No announcement yet.

Exalted Reincarnated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the premise of this rewrite, I don't think it's necessary to delve into all of one's issues with Third Edition material that has already been read.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

I think it's helpful to know where the author is coming from. I understand the desire to avoid conflict and unnecessary criticism of the writers/devs but if your impetus is to fix "X" about Exalted then it would help me to know what X is -- especially if you're trying to fix something that I like.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

There's nothing really too controversial here, don't worry.

As someone who dislikes 3e, I was hoping that Dragonbloods with new authors would be less 3e in its charm design, and it really wasn't. Just more of the same. Really it's just a matter of "this is....kinda boring."

I picked it up to: A. For fluff inspiration. B. To take any inspiration of charms.

A. I just kinda go off and do my own thing with settings during a game. The fluff is nice but I'm probably not going to use anything more than what was stated in the 3e core anyway.

B. The charms are *really* tied to mechanics. I have a hard time pulling out the spirit of the charm. I already have the 2e book, and---completely separate of the mechanics--It works just as fine to extract the spirit and nature of "what is a Dragonblood?"

So it just kinda left me with "well...okay, why did I get this book then?"

Comment

Any interest in the Signature Charms?

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            Any interest in the Signature Charms?
            They tend to be on the more interesting charms? I wasn't really paying attention to Keywords since I'm not going to play 3e.

I dunno. I actually find the Charms to be really hard to parse, to be honest. I know the style of Exalted is to use a thousand loquacious words where one would suffice, but I wish they would just...tell me what the thing does. I feel like I'm solving a word problem with each charm.

Comment

I'd say you could readily adapt effects like enforcing hospitality when you're invited into a home with violent manifestations of wind and lightning.

Comment

I'd say you could readily adapt effects like enforcing hospitality when you're invited into a home with violent manifestations of wind and lightning.

Having a bit trouble finding those specific charms in the DB book. Probably? I'm sure there's a few charms I can use.

Comment

Anyway, let's move back to Exalted Reincarnated, since that's what this post is about.

It's going to be a bit hard sell here because this place is self-selected for people that like 3e, but I figured I might as well post it here. Maybe even pick up someone who wants to help smooth out any rough edges or talk shop.

Let's see...

Oh, Supernatural Martial Arts.

I don't have tiers on Martial Arts, but there is a natural way to designate whether or not it is, say, a "Sidereal" Martial Art---just require it to use a Sidereal's Supernatural Ability. For example, my Sidereal player wanted to be cupid, so we worked together and wrote the "Heartstring Weaver Style," which relies on both Archery and the "Serenity*" Supernatural Ability. You don't have to explain away anything---if you have the Serenity ability, you can learn the Martial Art.

Martial Arts are not necessarily more or less powerful than each other. They simply approach combat through different means.

I've moved the Deadly Beastman into a Lunar-specific Martial Arts. Of the current martial arts that I've written, it is probably the most terrifying in combat (but does little else, and is also extremely obvious. Might honestly be a bit too overpowered right now, may need to nerf it. Or increase other styles.) I feel this is a nice way to keep a core "rampaging werewolf" aspect of Lunars, while also not restricting them to it.

I'm also writing that the more your anima flares, the more your totem spirit and natural spirit merge, so you can still get the *visual* of the Deadly beastman without the form style.

The Magma Kraken style is a little experiment that I'm toying with. It's such a neat visual and cool thing, but it is always sad because by the time you've summoned it the combat is pretty much over anyway. So if I have a Magma Kraken Martial Art style, you would summon it immediately on combat start and have the flailing summoned lava tentacles everywhere. Definitely on the side of "cool, but also somewhat ridiculous" which could ruin the thematic of some games.

P.S. *Names are placeholders. May or may not stick with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post
                    It's going to be a bit hard sell here because this place is self-selected for people that like 3e,
                    Oh I don't know about that. There are quite a few threads hosting rewrites of entire Solar Abilities.

Comment

Hopefully, then, there are some of you that will enjoy it. I know my Playtest group and I have been having fun, and it seems to be serving us well. I'm really aiming for a strong, mechanical foundation that guides and directs your player, topped with a narrative override that allows you to ignore and break the rules when it is dramatically appropriate.

One thing I dislike about true "lite" systems that I'm trying to aim away from, is the fact that everything can start to feel the same, or that it completely relies on the GM to reign players in who want to be good at everything. I like having inspiration and guidance from rules to help solidify and answer the question "who is my character, what can they do, and importantly, what *can't* they do?"

It's why I look with great wariness at Essence. (Though I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.)

I'm very hopeful that since I've got all the core rules done, future Exalts and other aspects such as Sorcery and Martial Arts, will come out much faster. The groundwork is done, it's now time to put the exciting stuff on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post

Having a bit trouble finding those specific charms in the DB book.
                        That would be the Signature Air Investigation Charm.

Comment

That would be the Signature Air Investigation Charm.
                          "Warrant of Divine Safety".
                          Alright, yeah, that would be a fine one to carry over when I get to Dragonbloods. Narrative ones like that are better. Things like "Double 9's" I tend to avoid.

Comment

Alright, hit a important watermark: written the Universal and Solar Charms in Exalted Reincarnated! There's still a ton left to do, but it is an important watermark, and I'm happy with how it is working so far!

I am looking for co-authors and contributors to help speed this along (and make your own mark on this unofficial 4th edition). So if that sounds up your alley, jump on the discord!

Comment

Working...
                            X