Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Behemoths

"Welcome... to your demise!"

Behold the Landscaper! A heaving abomination the size of a yeddim, it's skin bubbling like soup in a pot! Behold it's form, shifting like liquid, like a great many-limbed elephant! Gaze upon it's unholy purplish glow, turning the sky into an unholy hue! Behold it's symbiotic abominations, creatures that are shaken off it in an ever cascading waterfall like fleas off a dog, sent out to rearrange the world around it!* Behold it's psychic might, tearing apart entire hills and digging trenches!

The Eternally Obsessed Landscaper is an immense abomination crafted to tame the wild and unploughed places, even down to the Wyld itself. It's zone of influence is one that imposes civilization and order. In its zone of influence (long/ extreme range), digging ditches, uprooting trees, and building houses becomes easier. It's symbiotes cannot leave this zone, going to one end and then appearing at another end. It's vast psychic might does the brute and crude work, tearing down entire mountains, shifting the course of rivers, and tearing down thousand-year trees. The symbiotes that cascade off from the bubbles on its skin does the finer, more precise work.

Larger creatures the size of tyrant lizards grasp at tree trunks and boulders, and arrange them in neat piles. Vast mountains of corpses of woodland animals are arranged in heaps of bleeding matter. Hunter-killer drones dive down towards Dogs of the Broken Earth or Forest Kings, overwhelming them with sheer force of numbers. River-dragon sized creatures then cut the tree trunks into planks and the boulders into bricks and mortar. Horse-size creatures then begin the process of assembly, stacking one brick on top of another, while other creatures put in cement and mortar-analogues. The process is repeated until the microscopic symbiotes eat away and rearrange the surfaces of stones, leaving a smoothly paved roads where there was once wild forest, with warehouses filled to the brim with smoked and salted meat and fields already cleared of all stones, with a basic irrigation system already built in place where there was once a raging river.

The Eternally Obsessed Landscaper cannot produce complex electronics or delicate murals. But it can tear down entire hills to make smoothly paved roads, impenetrable forests to fallow fields, and, annihilate entire armies. Entire elemental courts have been torn to pieces. Insurgent wood-aspects have been cut to pieces. One or two Lesser Elemental Dragon of Wood have been swallowed by its gaping maw. And more than one fae-court has found itself under assult by a veritable rain of deadly symbiotes, abominations falling from the sky with psychokinetic and pyrokinetic powers to destroy their crystal gardens. Their delicate, perfect bodies wracked by disease and poison, sores weeping glass.

A tool of brute force.

It has long since been rampaging throughout Creation ever since the First Age fell. It's field of power is vast, stretching from horizon to horizon, but Creation is far vaster. More than once, it has been followed by desperate groups of refugees or those with nothing left, who live in the aftermath of it crashing through Creation's wilderness. It has entered the wyld and exited after centuries of being missing, often retreading it's old haunts that have been swallowed up by the jungle. It avoids civilization and human habitation, and is generally not prone to attacking humans... though a poorly though out attack to drive it off often provokes it to an onslaught. So far, no one has found a way to control it, it's deadly mind and thunderous will smashing aside most attempts to command it. Whoever succeeds will find themselves leashed to a biomechanical titan who's predilection to create is only through sheer chance.

*If you want to visualize it, think of it as a cross between a starcraft Zerg Leviathan and Primal Leader Slivan

I like it. Not sure about the name, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
      I like it. Not sure about the name, though.
      *shrugs*

I asked on discord for a name. This was what I got.

I should have probably called it 'The Eternal scar on the world'.

Comment

I don't think the "abomination" and "unholy" language really serves the concept. This sounds like a behemoth to me: a prototype of the concept of civilization. It wouldn't surprise me if Wyld-Shaping Technique and its dependent Charms were invented by watching this thing in action. Maybe the World-Shaper? Wyld-Tamer? All-Builder? Meh, I'll think about it some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkonen View Post
          I don't think the "abomination" and "unholy" language really serves the concept. This sounds like a behemoth to me: a prototype of the concept of civilization. It wouldn't surprise me if Wyld-Shaping Technique and its dependent Charms were invented by watching this thing in action. Maybe the World-Shaper? Wyld-Tamer? All-Builder? Meh, I'll think about it some more.
          Hmm...

