Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[PEACH] Homebrew Artifact: The Eye of Autochthon (Artifact N/A)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PEACH] Homebrew Artifact: The Eye of Autochthon (Artifact N/A)

Y’all know what the Eye of Autochthon is.

The Eye of Autochthon looks like an immense, black pearl, half a yard in diameter, clamped into a tight-fitting nest of three gimbled rings that allow it to turn in any direction. Created by the Primordial Autochthon itself, it allows mortals to tap a tiny fraction of power older than time itself… if they dare.

Attunement: 5m (or 3WP for beings who lack a mote pool)
    Era: The Time Before Time

Evocations of The Eye of Autochthon

A power beyond mortal reason, the Eye of Autochthon is a sorcerous relic that can initiate its user into sorcery (as the Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes). It always counts as an Exotic Components Means, adding an extra roll to Sorcerous Workings.

A sorcerer who uses the Eye as a Means when reaching beyond the boundaries of their sorcerous initiation adds five bonus non-Charm dice to each roll, and the Eye provides two extra rolls instead of one, but they may not harness the power of the Eye on Finesse 5 Workings.

Work Thy Will
    Cost: (Special); Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

The Eye of Autochthon’s power may be harnessed directly to work wonderous changes on the world. This is represented by the Eye performing Sorcerous Workings. Such workings cost the Eye’s wielder XP as normal.

The Eye may only attempt Finesse 3 workings and counts as a Solar Circle Sorcerer. It may not attempt Ambition 3 Solar Workings. Workings attempted by the Eye have no Terminus, but the Eye may only attempt one Working at a time – making one roll each week. Once the Eye is employed to start a Working, it cannot be stopped.

The Eye’s dice pool is decided at the outset of the working. Characters with mote pools may spend up to ten motes (these motes are not committed): each mote provides one die for the Eye’s pool. Sorcerers may take Shape Sorcery Actions (rolling Intelligence + Occult): each Sorcerous Mote gathered adds a further die to the Eye’s pool, adding no more than ten dice. Sorcerers with mote pools may combine both methods (for a limit of 20 dice). Should a Shape Sorcery Action botch, this does not ruin the entire effort, but instead adds a Complication to the Working (as if it were a botch on the roll to complete the working).

Every Working completed by the Eye has an automatic Complication added to it. Workings that take more than seven rolls to complete gain an additional Complication. Should a Working accrue three or more Complications (for example, as a result of botches), the result is catastrophic. At the very least, each Complication becomes a Disastrous Consequence and the Eye’s wielder suffers a bizarre and permanent doom. It is very likely that everyone else within a mile or so also meets a grizzly end.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-30-2020, 06:07 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

I hate it. Terrible idea. Okay for a first draft, but it objectively sucks. Please don't use that in your games.

Let’s talk process then see if we can't do better.

3E’s Evocation system is all about building a legend with an artifact to unlock its power. An N/A Artifact like the Mantle of Brigid is an artifact because of its connection with a legendary sorcerer: one might pattern its Evocations on providing a bonus to sorcery, then maybe unlocking a single unknown spell of a higher tier, then a bonus on workings going beyond the boundaries, then a new sorcerous initiation into a higher circle of sorcery as you grow into the legend as the inheritor of the Mantle. That is explicitly not what I want from the Eye: it should be a pick-up and go. A kingmaker.

The Eye of Autochthon is an artifact that could do anything the narrative needs it to do. This doesn’t mean it can do anything. You can’t wave your hand and make everyone across the multiverse be kind to each other. You can’t casually rewrite the Deathlords out of existence. And, as ever, decisions are meaningful – no time travel, no resurrection.

I don’t want the Eye to be all ST fiat. It doesn’t have to use the established 3E rules, but it needs rules. Zaleramancer posted a neat idea on the Discord: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The Eye got a writeup in 1E. It required spending a large number of motes: the sample power given in the 1E Storyteller’s Companion costs 15m to use the Eye. Not to attune to the Eye, like, each time you wanted to use it.

