release process. https://github.com/Dragonmystic707/e...ter/release.py
          Last edited by Dragonmystic; 12-30-2020, 01:29 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            Hey isn't Sith_Happens doing something similar?
            Not at all, you must be thinking of someone else.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post
              I want people who show up at the table to have things to do, even if they aren't the star of the scene. Socialites in combat, tinkerer's in a court scene, etc. To do this, I have added quite a bit of base-level competence to players, which relies heavily on abilities and narrative roleplay. The power to shine comes often from charm selection, but you can still do quite a lot without them.
              That sounds interesting. Would it be a matter of that skillset bringing its milieu into the scene, or adjusting itself to fit the scene's milieu? Is the tinkerer making adjustments to structures in the courtroom, or is this the skill in question being applied to making testimonies or judgements?

              Originally posted by Dragonmystic
              The core backbone of the rules tells you what you can and can't do, providing limitations that are necessary to good roleplay. Strifes allow you to break those limitations, both allowing you to narratively change the scene, as well as mechanically give you advantages when needed. This all comes at the cost of drawbacks and Limit, where you pay a price for exerting yourself. It sets up a balance of great power, but sometimes at great cost.
              Is Limit here just a term that best describes the image you're trying to convey, or is this still tied into the Great Curse?

              Originally posted by Dragonmystic
              Projects
              A unified system to explain what your characters are doing in downtime, as well as how you can make world-changing events. Gather spy networks, create an artifact, establish a great reputation in the land, etc.

              Encounters
              A System to represent non-combat scenes, like a "Picard Speech", or a courtroom scene. It is far more of a framework than the other systems. I've used it to have an impromptu "Vogue-off" with my playtest group against a bunch of vain Fae, of all things.
              Those sound neat. The summary of Projects kind of gives me an image of being able to make decisions for navigating a montage; like a scene of mechanised character actions except where everything is playing out and being resolved in a timeframe that is not in direct personal moments.

              Hmm, I'm suddenly imagining an interesting interplay for that with artifact crafting; most of the process is taking place in that abstract timescale, but key dramatic moments in the process are mediated in the typical interpersonal scale. So like, most of the workhorse stuff is playing out in the downtime, but the part where you need to quench the blade in the fresh blood of an enemy happens in the normal playstyle.

              Originally posted by Dragonmystic
              Supernatural Abilities
              I want each Exalt to have a set number of "Supernatural" abilities. For example, the control over Fire for Dragonbloods, or Shapeshifting for Lunars. This is a nice way to encapsulate their special abilities into a place that allows for charms to descended from them.
              Are Charms for those still tied in some way to regular Abilities (and Attributes?)?

              Originally posted by Dragonmystic
              Why is it on this website?
              Google Docs died on me. I'm still fighting with the formatting sometimes on the website. :/
              I don't know anything about Discord and never do anything with it, but have heard some people say there's an active scene there. I'd like it to be able to hear any more about this and will keep an eye on this thread with interest, but if you're putting it here as a last resort when there's a possibility of somewhere you'd prefer more that you weren't aware of, I'd want you to know about the option.


              I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                That sounds interesting. Would it be a matter of that skillset bringing its milieu into the scene, or adjusting itself to fit the scene's milieu? Is the tinkerer making adjustments to structures in the courtroom, or is this the skill in question being applied to making testimonies or judgements?
                Here's some more specific examples:

                Combat uses the same basic framework as 3e: you do actions to gain points, and then spend those combo points on decisive actions. I call the gathering actions "Maneuvers," since they are more generalized than a feinting attack.

                During your action, you simply declare what your character is doing, and explaining how it grants you tactical advantage over the scene, then you roll (Att + Abi) on your action and gain the number in combo points. (if the Storyteller agrees this does in fact give you tactical advantage.) Feinting attacks, studying the battlefield, demoralizing the enemy through a speech, it's all based on how you feel your roleplay should be. I even had one of my playtesters (lore specialty) go and study a bunch of enemies, writing their movement patterns down in his book. (Hilariously, he rolled 0 successes.)

                In addition, there is the "Stunt effects" that you can do. Stuff like knockback, distract, create environmental hazards. If you can reasonably justify and stunt how your action causes the effects (and successfully roll against the difficulty), you can do it without the charms. Does require a stunt though.

                In this way, I really want combat and other subsystesms to be an *extension* of the core system.

                On top of this, for the added shine and pizzaz, I put charms/martial arts tecqniques to be the highlights, and what can really differentiate abilities from another.


                Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Is Limit here just a term that best describes the image you're trying to convey, or is this still tied into the Great Curse?
                Similar concept. Gain Limit, hit 10 or roll your limit trigger, go into a mental meltdown.

