Ask a question, get an answer 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by druidragon View Post
    1) When switching between the Persona(s) and the base character, how much do each of them know about the other's time?
    Your persona is not a split personality - it's you, with a different set of Intimacies in focus (and, with the right upgrades, different Abilities and Charms). Your persona will know the same members of the circle that you do, though Intimacies you will have formed to them in one will not carry over into the others. .

Originally posted by druidragon View Post
    The Mote and Willpower cost for Heart-Eclipsing Shroud, does that only apply when actually turning on a created Persona? And then just creating a Persona but not currently using it does not cost...?
    The mote and Willpower cost for Heart-Eclipsing Shroud are paid for when you switch to or from a persona; since a new persona is created when you purchase or repurchase the Charm (which is typically done during downtime), it wouldn't make much sense to charge you motes for it then.

After creating a Persona for the first time, do you have to spend 4 hours each time you enter the existing Persona? Or only the first time?
    Every time.

If it does, does Flashing Ruse Prana only apply to the physical disguise and not the Persona as well?
    Correct, you'd need to pair it with an effect like At Your Service, or some custom Charms or Evocations.

4) Merits: does the Persona have access to the Merits of the base character?
    Yes, because again, the persona is your base character. It might not be seemly to be seen using Merits like Backing (Police) when you're acting like an anti-war protestor, though. .

6) Hundred-Faced Stranger says to "Halve the Solars total XP..." Does that include Solar XP?
    That's how my table's been doing it.

He/him

Comment

• What is the Lunar sobriquet in 3E; similar to how Lawgiver is used for Solars? I know the concept of 'Steward' and Stewardship as a whole has been abandoned if I am not mistaken so that is no longer applicable?

My Map of Third Edition Creation in a First Edition Style (2021 Update!)

My DeviantArt, where I post some Exalted stuffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashi View Post
        What is the Lunar sobriquet in 3E; similar to how Lawgiver is used for Solars? I know the concept of 'Steward' and Stewardship as a whole has been abandoned if I am not mistaken so that is no longer applicable?
        My understanding is that in 3e there's not really a priority or intent to give every Exalt a sobriquet. Lunars simply don't really have one as far as I can tell.

And stuff.
        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

My understanding is that in 3e there's not really a priority or intent to give every Exalt a sobriquet. Lunars simply don't really have one as far as I can tell.

Ah, kay. I was just curious. Thanks, Blaque!

My Map of Third Edition Creation in a First Edition Style (2021 Update!)

My DeviantArt, where I post some Exalted stuffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
            Indeed. The castes each have a list of sobriquets, but the Lunars in general are consistently referred to as "the Lunar" in all the charms and such.

Comment

• Headcanon: First Age Lunars were the Stewards, but that sobriquet was sacrificed in the great working that reshaped the Castes.

Comment

• Originally posted by GhanjRho View Post
                Headcanon: First Age Lunars were the Stewards, but that sobriquet was sacrificed in the great working that reshaped the Castes.
                I like the idea that "Steward" was a term coined by First Age Solars who were trying to subtly emphasize the "fact" that the Lunars worked for them, so modern Lunars who recognize that title do not want to hear it at all.

(Arguably all of the Exalted were "stewards" in that sense, because officially the Creation-Ruling Mandate was supposed to be their license to rule Creation on behalf of the victorious gods. But if I'm still allowed to reference flavor text from DotFA, it seemed like the Solars were extremely fond of "honoring" the Lunars in a way that emphasized Lunars being subservient to them.)

Comment

• So, I've been thinking (again) about how shapeshifting via sorcery would work. (I'm certainly not the first to bring up this topic, but I don't recall any of the discussions getting very far.)

I am assuming the following going into this:
                  - Lunars should be unquestionably the best shapeshifters.
                  - It should still be possible for a sorcerer to turn himself into an animal if he wants to badly enough.
                  - Each animal form should be a separate spell (this alone should do a lot to preserve the Lunar niche).
                  - A Terrestrial spell is fine for turning into a wolf or an eagle or something, but definitely shouldn't be able to turn the user into a creature with Legendary or Miniscule Size. (Tiny Creatures are probably fine? I'm not 100% on this, but not being able to turn into a cat or a smaller bird would feel ridiculous.
                  - I'm not sure if I'm even comfortable with a Celestial spell letting someone turn into a tyrant lizard, although it doesn't feel out of line with the sheer scale of other Celestial spells.