The Eye’s strongest association is with the sorcerer Bagrash Köl. Whilst I don’t think one should have to be a sorcerer, I think it should help. The Eye can also explicitly be used by mortals.

All the Eye’s previous users have come to a bad end. Were I to introduce the Eye to a game, I wouldn’t want it to be a trap option – I’d want it to be a powerful tool. Something that could reliably solve problems, but something you wouldn’t use casually to solve every problem.

The Eye should reflect the themes of the Primordial Autochthon. And, ideally, its write up from 1E.

The Eye doesn’t do personal scale combat.

Now with all this in mind… I think the above does a mediocre job of hitting all the high notes. But I think we can do better. So let’s try that one again.

Y’all know what the Eye of Autochthon is.

The Eye of Autochthon looks like an immense, black pearl, half a yard in diameter, clamped into a tight-fitting nest of three gimbled rings that allow it to turn in any direction. Created by the Primordial Autochthon itself, it allows mortals to tap a tiny fraction of power older than time itself… if they dare.

Attunement: 5m (or 3WP for beings who lack a mote pool)
    Era: The Time Before Time

Evocations of The Eye of Autochthon

A power beyond mortal reason, the Eye of Autochthon is a sorcerous relic that can initiate its user into sorcery (as the Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes). It always counts as an Exotic Components Means, adding an extra roll to Sorcerous Workings.

Further, the Eye is a powerful nexus of order. The mere presence of the Eye quells all disturbances of land, sea, air, and Essence for three miles around it. The earth does not quake; storms and waves calm; the Wyld itself subsides and stabilizes. The Fair Folk wither and die in a few minutes if they enter the Eye’s zone of power – this is handled narratively, but a significant character (such as a PC) should treat being within three miles of the Eye as exposure to the Silent Wind of Hell (Exalted Core Rulebook, page 232). No wind blows beyond a mild, steady breeze. Charms and Sorcery have their normal immediate effect, but any ongoing effect has its duration cut in half (scene-long and similar effects without a fixed duration should be adjudicated by the ST – generally, reducing duration to three rounds for a scene-long effect is appropriate). No-one in the area suffers Wyld contamination. Magical effects which summon storms or earthquakes fail.

The power of the Eye carries a constant risk – should the Eye’s wielder roll a botch when employing the Eye’s powers, they suffer a bizarre and permanent doom. This doom might be confined to the user themselves but may expand as far as the Eye’s three-mile radius: typically, the doom will affect everyone within a mile. The sorcerer Bagrash Köl’s flying kingdom disappeared, never to be seen again. Manosque Viridian and half of his army fell into the sky. The Prophet Ikerre and her caravan turned to statues made of a strange crystal. Player Characters (but not the Eye’s wielder) should generally be given a chance to escape the doom

Hand of the Machine God
    Cost: 15m; Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisites: None

The Eye’s wielder may use this Evocation to attune to a demesne or manse they can see. This attunement may not be blocked by the existing holders.

This Evocation may also be used to perform mystical acts of mechanical legerdemain: non-magical machines in sight, or magical machines the wielder owns, may be activated or deactivated remotely. Likewise, cosmetic changes may be instantly made to such machines, warping them to the will of the Eye’s wielder. Using this Evocation, the Eye can be used as superior crafting tools for any Craft project, eliminating the need for lesser tools and adding one non-Charm success for using superior equipment.

This Evocation unlocks for free when an Essence user attunes to the Eye.

Favored Servant Initiation
    Cost: -; Mins: Essence 1

Humans posses make use of Autochthon’s two favorite creations: tools and faith.

When a human (or Jadeborn) without a mote pool attunes to the Eye of Autochthon attunes to the Eye, this Evocation unlocks for free. Essence users may buy this Evocation for the normal cost.

The Eye’s Wielder may take Shape Sorcery Actions to gather sorcerous motes and may spend sorcerous motes to pay the mote cost of the Eye of Autochthon’s Evocations.

