Recoving things lost to the Wyld

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoving things lost to the Wyld

Just had an idea, and wondering if it's setting-beaking or just bad. See, I was thinking how many things have been lost to the Wyld, especially during the Contagion Invasion. I thought what if such things could be recovered. Now, this should not be something for lower level characters, but I did think it should be possible. So, what I'm thinking is: stuff of Creation that has been lost and disolved into the Wyld can be recovered. But, only by some epic quest or very high Essence charms or sorceries. Lunars maybe can use high Essence charm to travel the Wyld to seek out what they want to recover (see, it has to be a specific thing they're searching for).Or, the Solars maybe could develop a charm from the WST tree that could call back or summon something from the Wyld.

I can't elaborate further yet, this is a brainstorm idea while I'm about 3 Rum&Cokes into my night. But how bad is it so far?

Personally, I wouldn't allow a straight-up recovery of territory, people, etc. lost to the Wyld. I think it goes against the general "consequences stay happened" principle of Exalted. If the Exalted or other powers in the setting can't bring a single soul back to life after they've been killed, they certainly shouldn't be able to do it on a mass scale.

That said, there are probably ways to fake this, effectively. For instance, I'd allow a sorcerous working of some level (probably Solar 2 or 3) to scan the past in sufficient detail that a Solar with Wyld-Shaping Technique could then use that information to essentially recreate a chunk of land, with the inhabitants of it. They wouldn't be the same people, in the sense that there wouldn't be continuity of existence there. But you could do it with sufficiently good reproduction that the inhabitants thought they were the destroyed people.

Of course, there'd be complications and consequences, because there always are. Fate and destiny might get weird around some of them, for example, as the processes of Creation tried to handle these new individuals popping up who have all the identifying stuff of people they long ago wrote off as dead. And if any of the destroyed people's souls survived, and hadn't reincarnated, they might go "hey, that's the body I'm assigned to! Better pop back in there!", and get into fights with the Wyld-Shaping Technique-created souls.

Sounds like an interesting thing to use as the centerpiece of a campaign, if you ask me.

Interested in chatting with other Exalted fans online? Join us on the Exalted Discord server!

Comment

so if I wanted to recover SOULS but not the persons attached to them what would that entail?

I Will bring the Dragon Kings and other dead races back and You WILL NOT stop me!
      Last edited by vampire hunter D; 01-31-2021, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I’d also say it depends on what you define as “Lost to the Wyld.” Were the objects or people or lands stolen by Raksha, stuffed in a big sack, and carried away? Depending on how long it’s been, it could well be recoverable. Were they eroded over time by the tides of chaos, until the things they are no longer resemble the things they were? That’s gonna take some more serious effort. Were they literally dissolved in the rush of unreality as the Crusade hit? I’d suggest at that point that it could only be remade, not “recovered.”

He/him

Comment

Hey, back ater some thought...I do agree, whatever form this takes...it should be a massive gitchy fuck-job to the Loom....and so there will be consequences...and Sidereal protocols in place to stop the ambitious from doing this in the first place.

Comment

IMO the only things that have survived more or less unscathed in the wyld are things in or around manses that managed to stay operational, due to having wyld-stabilizing features in their construction, leaving behind small islands of stability

My players are currently wracking their minds of how to recover one such manse, which they found in the Deep Wyld, because they need to dismantle it and get the parts to creation for something more useful - problem is... they're afraid that dismantling the manse will mean that the parts themselves will start to boil away into wyld energy, because Deep Wyld (and they're not entirely wrong)

as for recovering lands or people lost in the wyld during the great contagion or the balloran crusade? I would seek out the courts of the fair folk, find out who took what lands, and perhaps try to draw the memories of the places out of them?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

damn.

I try

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                Just had an idea, and wondering if it's setting-beaking or just bad. See, I was thinking how many things have been lost to the Wyld, especially during the Contagion Invasion. I thought what if such things could be recovered. Now, this should not be something for lower level characters, but I did think it should be possible. So, what I'm thinking is: stuff of Creation that has been lost and disolved into the Wyld can be recovered. But, only by some epic quest or very high Essence charms or sorceries. Lunars maybe can use high Essence charm to travel the Wyld to seek out what they want to recover (see, it has to be a specific thing they're searching for).Or, the Solars maybe could develop a charm from the WST tree that could call back or summon something from the Wyld.

I can't elaborate further yet, this is a brainstorm idea while I'm about 3 Rum&Cokes into my night. But how bad is it so far?
                I like it.

The Wyld is "wibbly-wobbly, time-y-why-me" enough to make recovering things lost to the Wyld distinct from conventional time travel and ressurection. Like how 2E allowed time travel within Malfeas.

I could see passing through a series of trials to make an Unshaped reguritate that which it swallowed. Which might not return things in precisely the same condition as they were lost. Or, worse, perhaps it does return them in exactly the same condition as when they were lost.

Or an epic quest to chart the form of the roiling madness of the Wyld, and in so charting the Wyld is given form... perhaps a form that would be familiar to those who knew the old shape of Creation.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Reminds of reading about Caerjon. A twin or clone Creation which has made by a Primodial they different want to play with his brothers and sisters.

The world ended by being burned but UCS whom set the world eternally aflame, since it was lost to the wyld. Stuff like a think could be interesting for high Exalts to find in the Wyld. But finding random low dot artifacts I would be against. The wyld is not a mere slotmachine.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                    so if I wanted to recover SOULS but not the persons attached to them what would that entail?

I Will bring the Dragon Kings and other dead races back and You WILL NOT stop me!
                    If I recall wasnt the big trick with dragon kings getting them to live long enough to start regaining past life awareness and doing their enlightenment thing?

Comment

*raises hand*

Here's the question. When you say 'can be recovered' what do you mean? Lore charms, Investigation charms, excellencies and the like mean that you can take entire scraps of information from rumours and recreate entire cultures from it. You can use sorcery to look into the past. If you recreate the lands to be entirely, perfectly the same from before, such that if a Lunar were to walk back into his old homeland and he would struggle to see the difference... is it 'recovered'? If you were to recreate a human being so utterly that only high powered celestial charms can figure out that he's not the same person as the one who died, did you 'resurrect' him?

Comment

How could you ever verify that the thing you're pulling out of the Wyld is really the thing that was lost to it, and not just a new thing born of the creative power of the Wyld and your expectations or preconceptions based on researching what was lost?

(Also, is there a practical difference, given lack of certainty?)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                          Both have potential for awesome horror stories where you question the nature of reality, but only one of those options has the treasure you recovered mutating into a freakish extra-dimensional haunt as you obess over whether it is really "real".

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                            How could you ever verify that the thing you're pulling out of the Wyld is really the thing that was lost to it, and not just a new thing born of the creative power of the Wyld and your expectations or preconceptions based on researching what was lost?

EDIT: Ninja'd

---

Very much this.

But then isn't this the starting point of a lot of good stories? Sure, you've miraculously retrieved your loved ones from the Wyld, but don't they seem OFF to you some how...?

And why are all your fellow villagers now disappearing...?
                            Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 02-01-2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moss Reynholm View Post

EDIT: Ninja'd

Very much this.

But then isn't this the starting point of a lot of good stories? Sure, you've miraculously retrieved your loved ones from the Wyld, but don't they seem OFF to you some how...?

And why are all your fellow villagers now disappearing...?
                              Bonus points if you pull a Transcendence and they are really your loved ones, just kinda traumatised, and have nothing to do with the missing villagers. But you only find out when it's too late.

Comment

Working...
                              X