                One thing with Limit I really wanted to make sure happened is that it is almost all in the Player's control. There's a bit of randomness and environmental stuff thrown in, but it's primarily a choice of the Player whether or not they are going that way with their character. That way it should never feel like someone else is controlling your character for you.

                Initially I didn't have a limit mechanic, just telling players they should just act on their Great Curse when it felt narratively appropriate, but it turns out you do need a little push here and there.

                Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Those sound neat. The summary of Projects kind of gives me an image of being able to make decisions for navigating a montage; like a scene of mechanised character actions except where everything is playing out and being resolved in a timeframe that is not in direct personal moments.

                Hmm, I'm suddenly imagining an interesting interplay for that with artifact crafting; most of the process is taking place in that abstract timescale, but key dramatic moments in the process are mediated in the typical interpersonal scale. So like, most of the workhorse stuff is playing out in the downtime, but the part where you need to quench the blade in the fresh blood of an enemy happens in the normal playstyle.
                Pretty much!

                I also want to make sure it's a plot hook generator.

                Scale 0-3 are just "you spend the abstract resources you have gathered, describe to me how you're doing it, and bam. You did it." Scale 4-5 require going out and seeking a Keystone, a necessary component to getting your project to the next tier.

                For example, one of my players is trying to get his people to have great renown. He has been able to do that up to a "territory" size perfectly fine, but now to get it so where they are respected and known about across a Direction, he has to go out and either do a great deed that everyone talks about, or find someone that will be willing to spread the story.

                There's also a luck roll that can bring about potential complications that you have to deal with, which has the potential to spawn new stories.

                One of my players setup an assassin's guild network. Turns out Tenepeshu took notice of it, and they had a little meeting about it....


                Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Are Charms for those still tied in some way to regular Abilities (and Attributes?)?
                Depends on the charm. The shapeshifting "knacks", for example, only require your Shapeshifting ability. But something like "Clay-Wetting Practice" requiresa bit of Craft as well as Shapeshifting.

                It's all finding the right balance--not making the supernatural abilities used for everything, while still being heavily involved in the exalt.

                I also decided to just make all Exalts Ability based. Having attribute-based Exalts is a bit interesting, but with things like Universal Charms, and other design decisions it didn't really bring enough to the table to warrant including it.


                Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                I don't know anything about Discord and never do anything with it, but have heard some people say there's an active scene there. I'd like it to be able to hear any more about this and will keep an eye on this thread with interest, but if you're putting it here as a last resort when there's a possibility of somewhere you'd prefer more that you weren't aware of, I'd want you to know about the option.
                I've been there and left a couple of times. I mostly just post on the subreddit.

                I do have a discord channel dedicated to talking shop, linked on the website. It's pretty quiet.
                Last edited by Dragonmystic; 12-31-2020, 07:38 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Nice to see you back

                  Does your thing make any changes to the setting or is it just a rules hack?


                  “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                    Nice to see you back

                    Does your thing make any changes to the setting or is it just a rules hack?
                    Not really back, just dropping the info about this project.

                    It's just a rewrite of the rules. I throw tidbits around on anything that directly interacts with rules.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post
                      Depends on the charm. The shapeshifting "knacks", for example, only require your Shapeshifting ability. But something like "Clay-Wetting Practice" requiresa bit of Craft as well as Shapeshifting.
                      Is that just an offhand example or would you be leaning closer to a Second Edition portrayal of Lunars?


                      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                        Is that just an offhand example or would you be leaning closer to a Second Edition portrayal of Lunars?
                        My own interpretation of Lunars. Charm names and some inspriation will probably be from 2e, since I don't have the 3e book (not planning on getting anymore 3e books, unless I need to use them for reference). But there are a lot of the ideas I've heard of Lunars from the grapevine.

                        The general idea is that they have four Supernatural Abilities: Shapeshifting, Spirits, Wyld, and.... Beasts? (Not super set on that specific list). Lunars have a totem spirit, but aren't trapped into being only the "shapeshifter" Exalt. It's a major part of their identity, just not the only part.

                        My Lunar playtester went 100% in on shapeshifting though, so a lot of the charms I'm writing for him are focused on that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          All I'll say is that I think Fangs at the Gate has some very high quality content in terms of setting, characters and magic, and it would be a pity to miss out on.


                          I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                            All I'll say is that I think Fangs at the Gate has some very high quality content in terms of setting, characters and magic, and it would be a pity to miss out on.
                            I may pick up a pdf as reference when I get to Lunars. But they've really burned through any good will with 3e core and Dragonbloods.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What’s wrong with Dragon-Blooded?


                              He/him

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X