Here's my basic rules outline for a Terrestrial shapeshifting spell. I'm vaguely planning to turn this into a full writeup with a proper Exalted fancy name, but I was hoping to solicit feedback first.
                  - As noted above, each animal requires a separate purchase of the spell.
                  - Only normal animals, no magical creatures, no Legendary or Miniscule Size.
                  - The sorcerer needs some kind of talisman made from one or more examples of the animal he's turning into. Something like a wolfskin cloak or a necklace of shark fangs would be traditional, but other options are possible. The sorcerer has to make the talisman personally, although he doesn't have to have personally hunted or killed the animal(s) he's making it from (the sacred hunt is a Lunar thing); one dot in a vaguely applicable Craft skill is fine (it doesn't have to be great craftsmanship, just serviceable).
                  - Replacing a talisman (should it be destroyed or stolen) doesn't require any special ritual, just make a new one from a new animal of the relevant type (not likely to be a major issue unless the animal is rare or you've traveled far from its native territory).
                  - A stolen talisman does work as an arcane link to the sorcerer who made it, as long as he has actually cast the spell with it at least once.
                  - Should the animal form's dice pool(s) be larger than the sorcerer's own relevant pool, the sorcerer's effective dice-adder cap for this purpose only is limited to (higher of Essence or 3).
                  - Otherwise, the animal form works like that of a Lunar.
                  - The sorcerer can spend XP to learn latent abilities like a Lunar, if he really wants to.

Does this sound reasonable? Should there be another restriction in there somewhere?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                    So, I've been thinking (again) about how shapeshifting via sorcery would work. (I'm certainly not the first to bring up this topic, but I don't recall any of the discussions getting very far.)

I am assuming the following going into this:
                    - Lunars should be unquestionably the best shapeshifters.
                    - It should still be possible for a sorcerer to turn himself into an animal if he wants to badly enough.
                    - Each animal form should be a separate spell (this alone should do a lot to preserve the Lunar niche).
                    - A Terrestrial spell is fine for turning into a wolf or an eagle or something, but definitely shouldn't be able to turn the user into a creature with Legendary or Miniscule Size. (Tiny Creatures are probably fine? I'm not 100% on this, but not being able to turn into a cat or a smaller bird would feel ridiculous.
                    - I'm not sure if I'm even comfortable with a Celestial spell letting someone turn into a tyrant lizard, although it doesn't feel out of line with the sheer scale of other Celestial spells.

Here's my basic rules outline for a Terrestrial shapeshifting spell. I'm vaguely planning to turn this into a full writeup with a proper Exalted fancy name, but I was hoping to solicit feedback first.
                    - As noted above, each animal requires a separate purchase of the spell.
                    - Only normal animals, no magical creatures, no Legendary or Miniscule Size.
                    - The sorcerer needs some kind of talisman made from one or more examples of the animal he's turning into. Something like a wolfskin cloak or a necklace of shark fangs would be traditional, but other options are possible. The sorcerer has to make the talisman personally, although he doesn't have to have personally hunted or killed the animal(s) he's making it from (the sacred hunt is a Lunar thing); one dot in a vaguely applicable Craft skill is fine (it doesn't have to be great craftsmanship, just serviceable).
                    - Replacing a talisman (should it be destroyed or stolen) doesn't require any special ritual, just make a new one from a new animal of the relevant type (not likely to be a major issue unless the animal is rare or you've traveled far from its native territory).
                    - A stolen talisman does work as an arcane link to the sorcerer who made it, as long as he has actually cast the spell with it at least once.
                    - Should the animal form's dice pool(s) be larger than the sorcerer's own relevant pool, the sorcerer's effective dice-adder cap for this purpose only is limited to (higher of Essence or 3).
                    - Otherwise, the animal form works like that of a Lunar.
                    - The sorcerer can spend XP to learn latent abilities like a Lunar, if he really wants to.

Does this sound reasonable? Should there be another restriction in there somewhere?
                    Moonsilver equipment doesn’t work for them in animal form? (Basically any equipment, really)

Soak and damage have some kind of similar cap?

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
                      Moonsilver equipment doesn’t work for them in animal form? (Basically any equipment, really)

Soak and damage have some kind of similar cap?
                      I'm on board with moonsilver not working (it just melds into the sorcerer's body and does nothing until they return to human form, as does any other equipment).

I was wondering for a second why soak and damage needed a cap without Legendary Size critters, and then I remembered the pestletail.

What do you think is a good benchmark for soak and/or damage? Try to write this so the sorcerer doesn't end up with substantially higher soak/damage than they would with a heavy mundane armor or weapon?

I could just limit basic animal-form soak to (Stamina+Essence+3), and basic damage to (Strength+Essence+5)? That might be a little too weak at the low end, though. But maybe it's for the best that few sorcerers would want to use this as a combat spell.

...Or might it be better to put some kind of limitation on Charms that can be used in animal form?

Comment

I was wondering for a second why soak and damage needed a cap without Legendary Size critters, and then I remembered the pestletail.

What do you think is a good benchmark for soak and/or damage? Try to write this so the sorcerer doesn't end up with substantially higher soak/damage than they would with a heavy mundane armor or weapon?

I could just limit basic animal-form soak to (Stamina+Essence+3), and basic damage to (Strength+Essence+5)? That might be a little too weak at the low end, though. But maybe it's for the best that few sorcerers would want to use this as a combat spell.

