Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double post

Comment

• I just noticed: in Heirs to the Shogunate (p. 212), there's an Essence 1 Eclipse Charm, Festering Rot, that deals aggravated damage to any living target with a decisive attack (in addition to some other unpleasant effects). It's only 4 motes.

Is it just me, or is that awfully cheap? Aggravated damage doesn't seem to grow on trees in 3e -- there are certainly Charms that deal aggravated damage to spirits or creatures of darkness or whatever, but few that just deal aggravated damage to the vast majority of possible targets so cheaply.

Comment

• Loom of Fate questions-

What can the loom of fate NOT see?
        Does the loom of fate write itself automatically based on what people choose to do or is it being written by the pattern spiders?
        If so on above how do the pattern spiders write around anything going on that they can't see?

Lastly are the affairs of the underworld and malfeas completely outside the "sight" of the loom of fate? Can the loom see Abyssal directly?

Comment

• In a similar vein - Underworld questions:

How does travel to the Underworld work outside of Shadowlands? Shadowlands take a lot of time to open, use, create, I mean more how does a Solar or Lunar (possibly with necromancy) open up a direct rift into the Underworld? What rolls are involved in 3e does anyone know?

Can ghosts automatically "cross over" to the Underworld at any time without a shadowland? If someone wanted to send a bound ghost to "the other side" to check that is.

Am I missing anything crucial in the concept here that makes my questions dumb? lol

Comment

• A question about the charm Heavenly Guardian Defense. One of its uses allows you to parry normally unparryable attacks. If used against an Ambush attack would it also allow you to apply other charms (such as Excellencies) to increase your base parry rating?

Comment

• How do the Dragon-Blooded of the Realm (and other Immaculate-faithful places generally) interact with cooperative gods?

Just as an example, consider Gri-Fel, the god of the Imperial City. Obviously, he's not in charge of the city (the Dragon-Blooded are in charge). But do they generally treat him with (at least superficial) respect, invite him to parties, and/or actually seek his opinion on issues of importance to the city? Or is he basically just expected to smile, shut the fuck up, and accept his share of Immaculate worship quietly?

Comment

• How many different kinds of Beastfolk are there? I know there'll never be a precise number, but I hope one of the editions has given or at least implied a ballpark.

Just the handful of types mentioned in the books, but no others? A few dozen different types? Hundreds of tribes with hundreds of different animal types? A Beastfolk tribe for every vertebrate and large invertebrate we can think of?

Do Beastfolk exist who are part magical or mutant animal, like unicorn, gryphon, forest mimic, basilisc...?

Can anyone please list all the types and tribes of Beastfolk that have been mentioned in all 3-4 editions so far? Particularly Ex3 and Essence?
                Last edited by Erinys; 10-28-2021, 02:43 PM. Reason: Now can I edit posts, pretty please?

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
                My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
                Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

• Oh, since I can't edit my posts....

How common is it for Beastfolk to combine two or more animals with the human form?

Can I edit posts today? This is just a test.
                  Last edited by Erinys; 10-29-2021, 02:05 PM.

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
                  Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

• Pretty rare I think.

The lunar methods like the Crucible charm or having a kid in hybrid form have you pick one or the other, if the lunar is a chimera. I guess the wyld could produce something messier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loving the Gorgon View Post
                      How does travel to the Underworld work outside of Shadowlands?
                      Mostly, it doesn't.
                      Originally posted by Loving the Gorgon View Post
                      Shadowlands take a lot of time to open, use, create, I mean more how does a Solar or Lunar (possibly with necromancy) open up a direct rift into the Underworld? What rolls are involved in 3e does anyone know?
                      Opening a permanent portal between realms (such as a small shadowland) is a suggested ambition 3 celestial circle working. [Goal Number 35: Intelligence + Occult versus Finesse+2per circle above initiation.]

Alternatively opening a rift that allows communication, possession, and limited interaction(not actual transportation) is suggested as an ambition 3 terrestrial circle working.

Or... you could try the 'natural' way with lots of murder, desecration, and such. Make your own or find one near an existing haunt site.
                      Can ghosts automatically "cross over" to the Underworld at any time without a shadowland? If someone wanted to send a bound ghost to "the other side" to check that is.
                      It's not automatic. Higher soul ghosts typically form in the Underworld and need to travers a shadowland to interact with the living. So if encounter a ghost in creation, it's a clue to the presence of a shadowland of some size.

Of course, there are always atypical events, where a ghost may inexplicably form in creation proper.

Then too you could always allow for a thaumaturgic ritual that summons an ancestor's ghost, or something.
                      Am I missing anything crucial in the concept here that makes my questions dumb? lol
                      There's just not a lot to work with in 3e about the nature of the underworld, necromancy, or other grave matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
                        A question about the charm Heavenly Guardian Defense. One of its uses allows you to parry normally unparryable attacks. If used against an Ambush attack would it also allow you to apply other charms (such as Excellencies) to increase your base parry rating?
                        Ambush attacks do not prevent you from using Reflexive actions, including any appropriate charm use. They just completely ignore the target's defence; the target is considered to have Defence of 0. Whether or not this means that ambush attacks are unblockable and undodgeable because they do this is up for interpretation.