Forge of Creation
    Cost: - (20m); Mins: Essence 1

The Eye of Autochthon’s wielder counts as a Solar Circle Sorcerer for the purposes of Sorcerous Workings when working their power through the Eye.

The Eye has limited power warp the land of Creation proper – it can close Shadowlands and Wyld Zones, but it cannot create them. Nor can it make large-scale changes to the topography of Creation. It can be used to form new demesnes in Creation, but such demesnes are always reflections of the existing order (the Eye can be used to create a Wood Aspected demesne in the middle of a great eastern forest which is teaming with life, for example, but not an Abyssal demesne in that same location). The Eye draws on Autochthon’s power to establish order and works on his themes as a crafter and artisan: Workings enhanced by the Eye must follow this paradigm (which, generally, is purely cosmetic). Ambition 3 Solar Workings are beyond the power of this Evocation.

When using this Evocation, the Eye provides an additional Means (for a total of two).

By paying a 20m surcharge, the Eye can complete any Finesse 1 Working in a single week without a roll.

Using Forge of Creation for a Working always adds an automatic Complication to the Working. This Complication cannot be prevented by any known method. Should the Eye's wielder fail to realize their Working when their Terminus expires, they may roll again - though doing so adds another Complication to the Working. Should the Working still fail, the Eye's wielder may add as many additional rolls as they need to in order to succeed, but each roll causes a Disasterous Concequence - whether the working succeeds or fails.

Work Thy Will
    Cost: 15m, 1wp, 2xp; Mins: Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Duration: Instant

This Evocation functions as the Solar Charm, Wyld Shaping Technique, with some differences as outlined below. If the Eye’s wielder knows that Charm, this Evocation unlocks for free.

This Evocation may not be activated in Creation proper, but (unlike Wyld Shaping Technique) it need not be activated in the Deep Wyld. Instead, it may be activated in the Boardermarches, Middlemarches, Deep Wyld, a shadowland, or any other Essence-soaked reality (such as within a Demesne, Malfeas or Yu Shan). However, the energies released by the Eye have a stabilizing effect: Wyld Zones decrease by a level or close entirely, and Shadowlands and demesnes revert back to stable areas of Creation when this Charm is used within their boarders - only the raging chaos of the Deep Wyld can sustain repeated use of this Charm.

Using the Eye does not deactivate Chaos-Repelling Pattern and it is generally not necessary to make Encounter Rolls – use of the Eye in the Wyld certainly draws the ire of the Wyld’s denizens, but the stabilizing nature of the Eye tends to obliterate them before they can meaningfully oppose the Eye’s wielder.

Finally, instead of rolling (Intelligence + Lore), the Eye’s wielder rolls a flat 20 dice, which may not be enhanced by their own Charms.

A Kingdom of Dreams
    Cost: -; Mins: Essence 1
    Prerequisites: Work Thy Will

Upon learning this Evocation, the Eye’s master chooses one of the Essence 3 Solar Charms which enhance Wyld Shaping Technique (Hero-Induction Method, Wyld Cauldron Mastery, Wyld-Called Weapon, Wyld Forging Focus, or Tome-Rearing Gesture): they gain access to this Charm when using Work Thy Will.

They may buy access to the other Charms for 3XP each.

A Solar who knows these Charms natively unlocks their effects for the Eye at no experience cost.

Master of Creation
    Cost: -; Mins: Essence 3
    Prerequisites: A Kingdom of Dreams

This Evocation functions as Kingdom of Dreams, but for the Essence 4 and 5 Solar Charms which enhance Wyld Shaping Technique (Sevenfold Savant Mantle (which adds 5 dice instead of a Full Excellency), Power Beyond Reason, Manse-Raising Method, Demiurgic Suspiration, or Savant of Nine Glories).
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-08-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Looks good! This is about how powerful I expected one of the most famous artifact N/A should be.

Comment

Why can't the Eye perform Ambition 3 Solar workings?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
          Why can't the Eye perform Ambition 3 Solar workings?
          Same reason a Terrestrial Circle Sorcerer can't and why an Occult Supernal can't buy Celestial Circle Sorcery.

