What breaks if I try to speed up combat like this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What breaks if I try to speed up combat like this

What breaks if (in order to speed up combat)

If for every -10 iniative an character has they get -1 defense and

for every +10 iniative a character has they get +1 success to withering rolls and +1 dice to desisive rolls (and other attribute+ability) which counts as stunt dice?

Well... it'd make it harder to recover from Crash, and there might be weird stacking, especially if you're playing with Awareness invested (or worse, Stealth invested) Solars.

I'm not sure it will speed up combat overly much.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Maxing out join-battle will be an even higher priority than it already is. and rolling a lot of join battle and killing people round 1 will be a better tactic (and it's already pretty solid), so Stealth//Larceny solars will be completely ridiculous.

Comment

Okay that makes sense. It shift the focus to not combat abilities and "being prepared". Not sure if I am fine with that, but nice to know these things ahead of time.

Comment

I don't think anything of this nature (penalty at low ini, bonus at high) is going to really speed up combat. You might shave a round or so off a fight, but you could do the same thing by just switching to narrative mode when the fight is clearly won. 3e combat slows down partially because there are a lot of rolls, and largely because everyone has a lot of abilities to plug in to each of their rolls:
          • Person A swings and activates attack Charms and Person B activates defense Charms. Both have to calculate their final result.
          • A hits and activates damage Charms, B activates soak Charms, and someone has to count up die bonuses from threshold successes and penalties from soak
          • Person B rolls damage, and potentially activates more Charms relating to post-soak damage.
          I've tinkered with mechanical changes to reduce the back-and-forth, and that's helped a bit, but probably the biggest contributor to slowdown is "wait, let me check how this one Charm works." My group recently switched to a closed-book-during-sessions model, and our last two fights have been way faster and more exciting than before.
          Last edited by Grod_the_giant; 01-24-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

It will only increase the discrepancies that allow for wide initiative gaps in the first place. That guy that would normally hit 30 will now hit 50 and the same goes for the negatives.
            It might speed up, I suppose, but I don't feel this would make the game play feel better.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
              It might speed up, I suppose, but I don't feel this would make the game play feel better.
              Seconding this.

The only times I've really felt the combat system itself grind is when initiative crash ceases to be a state a character can realistically escape from in one action despite being far from dead (due to still doing reasonably well for applicable defences and health levels) leading to multiple rounds of thrashing until they die or their initiative resets and they're allowed to meaningfully participate again.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                The only times I've really felt the combat system itself grind is when initiative crash ceases to be a state a character can realistically escape from in one action despite being far from dead (due to still doing reasonably well for applicable defences and health levels) leading to multiple rounds of thrashing until they die or their initiative resets and they're allowed to meaningfully participate again.
                And to this event in particular, I feel, the usual solution that works well is simply declaring the character is out of the fight - he will be treated as trivial and be cut down with withering attacks unless some dramatic reversal changes everything.

That's one advantage npcs offer to the ST.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

Working...
                X