Brainstorming a Hearthstone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming a Hearthstone

My players have discovered and occupied (but not yet attuned to) the Manse of the Invisible Flame. Located near Gem, the Invisible Flame is a First Age power station, designed to draw Essence from the Elemental Pole of Fire and transmit it to other manses throughout the South. Most of these manses have since been destroyed, either in the Usurpation or by decay over the intervening centuries.

I've got a couple of ideas for the manse's Hearthstone(s):

Receptor Ignis (Standard Hearthstone)
    Once per scene, as a combat action, the bearer rolls Wits + Occult and immediately gains motes equal to their successes. If the bearer is a sorcerer, they may instead choose to gain sorcerous motes.

Blasting Stone (Standard Hearthstone)
    The Blasting Stone produces gusts of flame with incredible force; its specific effects depend on the type of artifact in which it is housed. When socketed into armor, this Hearthstone enables its bearer to move [Essence] range bands in any direction, including straight up, as a reflexive action, at a cost of 3m. When socketed into a melee weapon, the stone's bearer may instead make regular melee attacks out to short range for 3m per attack, or medium range for 5m per attack. When socketed into a ranged weapon, the Blasting Stone applies double 10s to its decisive damage rolls.

It's a neat idea, I'd love to hear more about your game. I assume you want feedback on your hearthstone ideas, yeah?

Receptor Ignis

Surging Inner Fire is a Simple Solar Charm that restores motes. It's Essencce 4, requires Lore 5 and 6 prerequist charms, and restores between 2 and 18 motes (we'll call it an average of 8) then ups mote regeneration. This is restoring 0-22 motes (we'll call it an average of 5), and doesn't up regen, but can be used for sorcerous motes (which helps with mobility if nothing else). Clearly this is less powerful that SIF, but I'm not convinced it's Standard Hearthstone. Can we call this a Greater Manse? If so, job done - looks fine.

If we're limiting it to Standard... maybe it can only be used once per day? And maybe it can only restore Peripheral Motes?
    Or, maybe scrap the roll completely, have it restore a flat 10m, but then deactivate the normal mote regeneration of the manse for a day?
    Or, maybe the scorging fire Essence inflicts a level of Lethal damage when you use it?

Blasting Stone

No. Just... no.

Moving (Essence) rangebands is hella broken. I don't even know where to start on fixing that one (unless... like... maybe if you took falling damage from being shunted so rapidly in that direction).

Melee attacks out to Short... Sand Wind Attack is Decisive Only, Short Range only, costs 5m 2i and has 2 pre-reqs. A Standard Hearthstone is doing stuff like giving your weapon the Reaching Tag or the Thrown (Short) tag. A Greater Hearthstone is probably okay to do this... and only this (no alternate effects if you socket it into a ranged weapon or armor). And only if you still have to Aim to make Medium range attacks. For a Standard Hearthstone to do this, I'd want to see it as the Hearthstone having Evocations you have to buy - one for Short Range (at Essence 1) and a seperate one for Medium Range (at Essence 3).

Double-10s on Ranged Decisives is probably okay on a Standard Hearthstone. If this is the only effect the Hearthstone has.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-02-2021, 09:08 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I'm ok with making both of them Greater Hearthstones.

For the Blasting Stone, how about this: allows ranged attacks to Medium range with a melee weapon, using the Thrown accuracy table and with a requirement to Aim at Short or Medium range; or doubles 10s on Ranged Decisives (i.e., Decisive attacks made with an inherently ranged weapon, not ranged attacks with a melee weapon). Better?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
        I'm ok with making both of them Greater Hearthstones.

For the Blasting Stone, how about this: allows ranged attacks to Medium range with a melee weapon, using the Thrown accuracy table and with a requirement to Aim at Short or Medium range; or doubles 10s on Ranged Decisives (i.e., Decisive attacks made with an inherently ranged weapon, not ranged attacks with a melee weapon). Better?
        Yeah, I think that just scans.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I think I'm probably going to go with Receptor Ignis. It fits the manse's nature better; the idea is that it's a portable receiver for the Essence being transmitted from the manse.

Comment

Working...
          X