...Or might it be better to put some kind of limitation on Charms that can be used in animal form?
                        I was thinking of Hippos, myself, but same idea.

Hmm, why not make it Int + Ess + 3 cap for both, so the Sorcery Feels-bad isn't quite as intense? (And at 5 Ess, they finally have as much soak as a hippo?) That way it's kind of equivalent to say, the Burning Name as far as attacks go and is decent-ish for soak.

Are you going to let them cast spells in animal form too, like Lunars can, just curious?

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

I was thinking of Hippos, myself, but same idea.

Hmm, why not make it Int + Ess + 3 cap for both, so the Sorcery Feels-bad isn't quite as intense? (And at 5 Ess, they finally have as much soak as a hippo?) That way it's kind of equivalent to say, the Burning Name as far as attacks go and is decent-ish for soak.

Are you going to let them cast spells in animal form too, like Lunars can, just curious?
                          Haha, wow, I never noticed how strong hippos are before. (Although I should have guessed -- I know they're pretty damned dangerous IRL.)

I'm mildly reluctant to tie the physical limits to the sorcerer's Intelligence, but I guess it's unlikely to break anything badly if dedicated sorcerers can become a decently strong animal. Maybe base the damage cap on (better of Strength and Intelligence), and the soak cap on (better of Stamina and Intelligence)? Or perhaps make one of them Perception instead of Intelligence, I dunno.

I can't think of a good reason to ban them from casting spells in animal form. I mean, you certainly don't need human hands or a human voice to cast spells (unlike D&D), seeing as Lunars can train actual animals to do it. A sorcerer in eagle form slinging spells from above could be impressive against melee-focused enemies, but he could do the same by riding an agata or something.

Oh, I almost forgot: control spell benefits? Could just increase the soak/damage caps, but while nice that sounds a little boring (and only benefits sorcerers who want to turn into powerful combat forms). I was thinking of allowing the sorcerer to take magical abilities, but IIRC even Lunars can't do that so that's a definite no-go. I'm trying to think of an interesting trick for a sorcerer who has "I like to prowl around in wolf form" or whatever as his thing.

Comment

Haha, wow, I never noticed how strong hippos are before. (Although I should have guessed -- I know they're pretty damned dangerous IRL.)

I'm mildly reluctant to tie the physical limits to the sorcerer's Intelligence, but I guess it's unlikely to break anything badly if dedicated sorcerers can become a decently strong animal. Maybe base the damage cap on (better of Strength and Intelligence), and the soak cap on (better of Stamina and Intelligence)? Or perhaps make one of them Perception instead of Intelligence, I dunno.

I can't think of a good reason to ban them from casting spells in animal form. I mean, you certainly don't need human hands or a human voice to cast spells (unlike D&D), seeing as Lunars can train actual animals to do it. A sorcerer in eagle form slinging spells from above could be impressive against melee-focused enemies, but he could do the same by riding an agata or something.

Oh, I almost forgot: control spell benefits? Could just increase the soak/damage caps, but while nice that sounds a little boring (and only benefits sorcerers who want to turn into powerful combat forms). I was thinking of allowing the sorcerer to take magical abilities, but IIRC even Lunars can't do that so that's a definite no-go. I'm trying to think of an interesting trick for a sorcerer who has "I like to prowl around in wolf form" or whatever as his thing.
                            Being able to talk to animals could work. Maybe gaining some wolf-themed mutations?

One option instead of a cap, but which puts a bit more work on players, is to decide on a weapon type for each natural weapon (medium artifact, light mortal, light heavy, etc) and then use the sorcerer's strength for damage

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot: control spell benefits? I was thinking of allowing the sorcerer to take magical abilities, but IIRC even Lunars can't do that so that's a definite no-go.
                              Nah, I think that works. Lunars can also be sorcerers.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• A couple of minor things :

Does anyone have a picture or description of the Scarlet Empire's and Lookshy's flags? I couldn't find anything in the books but maybe from some fiction etc?

Also just want to check before I house-rule it, a standard item in wuxia stories is the storage ring/belt where people can store weapons/clothes/items etc. Does such an item exist in any edition of exalted (I know about the armor/weapon charms but I am talking about general inventory that will not be instantly equipped when called).

Edit:

Purchasing Merits:-

Correct me if I am wrong but if understand purchasing merits with XP correctly

You only have to pay for the dot-ratings that actually DO something.

So for a merit like Demesne which can have a 2 or 4 dots (no 3 dots) then it would go something like this:-

You would have to pay 6 xp for the 2 dots Demesne.

and then

You would have to pay 12 xp for the 4 dots Demesne.

You do not have to pay anything for the third dot as it does not do anything.

Is that correct?
                                Last edited by TryingToBeSlim; 06-27-2021, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X