And I couldn't think of any reason why it should be able to.

Comment

WARNING: Do not use while sick.

Comment

Bagrash Kol tried to use the Eye to cure his boneitus, but got an automatic botch, yes. This is canon now.

(I think one should probably be in the "pribe ob libe" when wrestling with the cosmic forces that created the universe.)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post

Same reason a Terrestrial Circle Sorcerer can't and why an Occult Supernal can't buy Celestial Circle Sorcery.

And I couldn't think of any reason why it should be able to.
                Maybe I don't understand what the Eye is. I thought it was a tool created by Autochthon to help Him engineer Creation and reality itself. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post

Maybe I don't understand what the Eye is. I thought it was a tool created by Autochthon to help Him engineer Creation and reality itself. No?
                  Sure. But how does it help?

A hammer helps build a house, but you can't use a hammer to build every part of a house.

I can't give any examples of the Eye casting cities into alternate dimensions or rewriting the laws of the universe.

It made a flying castle. It closed shadow lands. It steals manses.

Comment

Anyway, the heck is with “+1 or 2 Means?” Get that weak shit outa here. NO TERMINUS.

If you can use Work Thy Will on a shadowland then you can definitely use it on a demesne, even if that’s already supposed to be implicit it should definitely be explicit instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                      Anyway, the heck is with “+1 or 2 Means?” Get that weak shit outa here. NO TERMINUS.
                      I think it's better if you can fail. And having one artifact obliterate the advantages of having a network of sorcerers, being a world class expert in what you're working, and having a first age library is kinda lame.

Two means is on a par with having the corpse of a Deathlord, a large organisation of Solar Sorcerers, or a Factory Cathedral.

But maybe something like the original draft where you can keep going after the terminus expires by adding Complications to the working.

Plus, a Solar 2 Working needs 50 successes. Without stunting or Willpower, you're hitting a Finesse 1 Working 99.63% of the time with seven rolls on Intelligence 5 Occult 5 and Excellency. Roughly 80% of the time at Finesse 3. Let's have some reason for folks to invest other than the Excellency.

Although, I'm not against having the Eye automatically succeed at Finesse 1 Workings without a roll...

Comment

I feel like being able to keep going after terminus by adding complications really fits with the "incredible power at the cost of probably dooming yourself" thing this artifact has going on.

Comment

How's this:

Forge of Creation
                          Cost: - (20m); Mins: Essence 1

The Eye of Autochthon’s wielder counts as a Solar Circle Sorcerer for the purposes of Sorcerous Workings when working their power through the Eye.

The Eye has limited power warp the land of Creation proper – it can close Shadowlands and Wyld Zones, but it cannot create them. Nor can it make large-scale changes to the topography of Creation. It can be used to form new demesnes in Creation, but such demesnes are always reflections of the existing order (the Eye can be used to create a Wood Aspected demesne in the middle of a great eastern forest which is teaming with life, for example, but not an Abyssal demesne in that same location). The Eye draws on Autochthon’s power to establish order and works on his themes as a crafter and artisan: Workings enhanced by the Eye must follow this paradigm (which, generally, is purely cosmetic). Ambition 3 Solar Workings are beyond the power of this Evocation.

When using this Evocation, the Eye provides an additional Means (for a total of two).

By paying a 20m surcharge, the Eye can complete any Finesse 1 Working in a single week without a roll.

Using Forge of Creation for a Working always adds an automatic Complication to the Working. This Complication cannot be prevented by any known method. Should the Eye's wielder fail to realize their Working when their Terminus expires, they may roll again - though doing so adds another Complication to the Working. Should the Working still fail, the Eye's wielder may add as many additional rolls as they need to in order to succeed, but each roll causes a Disastrous Consequence - whether the working succeeds or fails, something goes horrifically wrong (such Workings do not cost XP if the Consequences would undermine the point of the Working).

Comment

Working...
                          X