Look out for traps!! Looking for stuff on traps both cannon and fanmade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Tombs guarded by the dread Figurative Gatekeepers.

Well played.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I made a bit about traps in my manse homebrew. I was going to make a thing about traps including charms for each exalt on traps... but I got tired up. The blurb I wrote in manses was the rules I were going to use for them though.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
        I made a bit about traps in my manse homebrew. I was going to make a thing about traps including charms for each exalt on traps... but I got tired up. The blurb I wrote in manses was the rules I were going to use for them though.
        Will check that out

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
          Great material. I am defntely stealing from this and thank you for a set of manse rules also. really like the magical traps, especially the wall between gaps in a maze.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
            Great material. I am defntely stealing from this and thank you for a set of manse rules also. really like the magical traps, especially the wall between gaps in a maze.
            Happy to be of service.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
            Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
              So 2nd Ed had a system of traps in scroll of kings. Is there something like that in 3rd Ed?

Would traps fall under larceny or survival for the purpose of Solar Charms? (I lean towards Survival) or may there be a crunch difference between making traps and hiding them (so trapmaking is craft)?

I never did try the 2nd Ed trap system. Can it be recommend?
              There's definitely a difference between making, avoiding, noticing and disarming traps. And since each trap is different, all of this would be highly trap-specific.

Craft is definitely a good ability for trap creation, but i would not put any actual trap-creating charms there. Survival is probably more suited to trap detection and avoidance, but typical hunter traps might go there as well. Larceny also seems reasonable for at least some types of traps, although probably of a different type than survival ones. Anything more complex should probably not be charm-based though.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Comment

I made some attempts at porting over the 2nd scroll of kings traps. Thank you to Sandact6 for inspiration. Traps of exalted 3e

Traps work like environmental hazards which can normally be avoided using Perception+Awareness. Feel free to use Detection rules below. Also the construction for crafters or survival based trappers.
                Construction: What abilities are needed to construct the trap.
                Detection: A difficulty on how hard it is to detect the trap, usually done with Perception+Awareness roll. Surprise Anticipation Method also detects traps. Artifact traps get +2 to Detection difficulty. In combat this is an opposed roll between the trapper and the possible victim. The trapper may have rolled ahead of time.
                While traps outside combat works as above, they can also be used as weapon in combat. Look below for rules on this.
                Trapper: The trap must have a designer which may be granted in initiative (not all traps grant initiative), even though more the one person made and/or hid the trap.
                Attack: The dicepool or sometimes difficulty with which the target is “struck” with trap. The dicepool is uniform like a QC’s. Note that some traps my not be parried, pnly dogded. Artifact traps increase this dicepool but +1.
                Effect and/or Damage: What happens the trap springs and the damage which the trap inflict or what other effect might apply to the victim. The damage number may vary greatly, even between traps of the same design. Artifact traps increase their damage with +3.
                Traps you step

Pit traps may be disguised so to that they cover themselves after triggering.

PIT TRAP
                Probably the oldest kind of trap. It is a big hole often covered with branches and leaves.
                Detection: 2
                Attack: 6 (against 0 defense if the trap is undetected, -2 defense to target if she is aware of traps in the area)
                Effect: Fall damage. How much damage this trap does depends upon the depth of the hole.
                Construction: Survival 1 (Max is short range band fall), hours or Craft (“Relevant”) like Craft (Earthworks). Digging a short-range fall for a human is a basic project. Medium range is a major project. Long range is a superior project and Extreme range is a legendary project.
                This trap could be further improved by staking to bottom or having a lit which recovers the trap. Stakes on the bottom, lava or acid bath should be treated as an environmental hazard.

STAKE TRAP
                Also usually camoflaged by branches or other natural features.
                Detection: 3
                Attack: 5
                Damage: 10, Tags: Piercing, Crippling
                Construction: Survival 2, 20 minutes or Craft (“Relevant”) like Craft (Carpentry)
                A foot or so deep hole with stakes at the bottom. These may be poisoned for further effects. Or smeared in filth for infecting with diseases.
                Last edited by light-hero; 02-05-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X