Ask a question, get an answer 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimborg View Post
    Is there an ETA for when Sidereals are to be released for 3E? My understanding that the production schedule looks something like: Many Faced Strangers (Lunars) => Exigents => Abyssals => Sidereals.
    This is where books are currently:
    • Oultining: Pillars of Creation
    • First Draft: Exalted Essay Collection
    • Redlines: Dragon-Blooded Novella #2
    • Development: Adversaries of the Righteous
    • Post-Approval Development: Exigents: Out of the Ashes, Many-Faced Strangers
    • Editing: Exalted Essence, Crucible of Legends, Across the Eight Directions, Lunar Novella #1
    • In Layout: Hundred Devils Night Parade
    • Proofing: Heirs to the Shogunate
    I would actually expect the books in editting to be finished before either Exigents or MFS, but backers might get a MFS preview at some point. After Heirs, it looks like the next book in queue though is the compiled Hundred Devils Night Parade.

According to a couple places and what's on the docket already, we might get Exigents either as the last OPP Kickstarter this year or one of the first ones next year. Sidereals is also something they watn to aim for next year if possible, but as with all things don't take this as a definitive release date but a hopeful target goal.

The current release order after Exigents is currently last I gather: Sidereals/Getimians, Abyssals/Liminals, Infernals, Alchemicals.
    Last edited by Blaque; 07-08-2021, 05:30 PM.

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Maltry View Post
      Setting question for you all. My read of the current iteration of Exalted has been that Exalts are very difficult to identify when not flaring. Exalt charms that sense magic exclude exalted charms and abilities, Measure the Wind can be negated with a Larceny Excellency or a Lunar's native shapeshifting, and even the physical manifestations of DB's are presented in a way that easily falls inside "normal" for the range of Creation's peoples.

However, Essence seems to have a very different implication. Manifesting caste marks and anima levels with any essence use at all, and a (fairly readily accessible) universal charm that explicitly adds in the ability to detect any essence use by even those Exalts with the ability to hide their anima.

So which if these interpretations is the setting-default assumption? Or is the truth in the fiction supposed to be somewhere in-between and the mechanics of both systems are a bit skewed?
      I think it's a concession Exalted Essence makes with regard being easier to run for inexperienced storytellers and new groups. Broadly speaking Exalts being able to detect each other can be said to create plot.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

• Hello,
        Apologies in advance for my noob questions, and especially if I'm posting in the wrong topic. The last time I played Exalted was in 2E heyday, and I’ve recently rediscovered this game and all the reasons I used to love it. Naturally I want to get into 3E and see how it plays before Essence arrives.

My question is about Artifacts and Evocations. So most weapons and armor are at least Artifact 3m and most Artifact 3+ items have a suite of Evocations (10 at least).
        So if I’m starting a game for a group of 4 noobs like myself, and they each want to have at least an artifact weapon, that would mean we have to come up with 40+ evocations somehow. It’s dauting, especially for someone who isn’t that familiar with the limits of what Charms (or Evocations) can do.
        So I’m hoping I may have understood it wrong. Is it OK to allow players to take 3-dot artifact weapons and armor but without Evocations? Or at least have various Evocations “emerge” as the game progresses and characters learn about their artifacts’ legend? I know this may then tone down the fact that artifacts are meant to be items of legendary power and amazingness, but the only other option would be to prevent players from taking this merit. (or force them to use only published artifacts)

So what should I do? How are you handling artifacts and evocations?
        Thank you for your answers, I’m super enthusiastic about the Exalted community.

Comment

• Hello,
          Apologies in advance for my noob questions, and especially if I'm posting in the wrong topic. The last time I played Exalted was in 2E heyday, and I’ve recently rediscovered this game and all the reasons I used to love it. Naturally I want to get into 3E and see how it plays before Essence arrives.

My question is about Artifacts and Evocations. So most weapons and armor are at least Artifact 3m and most Artifact 3+ items have a suite of Evocations (10 at least).
          So if I’m starting a game for a group of 4 noobs like myself, and they each want to have at least an artifact weapon, that would mean we have to come up with 40+ evocations somehow. It’s dauting, especially for someone who isn’t that familiar with the limits of what Charms (or Evocations) can do.
          So I’m hoping I may have understood it wrong. Is it OK to allow players to take 3-dot artifact weapons and armor but without Evocations? Or at least have various Evocations “emerge” as the game progresses and characters learn about their artifacts’ legend? I know this may then tone down the fact that artifacts are meant to be items of legendary power and amazingness, but the only other option would be to prevent players from taking this merit. (or force them to use only published artifacts)

Comment

• Originally posted by dhobbry View Post
            Hello,

So assuming you don't grab a premade artifact with its own evocation, which lets be honest always simplifies it, then if the player decides they want evocations on the artifact it would need to be built. Now perk the first, you would not need to have the artifact's entire suite of evocations mapped out from the start. If you can do that, and want to, that's awesome go for it. If the player doesn't want to have evocations on their artifact then that's fine no issues.

Second detail, evocations are sort of played off a theme of the artifact and the legend as you've stated. However, its also mentioned that it isn't like every bearer of an artifact gets the same evocations. So you can easily justify an artifact having some grand reputation with a handwave that powers potentially attributed to it previously were powers of its previous bearer mistaken as the weapon's, or powers derived from the artifact's relationship to that bearer that the current weilder can't unlock for whatever reason.

