Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on the third party stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on the third party stuff?

The Storypath nexus up for sale on DTRPG? I know there's one about Giain Terrestrials, and one about infernal alchemical, but what else have people seen. What is to buy and what is to avoid. Note, I'm not that concerned with art-- art is expensive and a lot of these are labors of love, so it's unfair to hold them to high standards for that.

I'm just posting to bring one of the 4 versions of this topic out of oblivion.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

In the nicest possible way:

I love when folks create stuff for Exalted.

But everyone playing Exalted pretty much needs to start from the mainline OPP books. Then you add third party stuff on top.

So whatever the fans make has to be better than what OPP makes to be worthwhile.

And not just better, but so much better that it makes folks want to learn their rules and not the rules of the actual game.

And for Storypath/Storyteller's Vault products, instead of just freely shared homebrew, so, so much better that it justifies giving money for something that hasn't been edited, hasn't had dev input, and probably hasn't been playtested.

There are good 3rd party products, but none of them are that good.

In my opinion.

Other people will have different perceptions of how Exalted should play, and thus different third party products might align more closely with their vision. And if folks want to make recommendations, I'm happy to educate myself.

If you have players and an ST hyped for a product, buy it, play it, and enjoy it! But I can't in good conscience recommend anything third party.
      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-19-2021, 10:29 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

*cough* OP got a little mixed up. Storypath Nexus is for third-party supplements for the Storypath games (Scion, Trinity Continuum, They Came...). Third-party Exalted supplements are on Storytellers Vault, along with the WoD and CoD games.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          In the nicest possible way:

I love when folks create stuff for Exalted.

But everyone playing Exalted pretty much needs to start from the mainline OPP books. Then you add third party stuff on top.

So whatever the fans make has to be better than what OPP makes to be worthwhile.
          I think where the 3rd party stuff shines is exploring the areas to the sides of not on top of the OPP material. Books about areas not very well detailed in the OPP books, a book about beastman tribes, and other things like that.

Comment

Check the signature, I've got a bunch of demons there, and a few MAs.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
            Many Limbed Manual
            Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
            San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
            My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post

I think where the 3rd party stuff shines is exploring the areas to the sides of not on top of the OPP material. Books about areas not very well detailed in the OPP books, a book about beastman tribes, and other things like that.
              In principle, sure, I agree. Especially if it's a Pay What You Want style dealie.

But speaking as an ST, if my choice is spend $35 on your beastfolk supplement, or use the published resources I already own and just use a Cadet House of DBs instead of a beastfolk tribe... those beastfolk ain't seeing play.

Now if my players want a game about beastfolk, and I want a game about beastfolk, and I see a five star beastfolk product on the Vault... then sure, I might buy it specifically for that game. But I'm not going to buy it just to have it. And I'm not going to recommend it unless someone specifically wants to use homebrew beastfolk instead of canon material for their game. Or unless it's so much better than the OPP books that I think people should be using it just in general.

Did you have any resources you wanted to recommend to OP? (I don't want to derail the topic too much.)

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I've written quite a bit of my own stuff in the signature.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
                Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Homebrew is usually a tough sell. Without it being official it can be hard to get everyone on board with it, and ex3 in particular is hard to balance for. Like I once talked to a guy that didn’t understand why an Essence 1 evocation of “reroll (Awareness) failed dice on a join battle roll for 1m” was too powerful. Plus there’s just a lot of conflicting ideas about what Exalted should be like, and I don’t want to grab something that’s making assumptions wildly different from what I expect or are massively incongruous with the rest of the material. I think I did buy a first circle demon once who was somewhere between a bloodape and Octavian in strength, which just made it way way stronger than any other demon out there.

I have major problems with the antagonists in Ex3, well actually with chargen but I’m not going into that, but at least they’re pretty consistent with one another.

I make a lot of stuff but I just post it for free for that reason.

Comment

The thing is no one knows how to balance Ex3 exactly. Anyone who says otherwise is lying (Yes, even the developers we currently have). This has literally been the case throughout not just Exalted's history, but pretty much anything White Wolf (including the properties OPP purchased).

This is not me shitting on people, but expecting a platonic deal of balance for such games is a fools errand. This isn't DnD 4e where it's "Use these values when PC's are X leveled for the best balanced experience, give or take a bit of leeway." The best thing we have now is a scale that goes between "Busted as shit" to "Worthless" that we try fit in between. Really the only clear winners in this are the people who have fun using such things without it being at the expense of others.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I have major problems with the antagonists in Ex3, well actually with chargen but I’m not going into that, but at least they’re pretty consistent with one another.
                    This isn't the topic for it but I'm curious, can you PM the reason why or make a thread on it?

Comment

All my material is of unbelievably high quality.

This includes:
                      • The Thousand Sanctioned Beasts, a monster manual and bestiary for Exalted players and STs
                      • The Book of Wonders Wanted, a Charm collection
                      • These Pages Are Knives, a series of martial arts

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPGJenna Moran's PatreonRobert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Brittain View Post
                        All my material is of unbelievably high quality.

Arrogance? Or merely truth? I've found Thousand Sanctioned Beasts, at least, rather useful at my table.

I've also drawn from Epee's Book of Laughing Serpents on at least one occasion I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerredai View Post
                          Arrogance? Or merely truth? I've found Thousand Sanctioned Beasts, at least, rather useful at my table.
                          If you want to make any money at all as an artist, even beer money, you've got to be prepared to hustle.

Performing low self-esteem is a terrible habit that many writers unfortunately have and it's awful for driving sales.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPGJenna Moran's PatreonRobert Vance's Patreon

Comment

If I understand the Storyteller's Vault rules correctly, I can't publish Dead But Not Gone on there until official ghost rules come out, but I think it came out well.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
                            Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                            Masters of the Industrial Elements
                            Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                            ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Brittain View Post

Performing low self-esteem is a terrible habit that many writers unfortunately have and it's awful for driving sales.
                              I make zero assumptions about my work. I let people make their own opinions after reading mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X