It's more like I'm trying to put in the 'feeling' of seeing it in action. It'll never win a beauty contest, that's for sure. In fact, it always looks a bit off to someone with conventional aesthetics. It'll elicit a reaction of 'cool!' from someone who likes zerg and tyranids (i.e. me) but with the purple glowing, the constant stream of symbiotes, and the trypophobia? Yeah, most people are going to be running scared.

It's currently a toss up if it's a Behemoth made in the First Age (probably by DBs or Sidereals to help in their terraforming efforts) or a primordial-made being from the Time Before that was the inspiration for Wyuld-shaping technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            Hmm...

It's more like I'm trying to put in the 'feeling' of seeing it in action. It'll never win a beauty contest, that's for sure. In fact, it always looks a bit off to someone with conventional aesthetics. It'll elicit a reaction of 'cool!' from someone who likes zerg and tyranids (i.e. me) but with the purple glowing, the constant stream of symbiotes, and the trypophobia? Yeah, most people are going to be running scared.

It's currently a toss up if it's a Behemoth made in the First Age (probably by DBs or Sidereals to help in their terraforming efforts) or a primordial-made being from the Time Before that was the inspiration for Wyuld-shaping technique.

The Zerg/Tyrannid vibe is strong on this one indeed.

"Psychic might" and "symbiotes" are things that i definitely wouldn't relate to a Behemoth of Primordial creation, that tend to go for a more elemental/mythological vibe overall. Some living constructs of Exalted making (like Lodestar) in previous editions have a definitely "sorcery as weird science" aesthetic that would go better with this beast, imho.

There's also the fact that, based on the descriptions, a bunch of tireless critters landscaping/leveling whole tracts of land, its capabilities sound somewhat more "mundane" than Wyld-Shaping.
            That along with its focus in "taming lands for civilization" instead of "making unreal places and things part of the world", makes me think its makers were beings of a defnitely less puisant nature than Primordials or Solar exalted.

In fact first thought is that it was made by either dragon-blooded or unexalted sorcerers as a sort of "sorcerous siege weapon" to be sent in the wild places that nomadic people or guerilla groups might see as hideouts or homes, what would with some Shogunate daimyos dealing with the issue of Lunar enclaves & followers in a bizarre but brutally efficient manner.

All of that said, "psychic" and "hive mind" are two things that might be considered quite thematic to SWLIHN and its charms as portrayed in 2nd edition and particularly MoEP: Infernals, so reimagining it as beholden to her (maybe a 2nd circle soul?) would be just a matter of tweaking visuals - less purple and bubbly, foaming oozy flesh, more crystal and ghost-fires, i guess.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 01-17-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              There's also the fact that, based on the descriptions, a bunch of tireless critters landscaping/leveling whole tracts of land, its capabilities sound somewhat more "mundane" than Wyld-Shaping.
              That along with its focus in "taming lands for civilization" instead of "making unreal places and things part of the world", makes me think its makers were beings of a defnitely less puisant nature than Primordials or Solar exalted.

In fact first thought is that it was made by either dragon-blooded or unexalted sorcerers as a sort of "sorcerous siege weapon" to be sent in the wild places that nomadic people or guerilla groups might see as hideouts or homes, what would with some Shogunate daimyos dealing with the issue of Lunar enclaves & followers in a bizarre but brutally efficient manner.
              A thing to note is that it *can* transform wyld into solid ground. It's just quite a bit more difficult for it. And it also can't do some of the really weird shenanigans and shit solar wyld shaping can get up to...

This guy ain't making the five magical materials or demenses, but it can make solid land all the same. Just think of it like that opening scene in heart of the swarm.

But yep. Weaker. If I were to make it stronger, I'll make it a weird ass piano or bell or violin. Whose music and beats rewrite the world around them, as reality dances to their beat

Comment

A thing to note is that it *can* transform wyld into solid ground. It's just quite a bit more difficult for it. And it also can't do some of the really weird shenanigans and shit solar wyld shaping can get up to...

