Starmetal quantities from gods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starmetal quantities from gods?

Did any of the editions ever explain the amount of Starmetal you could get out of a god relative to Essence score of the deity?

The closest you will get is an Abyssal Craft Charm from Second Edition, I believe.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
    Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
    Masters of the Industrial Elements
    Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
    ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
      Did any of the editions ever explain the amount of Starmetal you could get out of a god relative to Essence score of the deity
      Not explicitly, no, and moreover, you don’t get starmetal from killing gods in 3E.

He/him

Comment

I mean you maybe could but it would involve shoving them in a big artifact essence evaporator or some shit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Not explicitly, no, and moreover, you don’t get starmetal from killing gods in 3E.
          That’s good. I never liked that rule. Sort of gross the idea of killing gods to extract stuff out of their bodies.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Plus it was kinda dumb cos 2e also said you could turn ambrosia dedicated to an incarna into their metal, so there was a way easier source of it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              Plus it was kinda dumb cos 2e also said you could turn ambrosia dedicated to an incarna into their metal, so there was a way easier source of it anyway.
              Well, that might assume that the Maidens necessarily reap large amounts of ambrosia and that they're willing to share it anyway.

At least, the former of those might have been an assumption for the freelancer who wrote it. Glories of the Most High gave each of the Incarnae Cult N/A sure, but I don't think they had that reference from Compass: Yu-Shan in mind when it did.

Although honestly, I'd expect Nephilpal would have placed a higher priority on how he wished the Incarnae and their perception in Creation to be depicted than he was concerned with the implications it had on the logistics of magical materials. I couldn't say off-hand where he'd stand on the subject, but that's not an ambiguity to the intention of the people who wrote about soulforging gods into starmetal (both for how that impacts the available quantities and relationships with the gods).

In any case, I don't believe that any source ever dealt with soulforged starmetal in terms of masses, and inclined more to describing the amount reaped from any given god as sufficient to make an Artifact with a level equal to their Essence.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Then what is the point?

Comment

Then what is the point?
                  I think it's kinda nice to not view the setting's gods as an easy source of artifact materials?

He/him

Comment

I think it's kinda nice to not view the setting's gods as an easy source of artifact materials?
                    I see it more as a bonus. Some games have the opponents either guarding or carrying treasure, or equipment, on their person, but gods potentially ARE treasure in Exalted.

Comment

3E has gone back to the 1E "Starmetal is literally stars falling out of the firmament" if memory serves. Which to me definitely helps establish how rare it's supposed to be. Got two options, wait for a star to fall, or clime the sky to forcibly take one.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

Then what is the point?
                        This question makes no sense.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Then what is the point?
                          Starmetal is the ambient magical energy of Creation, released by gods great and small, that gathers in the heavens, taking on the qualities of Fate, then falling to earth as meteoric iron.

It holds influence over gods and is distilled divine power associated with "destiny, luck, time, knowledge, foresight, mysteries, esoteric forces, and empheral things". It can even channel the powers of the constellations and astrological Houses (Journeys, Serenity, Battles, Secrets, or Endings).

It is the magical material most closely related to the Sidereal Exalted. A mystic, light-weight steel which is impossibly hard and strong.

This almost indestructible material is used sparingly in artifact design, but such is its potency that only a little is required to create truely astoning miracles - like the Staff Gnomen which stops time and grants its bearer the Peaches of Immortality.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I see it more as a bonus. Some games have the opponents either guarding or carrying treasure, or equipment, on their person, but gods potentially ARE treasure in Exalted.
                            You can harvest gods for exotic materials if you want. That's a thing.

Making a sword out of the rib of a volcano god is more interesting than just processing him into starmetal anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                              You can harvest gods for exotic materials if you want. That's a thing.

Making a sword out of the rib of a volcano god is more interesting than just processing him into starmetal anyway.
                              Do both - de-bone first, the mine for starmetal. I think of it like first taking out the good bits, then smelting the rest and refining it into starmetal. (sure, it'll piss off all kinds of spirit courts, but hey..)

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Working...
                              X