But if you do allow that HGD gives normal defence, then that defence can be enhanced reflexively by other charms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                          How many different kinds of Beastfolk are there? I know there'll never be a precise number, but I hope one of the editions has given or at least implied a ballpark.

Just the handful of types mentioned in the books, but no others? A few dozen different types? Hundreds of tribes with hundreds of different animal types? A Beastfolk tribe for every vertebrate and large invertebrate we can think of?

Do Beastfolk exist who are part magical or mutant animal, like unicorn, gryphon, forest mimic, basilisc...?
                          Most of the first have nothing remotely like a canon answer in 3E to my knowledge, so I'll try to estimate

Lunar-created beast folk with Sharing Luna's Gifts can be literally any animal that Lunar has a form of, so theoretically as many kinds as there are animal species.
                          In practice there probably are only a few thousand such beast folk max, since there are 400-ish Lunars, and most don't have that charm, and they probably repeat fairly often, and arguably don't count as a "type" since they don't breed true.
                          Every Lunar who uses Beast-Soul Awakening Crucible creates a hereditary breed of beast folk or 2 based on their spirit shape(s). There're approximately 400 lunars at a time, but not all know that charm, and some Lunar beast folk lineages survive their creator. I'd probably estimate 100 kinds.

Wyld beast folk can theoretically be any animal, I'd guess at least 30 hereditary types, and probably less than 10,000 hereditary types.
                          Sorcerous beast folk are probably the rarest.
                          I feel like the setting works better if Lunar-associated beast folk are a large minority among beast folk, such that "that beast folk might be associated with a lunar" is a sign of someone paranoid about Lunars but not totally irrational.
                          So, maybe 100 large-scale lunar lineages, 400 wyld lineages, 100 sorcery, god blooded, or other lineages. Plus maybe 10,000 beast folk not from a lineage but the result of singular workings

From another point of view, I've seen estimate of the total Creation's population of 500 million. If 1% are beast folk, that's 5,000,000 beast folk. If they're divided into mostly groups of on average 5000, that's 1000 varieties. Groups too much smaller than 5000 will probably have a lot of difficulty lasting long periods of time without marrying out of the lineage. It's hard to get a good sense of the average size since there's probably a lot of tiny groups and a few large ones

I don't think there's any mention of beast folk of a supernatural animal. Some things can result in a beast folk of multiple animals, which could basically be a gryphon beast folk, but those wouldn't be common (and often won't be hereditary).
                          My impression is that hereditary supernatural powers are very rare, so you're unlikely to have a lineage with some supernatural power besides being animally, but a singular wild-created or sorcerously-created beast folk, or a god-blooded (using god to include Exalts, Demons, Elementals, etc) certainly could have supernatural powers. I'm not sure you'd call them a beast folk, though

Comment

• A couple of questions regarding Getimians:

I have read through The section on Getimeinas in Exalted Essence and I have a couple of questions. Given that there isn’t a ton of info on getimians in published book it’s likely that there aren’t official answers to these questions but I’d be interested in other people’s takes on them.

1: How different a world are Getimians from? Is it basically an entirely different setting? Is it creation but one or two things went differently?
                            2: Were the characters exalts in their own setting? If so was it one of the normal types or a getimian?

Comment

• Originally posted by satoshi View Post
                              1: How different a world are Getimians from? Is it basically an entirely different setting? Is it creation but one or two things went differently?
                              Getimians are explicitly formed from thwarted Destinies. So they recall a Creation that could have been. How much of a change that entails is your story to tell.
                              Originally posted by satoshi View Post
                              2: Were the characters exalts in their own setting? If so was it one of the normal types or a getimian?
                              The default assumption should be that they were mortal. A setting conceit is that Exalts are less affected by Heavens' meddling with Fate and Destiny. But....

Comment

• This thread may be useful to you: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...t-on-getimians

Originally posted by autXautY View Post
                                Most of the first have nothing remotely like a canon answer in 3E to my knowledge, so I'll try to estimate
                                That's pretty useful, thanks!
                                I'll also happily take any numbers that were implied by 2E or 1E, though. Were there any?

One of the things I've wondered is what sort of animals are "used" as templates for Beastfolk, at least when they're made intentionally. Is it mostly animals that would provide abilities useful in warfare? (Wolffolk, bearfolk, hyenafolk, eaglefolk; but not mousefolk, guppyfolk, or mousefolk) After reading headcanon suggestions that Beastfolk are probably a downtrodden slave race in baseline-human countries, I thought about what types would be especially valued, but I'm not sure if anyone would go to the trouble of creating Beastfolk for slavery when humans are so easily enslaved.

It surprises me that Wyld mutations can result in anything as mundane as Beastfolk, but if that is the majority of them then I'd guess they could be any random animal that lives near the edges of Creation.

Since there seem to be rules for them in Lunars, let me ask: when Beastfolk from two separate hereditary lines mate, are their children a mix of two animals, or does each take after just one parent or the other?

Comment

Working...
                                X