This guy ain't making the five magical materials or demenses, but it can make solid land all the same. Just think of it like that opening scene in heart of the swarm.
                Curiously, there was a dragon-blooded charm in Aspectbook: Earth that does something along those lines, if memory tricks me not.

But yep. Weaker. If I were to make it stronger, I'll make it a weird ass piano or bell or violin. Whose music and beats rewrite the world around them, as reality dances to their beat
                Yes, there are many ways to go with a "full behemoth" take upon it for sure. I was kind of sketching out a "Heraldic Beast", a entity that spreads the sacred message of its makers, turning all those who listen to its hyms and sermons or consume the manna/lotus/soma it summons from heavens into ecstasic worshippers/junkies marked by its influence, always ready to hear and follow up on its messages and instructions, toppling the mundane and eliminating the ignorant or unbelieving for the sake of building a perfected world of its vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Curiously, there was a dragon-blooded charm in Aspectbook: Earth that does something along those lines, if memory tricks me not.

Yes, there are many ways to go with a "full behemoth" take upon it for sure. I was kind of sketching out a "Heraldic Beast", a entity that spreads the sacred message of its makers, turning all those who listen to its hyms and sermons or consume the manna/lotus/soma it summons from heavens into ecstasic worshippers/junkies marked by its influence, always ready to hear and follow up on its messages and instructions, toppling the mundane and eliminating the ignorant or unbelieving for the sake of building a perfected world of its vision.
                  Hha! That sounds like something an Cecylene-favoring infernal would do! I'll throw in a celestial working to give beneficial mutations to those who consume the mana, so they get an advantage and to attract worshippers. Like the sweet smell of a pitcher plant.

*checks*

I don't see any there, I'm afraid.

Comment

As far as its basic approach and disposition this makes a fine behemoth. It's a creature with single-minded intent, dangerous out of this strange drive, and big enough to make good on it. I can see this as a mahicara-scale problem, but I definitely would lose it longer on the wyld and the edges of creation, keep it a bit more myth than findable.

Is this creature of primordial origin? Or maybe before? Or maybe this was a wyld-spawn that did essentially the opposite until <insert first age or pre first age superpowers here> turned it on itself?

And for the name... This is a good title. Dead and dying languages are good sources for phonetics if you want to give it a proper name. Nahupa? Shu-Galki?

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                      As far as its basic approach and disposition this makes a fine behemoth. It's a creature with single-minded intent, dangerous out of this strange drive, and big enough to make good on it. I can see this as a mahicara-scale problem, but I definitely would lose it longer on the wyld and the edges of creation, keep it a bit more myth than findable.

Is this creature of primordial origin? Or maybe before? Or maybe this was a wyld-spawn that did essentially the opposite until <insert first age or pre first age superpowers here> turned it on itself?

And for the name... This is a good title. Dead and dying languages are good sources for phonetics if you want to give it a proper name. Nahupa? Shu-Galki?
                      What on earth are those names from?

Comment

What on earth are those names from?
                        The most scuffed inca and akkadian names I ever spliced in my life during a 30 seconds "give me the vaguest meanings to play into a name here please" vibe of trying to write this while the boss is pinging me asking for a new unit test.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

.... you know what?

Lioness , can you change the title of 'a few behemoths'? I don't want to throw in a new thread every time I think of a new big monster.

Comment

The Thunder-Dragon

An immense hulking beast that towers over a man, the size of a River Dragon. A movement that is both smooth and jerky, body twitching with over-enhanced relfexes as lightning races through what passes for veins and nerves. Black musculature composed from spun diamond is exposed to the air, able to blend into the darkest cave if not for the errant bit of liquid lightning that drips from it. A mouthless head with glowing eyes sticks from it's body, moving from side to side as if an AT-AT cockpit. 6 limbs, all clawed, capable of crushing through stone and handling a fine china cup, all capable of extending deadly claws.