3rd, The artifact can also dislike their owner and refuse to give them their evocations as an excuse for not giving them the evocations. Yes different exalts technically have their resonance to bypass it, but as mentioned in Gorgon the weapon can decide to open up more or less depending on how well it resonates with the specific bearer. This is a viable reason to have evocations slowly emerge over the course of the game, the weapon either comes to have some sort of respect for the bearer or the bearer becomes someone more akin to the weapon's tastes and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by dhobbry View Post
              Hello,
              3E and Essence play differently. In my opinion, Essence plays better.

So I’m hoping I may have understood it wrong. Is it OK to allow players to take 3-dot artifact weapons and armor but without Evocations?
              Yes.

But, an artifact weapon is a significant thing. If you're playing a genius doctor, wandering around and curing cancer, you probably don't want an artifact weapon. Not, you can't have an artifact weapon, just that 3E works a lot better if every character isn't an omni-capable god of war wielding a weapon of legend.

Or at least have various Evocations “emerge” as the game progresses and characters learn about their artifacts’ legend?
              This is probably the best way to do it.

The Evocations each user brings put in a given artifact are basically unique. It's how your character's legend interacts with the legend of the artifact.

It's important that your artifact has a clear back story. What is it made of? Who made it and why? What great deeds have been performed with it? How did you get it?

Maybe make one Evocation for it, then grow the rest organically as the story goes on.

I know this may then tone down the fact that artifacts are meant to be items of legendary power and amazingness, but the only other option would be to prevent players from taking this merit. (or force them to use only published artifacts)
              The published artifacts are good.

I, personally, think Volcano Cutter is an unusable trash pile, and that Mela's Coil should be an N/A artifact. But aside from literally those two, everything else is usable but not game breaking.

And the world won't implode if you take Calumny's Evocations and put them on a Daiklave. (I probably wouldn't allow Fist of Titans Evocations on a pair of Smashfists, but most items are fine to steal from.)

The 3E rules, much like the 2E rules, don't actually work. It's not a crunchy system. It's a fluffy system that has 600 pages of suggestions. As ST, you will have to adjudicate pretty much everything your players do. You are going to have to house rule and homebrew. The base game is hilariously, and intentionally, not balanced. Many options are just straight-up better than others. Not "a better trade off", or "more likely to be useful under the most common conditions", but an optimal option paired with a trap option.

Don't be afraid to scale artifacts up and down in play. Make an Evocation. If it never gets used, buff it. If it always gets used, nerf it.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Thank you for the encouragement and the ideas, I think I'll try out a combination of your suggestions. We'll see when the game approaches.

Comment

• Here's a fun question: The messenger sorcery spell - what's the limitations on that? How well must you know a recipient in order to send a spell to someone? Is simply knowing their name enough? Must you have met the reciever in person face ot face? Just seem them randomly on the street?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

• Are there any universal restrictions on using Martial Arts while mounted? I am interested in using White Reaper style from horseback. The WR write up does not mention such a restriction but it's not at all unlikely that I missed something in the 3E tome.

Comment

• Deleted due to double-posting.

Comment

• EDIT: Apologies, somehow I didn't notice how old this thread was. Feel free to ignore me.

I have a (possibly very silly) 2e question.

Can Infernal Excellencies boost unrolled uses of an Attribute, as one might do with Lunar Excellencies? Like boosting Appearance in social combat, Stamina for soak, Strength for meeting a weapon's minimum requirements etc.

The Excellency does have a specific clause for actions not using an Ability: "If the action uses only an Attribute or Ability and not a combination of the two, the dice limit is the (used trait + Essence) instead."

I'm assuming there's a reason you can't do this, since I've never heard such a thing discussed before (and indeed I've head of Fiends going out of their way to buy Appearance Excellencies).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                          EDIT: Apologies, somehow I didn't notice how old this thread was. Feel free to ignore me.

I have a (possibly very silly) 2e question.

Can Infernal Excellencies boost unrolled uses of an Attribute, as one might do with Lunar Excellencies? Like boosting Appearance in social combat, Stamina for soak, Strength for meeting a weapon's minimum requirements etc.

The Excellency does have a specific clause for actions not using an Ability: "If the action uses only an Attribute or Ability and not a combination of the two, the dice limit is the (used trait + Essence) instead."

I'm assuming there's a reason you can't do this, since I've never heard such a thing discussed before (and indeed I've head of Fiends going out of their way to buy Appearance Excellencies).
                          I would rule it as valid.

It has a Step 2 use, so it can enhance Static Values.
                          It has a clause for when you don't include an Ability and are just enhancing an Atribute.
                          It specifically lists the terms for which you can use the Excellency as being based on theme and specifically not "innate talent or learned skill (i.e., Attributes or Abilities)".

I honestly don't remember if it got errata, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• The Scroll of Errata (I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version) doesn't seem to say anything about the Infernal Excellencies.

If that actually works, I guess GSPs were a bit more powerful than I ever thought.

Comment

• quick fun question: in 2nd ed - there's an abyssal melee charm that lets you reduce a target's permanent essence by 1

the charm doen't say anything about how you regain that essence. is it permanent loss? does it come back in a week? month?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

• A question I have is what counts as an X-based roll? If a charm adds an attribute or an ability to a roll does it then count as a roll based on that attribute or ability? What if you only add part of an attribute or ability? If I would add, let's say Lore, to a roll, due to a charm or something if the like, would it then be counted as a Lore based roll in addition to whatever else was being added? What is I only added Lore/2? What if I added the higher of Essence or Lore and Essence is higher?

Comment

Working...
                                X