Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmare Mask of Winters (High end Ex3 antagonist)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandact6
    started a topic Nightmare Mask of Winters (High end Ex3 antagonist)

Nightmare Mask of Winters (High end Ex3 antagonist)

This is a little something I statted up for my modern game a while back. It's intended to be an end-game boss with apocalyptic levels of power both personally and narratively. It is essentially a Deathlord that is being possessed by a fully aware Neverborn.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...6EFWHv7M/edit#

Remember kids: Always be sure your players can handle such things before throwing such things at them. If they're below Essence 5, then they're probably not ready.

• Sandact6
    replied
    Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
    Ah. So do they get those powers as well? I thought it'd be more like an overwriting of capabilities into an engine of the neverborn.
    They get the powers of the default Mask of Winters. Model V (The class of Warstriders that Viator and Mask of Winters are) are full NPC's of sorts. You can't use your own charms with them, mainly for balance reasons.

Also if you got the control Mask back, then you'd be controlling the normal Mask of Winters warstrider, as the Nightmare version is jacked up due to the Neverborn plot magic. Mask of Winters is similar to the Nightmare version, but tuned down slightly (an example is Icicle Graveyard not having an autocast capability. Sadly I don't have that version anymore).

Leave a comment:

• Epimetheus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

They can effectively control and see out of the Mask of Winters. Mask of Winters is just a very smart AI, but it's still dumb. It blindly follows anyone who has the mask and had no sense of self.
    Ah. So do they get those powers as well? I thought it'd be more like an overwriting of capabilities into an engine of the neverborn.

Leave a comment:

• Sandact6
    replied
    So what happens if a normal ghost or person puts the mask on? Is it basically like geist 2e where they just become the being?
    They can effectively control and see out of the Mask of Winters. Mask of Winters is just a very smart AI, but it's still dumb. It blindly follows anyone who has the mask and had no sense of self.

Leave a comment:

• Epimetheus
    replied
    So what happens if a normal ghost or person puts the mask on? Is it basically like geist 2e where they just become the being?

Leave a comment:

• Sandact6
    replied

Gate of the labyrinth seems odd because you'd think the never born would find it preferable that he not be trapped there for eternity if he's strapped, instead of creation where can wreck the most havok.
    Metaphysics talk incoming.

As soon as Hiver gave the control mask to the Neverborn, the Neverborn tried to bring itself into Creation, also because the gate was made as part of the device Hiver made. The Neverborn could only control Nightmare Mask of Winters so long as the gate was open. Before that gate was only one way (Hiver drilling down into the Neverborn, then attempting to forcefully use it's power) but the moment he gave Neverborn the mask then the Neverborn gained access to Nightmare Mask of Winters and Behemoth (Which was a giant mecha war platform).

It wasn't by choice the portal was made. Rather it had to be made in order for there to be a connection at all. There could've been a way to use sorcery to cut the signal between the two and make Nightmare Mask of Winters into normal Mask of Winters, but the PC's really didn't have the luxury of that amount of time.

Also, rather than legendary size it'd probably just all it legendary aura. Just to emphasis that he's still kind of human size but just radiates so much power but that's just me.
    That's fair. Honestly I considered it's size to be more around three meters, give or take a little extra.

I understand the purposes of we have such sights to show you but shouldn't it have some kind of effect high integrity magical beings can defend against? As written the only way to avoid the effect is to be stripped of willpower as written.
    The effect only procs if you have the ability to see spirits. If you don't want to see spirits then don't turn it on. At most this ability can probably give a buff to some ghosts and apply a -2 penalty to defense via one charm which can be negated by other charms. I also tried not to make it a total bust, as you get a bonus if you bite the bullet and blow some WP.

If you're forced to contest with it, then I'd allow charms such as Spirit-Maintaining Maneuver to apply in this case.

If you do make other Deathlords do you intend to give them all ice themed powers?
    No. I had strong ice themed powers as Mask of Winters (Warstrider version) had strong ice type powers. Nightmare Mask of Winters just overcharged them to hell and back. The First and Forsaken Lion* was also making a similarly powerful Artifact N/A warstrider, but the players blew up the construction facility then pinned the blame on one of the Mask of Winter's agents to get FaFL to agree to fight Hiver.

* The modern game I was running, Deathlord was a title given to very powerful rulers of the Underworld. Typically these are Essence 5 Abyssals, but some very powerful ghosts can also qualify. For example in my game, FaFL was a Dusk caste Deathlord, while Dowager was a scientist that one of the players flirted with.

Leave a comment:

• Epimetheus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
    This is a little something I statted up for my modern game a while back. It's intended to be an end-game boss with apocalyptic levels of power both personally and narratively. It is essentially a Deathlord that is being possessed by a fully aware Neverborn.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...6EFWHv7M/edit#

Remember kids: Always be sure your players can handle such things before throwing such things at them. If they're below Essence 5, then they're probably not ready.
    I like it but I do have some questions.

Gate of the labyrinth seems odd because you'd think the never born would find it preferable that he not be trapped there for eternity if he's strapped, instead of creation where can wreck the most havok.

Also, rather than legendary size it'd probably just all it legendary aura. Just to emphasis that he's still kind of human size but just radiates so much power but that's just me.

I understand the purposes of we have such sights to show you but shouldn't it have some kind of effect high integrity magical beings can defend against? As written the only way to avoid the effect is to be stripped of willpower as written.

If you do make other Deathlords do you intend to give them all ice themed powers?

Leave a comment:

• Sandact6
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    What’s “+5s?” Also I didn’t see Resolve or Guile anywhere.
    +5 successes. It has a excellency for 2m per successes. I went ahead and added that.

Resolve is 5, Guile is 4 (Though you'd really want to ask yourself if you want to try that)
    Last edited by Sandact6; 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    What’s “+5s?” Also I didn’t see Resolve or Guile anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Maseiken
    replied
    I love whenever I see an ability that facilitates an entire plot all by itself. I like the fluff with the way the Labyrinth is characterized here, extremely suggestive of a grim fate for a character without enforcing it.

Then after that trying to get that character back from beyond would be a full plot worthy of endgame solars itself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X