The Thunder-Dragon is a creature. It's speed, strength, power, are all phenomenal, capable of matching younger DBs in question. It is not meant for direct combat with powerful heroes or champions, though. It's meant to strike at infrastructure, and not just aqueducts, grain stores, or bridges, though it's electrically charge claws can make short work of anything not composed out of the magical materials. It's lightning is harmful to any humans, capable of causing terrible burns and leaping from person to person. Within its chest beat the heart of a Lesser Dragon of Air.

The Thunder-Dragon was the Creation of a Fair Folk, taking essence from an enslaved Storm Serpent and binding it into a body of darkness and gemstones, creating the abomination. It then unleashed it on the homes of the Outcaste Dragonblooded, Mighty Winds of the Mountain. A mighty hero who was the epitome of a Dragonblooded General, the outcaste had repulsed the Fair One's forces dozens of times over. The Thunder Dragon did its work, killing porters, support networks, farmers, blacksmiths, and the great people needed to keep an army alive. Mighty Winds of the Mountain rallied his forces and tried to hunt them down, but the swift beast could not be captured by him. And in the end, Mighty Wind's army was starving, without supplies or reinforcements, and trapped in the midst of the desert, and Mighty Wind's head now decorates a pavilion in the Wyld. And the Thunder Dragon was set loose in the scavenger land for it's master's amusement.

Movement charms:

ADAPTABLE GAIT: The Thunder-Dragon's six limbs move like blurs, seamlessly compensating for unstable footing and slippery surfaces. The Thunder Dragon can ignore all but the most treacherous areas and terrains. Slippery ice, quicksand, and unsteady footing are all ignored, and for the cost of motes per range band, it's movement can obtain a dream-like quality, letting it 'fly' across cliffs and run on the air itself.

TWISTED LIGHTNING: The Thunder-Dragon has no true joints, and is unseemingly fast and agile for anything so large. It can move through any hole or obstruction that a cat can move through, and has double-9s for getting out of grapples. As long as it is moving, it gains a [x] bonus succesess to dodge any attack.

[x]: The Thunder-Dragon can, once in 3 days, turn itself into a form of lightning, moving at imperceptible speeds, near impossible to hit save with a perfect attack that can also strike spirits, depositing it in a place at Extreme Range. This, in the end, was what killed Mighty Winds. He could not pin it down, and could not kill it. It can be stopped by powerful Wards and spells that stop teleportation, or an attack that would force it to abort the charm. Once aborted, the charm cannot be used save for 3 days again.

Defensive charms:

AUTOMATED DEFENSIVE CLOAK: Each time an enemy uses an attack on it, liquid lightning leaps out to strike at its foes, harming any enemy within short range of it. The lightning bolts ignore armour not composed out of the magical materials and in fact do more damage the heavier the armour is, gaining an extra dice of damage per dot.

MALFORMED BODY: The Thunder-Dragon has no vital organs save for the Lightning Heart buried deep in its chest. It does not receive wound penalties from injuries, and heals all wounds like an exalt.

CONFLICT OVERDRIVE: Conflict excites the Thunder-Dragon, and so does the thought of danger itself. The Thunder Dragon gains increased speed and dexterity for each health level it loses, gaining [x]

Offensive charms:

HYPERSONIC REFLEXES: Roll double [x]s for the Thunder Dragon's initiative.

BLOOD SACRIFICE: Upon kiling a character, bolts of snarling energy leap out of the corpse to impale his companions. Up to 5 people in short range get subject to a one-time attack.

Electrified claws: A strike by the Thunder Dragon involves [x] dice of damage that ignores armour. The claws are beyond sharp, not constrained by the laws of ordinary matter. The Thunder Dragon gains [x] to feats of demolition and destruction, claws cutting through granite and steel like air, and ignores [x] levels of soak.

An: I'll fill out the rest later.
                            Last edited by Accelerator; 01-20-2021, 04:01 AM.

