• Show
Clear All

• Original Spell - Sword Heart Assertion

Sword Heart Assertion
    Circle: Terrestrial/Emerald
    Cost: 15sm, 2wp
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Instant

The sorcerer regards a weapon as though a mirror, and sees himself in it. He makes an incantation gesture to the war gods of each of the cardinal directions, and the weapon rises to serve them.

This spell targets a melee weapon within Medium range (two range bands away). From that weapon, it immediately creates an intangible construct, a Sword Heart, which can wield that weapon on behalf of the sorcerer. The sword heart has a firm hold on the weapon when they appear and does not let go until death.

This spell can disarm someone of a weapon they are wielding. Attuned artifact weapons cannot be disarmed this way. The sorcerer attempts a Disarm gambit at range, using a pool of Charisma+Occult, opposed by the Resolve or Parry of the defender, their choice. If the gambit fails, so does the spell; if the gambit succeeds, the target weapon is now wielded by the sword heart who is at Close range of the original wielder.

Sword-hearts evoked from artifact weapons are more powerful; use the traits below.

Sword Heart, Mundane Weapon

Essence: 1; Willpower 4; Join Battle: 6
    Health Levels: -0x2 / -1x2 / -2x2 / Dead
    Actions:
    • Keeping A Grip On The Weapon: 12 dice
    • Pursue My Master Across Walls And Ceilings As Though Wielded By A Spider Monster: 8 dice
    • Cover Ground As Though Wielded By A Human: 6 dice
    • Silently Menace: 4 dice
    • Pry Open Doors Et Al: 6 dice
    Appearance 1, Resolve 4, Guile 1
    Intimacies:
    • Defining Tie: The one who called me forth (Loyalty)
    • Defining Principle: I am a weapon.
    COMBAT

Attack (Light Weapon): 10 dice (Damage 10L)
    Attack (Medium Weapon): 8 dice (Damage 12L)
    Attack (Heavy Weapon): 6 dice (Damage 14L)
    Combat Movement: 6 dice, or 8 dice when pursuing the caster
    Evasion 3, Parry 3, Vs Disarm 6
    Soak/Hardness: 3/0

MERITS

Immaterial: The sword heart is immaterial save for its grip on the weapon. It cannot be injured by attacks which cannot target immaterial spirits. It can be dispelled by magic, by breaking its weapon, or by a successful Disarm gambit removing its weapon. It is normally imperceptible, but those who can perceive spirits see it as a humanoid smear of the same colors and shapes as its weapon.

Sorcerous Construct: The sword-heart is immune to poison and disease, and has no need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. They treat all social influence as unacceptable, unless following the orders of their master or faced with magic such as the Dawn Caste anima power. Automaton battle groups have perfect morale.

Quality Matters: Sword-hearts from exceptional weapons enjoy a +2 bonus to all actions and +1 to their DVs.

Firm Grip: The base DV of the sword-heart against Disarm gambits is always 6.

WEAKNESSES

Contingent: If a sword-heart is disarmed, or its weapon is destroyed, it dies and vanishes. Distorting the spell (target number 6) will also kill it.

Dependent: The sword heart lasts indefinitely so long as it remains within Medium range of the sorcerer. It will not obey commands to go farther than that, and will always prioritize remaining within Medium range of the sorcerer above all else. If it is out of range of the sorcerer at the end of the scene, it dissolves.

Sword Heart, Artifact Weapons

Essence: 1; Willpower 6; Join Battle: 6
    Motes: 15
    Health Levels: -0x2 / -1x2 / -2x2 / Dead
    Actions:
    • Keeping A Grip On The Weapon: 14 dice
    • Pursue My Master As Though Wielded By A Spider Monster: 10 dice
    • Cover Ground As Though Wielded By A Human: 8 dice
    • Silently Menace: 8 dice
    • Pry Open Doors Et Al: 8 dice
    Appearance 1, Resolve 6, Guile 1
    Intimacies:
    • Defining Tie: The one who called me forth (Loyalty)
    • Defining Principle: I am a weapon.
    COMBAT

Attack (Light Weapon): 13 dice (Damage 14L / O3)
    Attack (Medium Weapon): 11 dice (Damage 16L / O4)
    Attack (Heavy Weapon): 9 dice (Damage 18L/ O5)
    Combat Movement: 8 or 10 dice
    Evasion 5, Parry 5, Vs Disarm 7
    Soak/Hardness: 6/0

MERITS

Legendary: The sword heart attunes to itself at no cost. It has access to either (Artifact rating) Evocations, or an excellency which may add up to (Artifact) dice to attacks and parries.

Immaterial: The sword heart is immaterial save for its grip on the weapon. It cannot be injured by attacks which cannot target immaterial spirits. It can be dispelled by magic, by breaking its weapon, or by a successful Disarm gambit removing its weapon. It is normally imperceptible, but those who can perceive spirits see it as a humanoid smear of the same colors and shapes as its weapon.

Sorcerous Construct: The sword-heart is immune to poison and disease, and has no need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. They treat all social influence as unacceptable, unless following the orders of their master or faced with magic such as the Dawn Caste anima power. Automaton battle groups have perfect morale.

Firm Grip: The base DV of the sword-heart against Disarm gambits is always 6.

WEAKNESSES

Contingent: If a sword-heart is disarmed, or its weapon is destroyed, it dies and vanishes. Distorting the spell (target number 6) will also kill it.

Dependent: The sword heart lasts indefinitely so long as it remains within Medium range of the sorcerer. It will not obey commands to go farther than that, and will always prioritize remaining within Medium range of the sorcerer above all else. If it is out of range of the sorcerer at the end of the scene, it dissolves.
    Last edited by Kukla; 02-20-2021, 09:04 PM. Reason: correcting the title, correcting artifact weapon combat movement

So.... a conjured weapon-wielder-thingy that floats around and lets you make a swarm of floating swords that attack anyone in range

neat

does it work with ranged weapons like bows?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
      does it work with ranged weapons like bows?
      Nope. I deprecated that mode, it was too much an edge case. Reloading was too strange.

Comment

What if it is a control spell?

Comment

I keep forgetting about that. I'll think about it and come back to it.

Comment

Working...
          X