Look out for traps!! Looking for stuff on traps both cannon and fanmade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look out for traps!! Looking for stuff on traps both cannon and fanmade

So 2nd Ed had a system of traps in scroll of kings. Is there something like that in 3rd Ed?

Would traps fall under larceny or survival for the purpose of Solar Charms? (I lean towards Survival) or may there be a crunch difference between making traps and hiding them (so trapmaking is craft)?

I never did try the 2nd Ed trap system. Can it be recommend?

A cannon is about what I’d expect as a trap meant for the Exalted.

Anyway you’re a bit out of luck, this here is literally everything about traps in 3e:

Originally posted by EX3
    Traps work the same way as environmental hazards, save that characters are allowed a (Perception + Awareness) roll to spot them before setting them off, and they usually take effect instantly, with no ongoing interval.

Comment

Yearh but I was thinking of making it a part of the combat system or like a poison maybe. Well at least it is simple and streamlined.

Comment

Traps were one of my favorite things to throw at my players as a storyteller. I blame watching adventure movies and playing a lot of Tomb Raider games really for a lot of my custom traps. I'd imagine that traps probably act like decisive damage in many cases...where you really will want to have enough hardness to survive them. Though might depend on the trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix108 View Post
          Traps were one of my favorite things to throw at my players as a storyteller. I blame watching adventure movies and playing a lot of Tomb Raider games really for a lot of my custom traps. I'd imagine that traps probably act like decisive damage in many cases...where you really will want to have enough hardness to survive them. Though might depend on the trap.
          yearh traps are cool. Also a proven tool the ST (and DM's) arsenal.

As a ST I really like non-lethal traps like catapulting your players away from eachother ahead of combat. Or a harmless bear trap in the middle of dangerous, hostile territory or in a chase.

Comment

Adversaries of the Righteous' the Prince Resplendent in the Ruin of Ages has an abyssal charm to reveal that someone had fallen prey to a previously set snare crafted from a corpse.

The trap has a difficulty to defend against, does lethal decisive damage, and requires a test of strength to escape.

It seems fairly standard for a trap - the power of the charm lies in 'you failed to notice' and 'I totally prepared this earlier'.

Comment

Anything involving first age tombs from 2E usually has traps. Rathess in particular, if memory serves. Environmental hazards in Compass: Autochthonia would be handy, too.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

I think about trap-making in terms of both cinema and game mechanics. Anything that a common Charm effect can shut down is something mortal trap makers put together, so supernatural trap makers have to get more creative. Things like the trash compactor from Star Wars, a room that floods with water, swinging blade pendulums, etc.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
                Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                Masters of the Industrial Elements
                Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

"But in Old Realm, Sol Invictus starts with an 'i'!"

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                    Love the reference.

I am currenlty playing a crafter so I have started thinking about what would trap an Exalt whom had some resistance and defenses against the most obvious traps like pits and deadfalls.

These posts makes me think more supernatural. May be fun to try.

Comment

Combine several things, such as a room that starts filling with poisonous gas and dart traps that fire darts at anyone trying to pick the locks.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
                      Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                      Masters of the Industrial Elements
                      Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                      ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                        You know, I wonder if them applying that logic means it even makes sense for a modern letter "j" distinguishable from "i" to even be there in the first place.

To the best of my understanding, it might be a period where the letters are still interchangeable rather than "j" still being a slightly modified "i" placed at the end of certain words, but that just raises the question of why it would not also have been valid for the beginning sound of Jehovah. Why even have it there in the first place?* "J" as wholly distinct letter doesn't take place into a few centuries after the First Crusade.

This is just making me think of some ancient Sidereal who thought it was really clever to make a puzzle solution seem to be a test of knowledge or piety, but was actually being a prick to anybody making a minor error based on some far future evolution in the alphabet foreseen with Loom magic.

(I have very strict standards of linguistic historical accuracy for a movie featuring a knight preserved for centuries by a holy drinking cup and then speaking comprehensible English)

* I mean, unless the 13th century had some kinds of Ecclesiastical Latin purists who insisted on words being spelt only with the original letter forms, not holding with these new-fangled modifications. Makes me imagine the builder of the trap being an original language snob, including "j" there solely to get one over on the vulgar types to accept the development of an interchangable letter.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

For traps, one of my favorite things to throw at my players is a sort of dungeon crawl in the form of a half-ruined manse that contains a training facility for solars... the idea being that they had to somehow pass all the trials on the level had dug into, before the elevator will open and carry them to the next level, and so on.

Depending on how much I wnated to throw at them I could easily adjust the number of levels and whatnot, and adjust what kind of look there'd be at the end. The lore for it would be that it was owned by a solar who always wanted his future incarnations to be 'good enough' to earn the regalia of their past incarnations.

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                            I mean, unless the 13th century had some kinds of Ecclesiastical Latin purists who insisted on words being spelt only with the original letter forms, not holding with these new-fangled modifications. Makes me imagine the builder of the trap being an original language snob, including "j" there solely to get one over on the vulgar types to accept the development of an interchangable letter.
                            I have never considered any other possibility than this.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Tombs guarded by the dread Figurative Gatekeepers.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X