Comment

THE ENTOMBED FLAGELLANT, THE EVER-REPEATING GHOSTS

A dense fog appears on a lonely mountain range. A young girl is lost within it, the fog having appeared while she was out to get water. Lacking her sight, she wanders off the path and falls off a cliff. Her body broken, she calls out weakly with blood in her mouth, begging anyone, ANYONE, for help. But the dense fog ensures none see her, and her broken and bloodied lungs ensure her voice is weak and soft, too far from the cliff edge for anyone above her to hear. She dies slowly, internal injuries bleeding out, starving to death if carrion-eaters do not claim her first. A lonely death surrounded by none but her own pain and grief.

Why was she abandoned? Why are the spirits not coming to help her, like the stories once said they would? Why isn't her family looking for her? Don't they love her? Where is everybody? Why has she been abandoned? A lonely death, surrounded by none but her own pain and despair. She dies wondering why she is alone. Why is she suffering? Why is she hated? What did she do wrong?

THIS IS NOT FAIR.

This is nonsensical, of course. But the girl can be forgiven for thinking such thoughts in her darkest hours. And the ghost that rises.... Well, in the first few days she might have the faculties to set herself at peace or call for help using her new state. But on the 4th, the last traces of humanity fades, and the only thing left is the pain, the sorrow, the despair, the burning resentment. She haunts the area, seeking to address the injustice done to her. If she's done nothing wrong and yet suffers, and there is no redress? Then everyone else suffers too. She draws in fog, uses voices and hallucinations to drive others off the edge. Or more cruelly, she puppets their bodies and marches them to their doom, savoring the panic and horror as their traitor limbs send them to the final fall. And as they die, whisper her hatred, her despair, her misery, so that they may rise like her. Some disagree and simply fall to lethe. Others, in pain and in their weakest state, fall to her sermons, and rise as more Entombed Flagellants.

Her corpse is no longer a lonely body at the bottom of the cliff. Soon, it has many friends. And their ghosts join her. They forget who killed her. But they remember the pain. The resentment. The despair. And they now join her in inflicting pain on the world.

Entombed Flagellants are those who curse the world, and die alone and in the cold. They are the abused child whom the community averts their eyes, beaten to death by their fathers. They are the lonely widows, left to die, shunned by their neighbours. They are those who have the roof collapse on them, and die in the suffocating darkness. They are the social outcast used as a scapegoat. They are dangerous, and one Flagellant can lead to another. It should be noted that an Entombed Flagellant is someone who specifically seeks to replicate the circumstances of their death. And not all those who die cursing the apathy and cruelty of others rise as them. They are a rarity amongst the ghosts, but where they exist, they can produce horrific results. Many an amatuer exorcist has lit their blue lanterns, seeking to find the cause of several disappearances, only to realize that it is not one ghost, but dozens, even hundreds.

And then, once in a Cursed Comet*, or perhaps when the gods are feeling cruel, entire groups of Entombed Flagellants would descend upon the nearest village, shadowland, or nearby city, to slaughter their inhabitants. A catalysm of terrible proportions as dozens if not hundreds, and in one well known case, thousands of ghosts marching as one towards a human habitation, seeking to destroy themin a bloody orgy of bloodshed. At this point, the humans are willing to partner with anyone that has a hope of destroying this catalysm, whether it's a Wyld Hunt, Fair Folk, Beastmen, Anathema, or even Demons.**

* "...Once in a cursed comet." Comets are often seen as transformations of the world, where something has occurred so drastically that the stars reorder themselves to better reflect fate. The stars which do not fit in the new plan are now redundant, and are sent crashing to the ground in a display of celestial brilliance. This can harbor good news, like the Dragonblooded discovery of the cure for Shepherd's Rot, which sent ten thousand plans for Heaven crashing down and forced the entirety of the Five-Fold Fellowship into overtime (it was only due to the personal intervention of Chejop Kejack the inventor still lived), which saved millions of lives. Or it can harbor bad news, like the first hours of the Great Contagion and Balorian Crusade, where astronomers of all areas began shouting in terror as before their eyes, the stars began to fall en masse, leaving a barren night sky...

** Hint hint to all players.
                              Last edited by Accelerator; 01-23-2021, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X