Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on the third party stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrote a bunch of stuff and share it for free like an idiot.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      In principle, sure, I agree. Especially if it's a Pay What You Want style dealie.

But speaking as an ST, if my choice is spend $35 on your beastfolk supplement, or use the published resources I already own and just use a Cadet House of DBs instead of a beastfolk tribe... those beastfolk ain't seeing play.

Now if my players want a game about beastfolk, and I want a game about beastfolk, and I see a five star beastfolk product on the Vault... then sure, I might buy it specifically for that game. But I'm not going to buy it just to have it. And I'm not going to recommend it unless someone specifically wants to use homebrew beastfolk instead of canon material for their game. Or unless it's so much better than the OPP books that I think people should be using it just in general.

Did you have any resources you wanted to recommend to OP? (I don't want to derail the topic too much.)
      I mean, if someone is selling their beastfolk tribe supplement for $35, the problem there is definitely the pricing. I don't know if there are rules about how you're allowed to price things, but I can't imagine charging more than $15 for that even if it's 500 pages with art.

Practically speaking, the kind of supplement I'd consider "recommendable" outside of bespoke niche stuff is the sort that fills gaps in the game by providing high-value widgets of a type you need a lot of but don't want to make yourself, like themed QCs or artifacts. Those are the kinds of things that are useful to have as a toolbox to save prep time, assuming of course that they're well enough designed that you don't need to mess with them a lot before dropping them in.

I will say that one thing I'm saddened by with 3e is that in the past there were very lively hubs for homebrew and they all kind of got blown up, so it feels nowadays like you have a better chance of getting people to see and use your homebrew if you charge money for it than if you give it away for free, simply because all the places where people give homebrew away for free are ghost towns. That's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Gayo View Post
        I will say that one thing I'm saddened by with 3e is that in the past there were very lively hubs for homebrew and they all kind of got blown up, so it feels nowadays like you have a better chance of getting people to see and use your homebrew if you charge money for it than if you give it away for free, simply because all the places where people give homebrew away for free are ghost towns. That's a shame.
        I say less blown up and more akin to some of the bigger homebrewers being hired on. That and I'll agree with Lioness: A lot of people write their homebrew on Google docs these days rather than showing it on the wiki or the forums. Things we don't have because they were blown up in order to make space for spaceship raids (Literally the second time such a thing happened).

There's also a perception that because you charge for something it's better. This is not only sunk cost, but also that charging for something makes people think effort went into it to make it worth that price. Some cases that's true, but a trip to Amazon may show you how wrong that assumption is.

Personally, I say just because something is free doesn't mean it's shit. I mean I use Bitwarden. Such a thing is entirely free, yet really good as a password manager.

If people want to charge for something, then I'm not against them wanting money for something they worked on. If it's something good and useful I'll buy it. If it's something I could make better myself and for free without much time then I won't touch it. Ignore how much I've wrote, I think the statement still stands true.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
        Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

I say less blown up and more akin to some of the bigger homebrewers being hired on. That and I'll agree with Lioness: A lot of people write their homebrew on Google docs these days rather than showing it on the wiki or the forums. Things we don't have because they were blown up in order to make space for spaceship raids (Literally the second time such a thing happened).

There's also a perception that because you charge for something it's better. This is not only sunk cost, but also that charging for something makes people think effort went into it to make it worth that price. Some cases that's true, but a trip to Amazon may show you how wrong that assumption is.

Personally, I say just because something is free doesn't mean it's shit. I mean I use Bitwarden. Such a thing is entirely free, yet really good as a password manager.

If people want to charge for something, then I'm not against them wanting money for something they worked on. If it's something good and useful I'll buy it. If it's something I could make better myself and for free without much time then I won't touch it. Ignore how much I've wrote, I think the statement still stands true.
          I think the loss of spaces where people actively post and look for homebrew, and where things are organized in a way where doing this was convenient, is really huge -- the old wiki was well-organized and very active. Like, we have a wiki now, but almost nobody who makes homebrew puts it there, because there's an expectation that no one will see it if you do, which in turn makes people less likely to make new stuff; it's sort of a vicious cycle. How much stuff is only findable via some random thread on this forum or the subreddit, right now?

Unfortunately, it's hard to replicate what we had originally -- the original unofficial wiki was successful because it was made when Exalted was the #2 RPG in the industry, and the official replacement had the advantage of being official and emerging at a time when the line had a lot of momentum. It's hard to know how to replicate that nowadays.
          Last edited by Gayo; 03-03-2021, 02:39 AM.

Comment

There's some products I think could benefit from being essentially DLC content.

Basically anything that wants the players to figure out what's going on for themselves has less value if they accidently stumble into it, take for example the Glories write-up of The Unconquered Sun its basically built around the idea that the group interacting him doesn't already know virtues are his weakness but it was put in a pdf with a bunch of Solar charms that were considered essential purchases for their era. This lead to people treating him like a malfunctioning robot from the Star Trek TOS era who can be defeated by getting him to follow one of his directives through to the logical conclusion.

Another example would be the Republic of Chaya, both its original plot hook of "people go crazy this time of year" and Compass East's attempts to expand on why it's like that both benefit from a process of discovery on behalf of the players. It's a pretty standard sci-fi problem of the week but I'm sure if it was repackaged as an adventure module it would have its fans.

A price tag further reduces the risk of someone whose not really interested in running it having a peek ahead of time.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

I very much like the idea of the ST vault with Exalted material. I don't buy much though.

Comment

Working...
              X