Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Mnemon ever a signature character?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was Mnemon ever a signature character?

Mnemon has been the signature Earth aspect for the first 2 Editions of this game (I don't know her status in 3rd Ed).

I love the character, but why the heck was she a signature character?

Are signature characters not supposed to be examples for what a Player can make? Proto PC's?

There are extremely few ST'ers who would dare allow their Players that much power & influence out of the gate. You have to spend years, in real life, to approach it, if you are very lucky.

So what is the point of her holding this spot? She is an unattainable goal. Not an example.

Was she originally from some long forgotten test player group with a ST who was exceedingly generous?

All of the Signature Dragonbloods in Ex1's aspect books were mid to high essence characters. (Ex1 did not do just 1 signature circle.) They were not "out of the gate" starter characters.

This may be due different play styles expected between the Solar and Terrestrial campaigns. The Solar Signature characters were all low essence (where Yurgen Kaneko was presented as an essence 1 Dawn.)

Probably intended for a War for the Throne game, at essence 7, Mnemon certainly held the highest rank, but this was not entirely an outlier.

Aspect Book Air had essence 6 Tepet Arada, Fire gave us essence 5 Cathak Cainan, Water held essence 5 Pheleps Aramida, and Wood had essence 5 Ragara Bhagwei.
    Last edited by Greyman; 01-14-2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

As noted, while the Solar sigs were meant to be more "Examples of starting characters in a Circle", the Dragon-Blooded ones were more particular indivdiuals you might be able to use in your stories as patrons or antagonists. Tepet Arada, Mnemon, Sesus Rafara, Peleps Delad, and Sesus Nezgar were all middle-aged to old Exalts with notable power bases and such. Each of the Aspect Books did include at least one starting character level DB, but these five were nto it.

In 3e, the current set of sigs are a new batch as they have been wtih all Exalts so far. But again, are not new out of the gate characters since a lot of DB stories do kind of span large parts of society and culture that a few decades under a character's belt (in this case they're I think mostly in their 60s abouts) helps to demonstrate in ways Solars normally don't.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

One theory I heard was that the Signature Deebs would be good PCs for a mixed Exalt game.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

You know, I think it might have been because for signature characters there was an interest or priority for making them recurring figures for the chapter fictions, and Mnemon played a particular role in their designs for developing a continuous underlying story of the return of the Scarlet Empress.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            One theory I heard was that the Signature Deebs would be good PCs for a mixed Exalt game.
            I never quite saw that with the five 1e ones. Tepet Arada made a career fighting them, Mnemon wasn't really related to non-DB PCs and was more an elder character, Sesus Rafara was more tied with the Houses so maybe her, Peleps Delad is a biggo antagonist, and Sesus Nezagar is also tied with the Realm.

2e swapped Rafara and Nezagar for Cynis Denovah Avaku and Tepet Ejava respectively. I think for two reasons. One: I think since theyw ere more "Featured in fiction" before then rather than being the kind of broad "generic DB Sigs" like they had for each splat, they got moved to that. I also think for some reason someone thought 4/5 sigs using daiklaves of some variety and 4/5 of them being in various colored articulated jade plate was a good way to showcase the splat (such vareity in aestheitc, wow). But Ejava and Avaku did have the more "Could be made into Solar allies" to their stories than other previous sigs. And in Mnemon and Ejava's case in 2e, theyw ere really the only two Throne contenders taken seriously by the writing, so they got focused on there too for those I think.

I think the 3e ones are more again, an actual showcase of DBs, including some of the long life Brotherhood themes and ties ot their societies themes going on. I think it generally positions Mnemon and the Roseblack as actually useful-for-games characters anyhow with how they have been used.

And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Arada is disillusioned after being actively betrayed by the Realm.

Mnemon is explicitly working with a cabal of Deathknights (1e).

Nezagar is out to do whatever is best for the Realm no matter how unconventional it may be.

Delad is an IMMACULATE MASTAH who might reasonably be seen as a combat threat (but not really).

Agree on the 3E sigs.

Comment

That doesn’t sound like why, not when their signature character status fails against the Celestial Exalted.

Comment

Mnemon is explicitly working with a cabal of Deathknights (1e).
                  I don't think a pragmatic (and seemingly distant) alliance makes the idea of the high Essence head of a Great House an intuitive fit for a mixed circle.

The others... might have backgrounds that would accommodate it, but I don't think they're oriented towards it. It would be something to say "signatures included details that would not be incompatible with Solars", which would be some way from them being written for the purpose of that mixture (which again doesn't seem to fit Mnemon).

Unless I misread your description of the theory and you actually meant a person's analysis of them?

I wonder if part of the intent with Dragon Blooded signatures was that since the Dynasty is a more diverse group with varying power than the Solars that a cross section of multiple perspectives and levels of status was seen as a better way of showcasing them.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    I wonder if part of the intent with Dragon Blooded signatures was that since the Dynasty is a more diverse group with varying power than the Solars that a cross section of multiple perspectives and levels of status was seen as a better way of showcasing them.
                    That's always been my assumption. With one or maybe two exceptions, Solars are all very young, having only been Exalted for 20 years or less. Meanwhile with the Dragon Blooded you have some that are younger than Solars and some that are centuries old. The Aspect Books and Signature characters were designed to give a broad example of the different types of Dragon Blooded one was likely to encounter.

Though I suppose a counter-argument to that is that I don't believe any of the 1st edition Sidereal or Lunar signature characters were ancient elders (in the way that Mnemon, a Dragon Blooded signature character was), even though Sidereal and Lunar society has a similar breakdown of young Exalted to elder Exalted. Though I imagine if we had ever gotten Caste books for Sidereal and Lunars some of the characters chosen would have been elder Exalted.

Comment

(The 3e Dragon-Blooded signature characters were designed with the goal of being an effective Wyld Hunt to sic on Solar PCs, in addition to being a potential model for a circle of player characters and a showcase of the variety of DB life experiences.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                        (The 3e Dragon-Blooded signature characters were designed with the goal of being an effective Wyld Hunt to sic on Solar PCs, in addition to being a potential model for a circle of player characters and a showcase of the variety of DB life experiences.)
                        For the latter goal, brilliant success. There's a real breadth of interesting characters there.

For the former goal... I think you low balled that one.
                        Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-16-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                          Mnemon has been the signature Earth aspect for the first 2 Editions of this game (I don't know her status in 3rd Ed).

I love the character, but why the heck was she a signature character?

Are signature characters not supposed to be examples for what a Player can make? Proto PC's?
                          They are more like a representation of what the specific exalt splat is. For Solars, that would be new characters, because that's what all Solars are - even those that appeared before breaking of Jade Prison have only maybe a few years' age advantage over all others. For other exalt types however the representative characters are more varied. So, Mnemon, Sesus Nagezzer or Tepet Arada are no more (or less) an example of what Dragonblooded players can become than Leviathan, Ma-Ha-Suchi or Raksi are for Lunar players, and Chejop Kejak is for Sidereals.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                            I'd like to take this opportunity to say I really like the 3e DB (and Lunar) sigs.

--

Others have nailed it above already in that there is probably a distinction between signature characters and sample starting characters – but the two categories aren't mutually exclusive. Solars tend to fulfil both criteria because they majority have only just returned, with the other splats there's a need/more scope to show off a splat's hierarchy, culture, idiosyncrasies etc.

That said, I'd like as many sample starter characters as I can get as they're (a) cool, (b) great inspiration and (c) useful for purposes of establishing a baseline for players at the start of a game. DBs have never been that well served for actual sample starter characters in any of the previous editions I don't think...
                            Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 01-19-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X