No announcement yet.

So you want to be an Alchemist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, now I'm thinking about the idea that guano mixed with powdered red jade plus a few other reagents as a substitute for firedust is something that would make sense as not even a literal transmutation and just being a combustible mixture.

Which only further complicates and obscures what the parameters of the Craft are.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      Hmm, now I'm thinking about the idea that guano mixed with powdered red jade plus a few other reagents as a substitute for firedust is something that would make sense as not even a literal transmutation and just being a combustible mixture.

Which only further complicates and obscures what the parameters of the Craft are.
      Firedust isn't magical. I'd let a player make a firedust substitute with Craft: Alchemy. (I think Scroll of Kings offered another firedust substitute made of pine oil.)

I wouldn't let a player turn lead into gold (without Craft: Artifact or a Working). But I'd let them make Five Bounties Paste as a Major Project

I wouldn't let a player make a tincture that separated the good and evil parts of their soul (without Craft: Artifact or a Working). But I'd let them brew a tonic that let's them see ghosts as a Major Project.

I'd let them make a varnish that harderns Ironwood. Or a reagent that makes feathersteel. Or a luck potion that works as a talisman. I'd let them cook meth. YMMV.

I would have Craft: Alchemy be an appropriate Means for alchemical workings.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Well, alchemical reagents were often mentioned in the core as an alternative to firedust for use in places not South, so yeah, just ignore that they call the result "firedust".

It's nice to have a rules reference for making such a thing, even if we only got it as "there's no gunpowder allowed but ...".

Comment

So this is kinda what I said already but I said it really unclearly so

1. Treat “alchemy” as just an antiquated word for chemistry.

2. Note that Creation has an arbitrarily wide variety of quasi-magical chemicals with strange and miraculous properties.

3. Consider that, even when not getting fictional reactants involved, there’s nothing but precedent for saying that many of the things early- and pre-modern alchemists/chemists thought possible that aren’t possible IRL should be possible in Creation.

Upshot? Most of what you mentioned or were thinking of in the OP should be fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            Firedust isn't magical. I'd let a player make a firedust substitute with Craft: Alchemy. (I think Scroll of Kings offered another firedust substitute made of pine oil.)

I wouldn't let a player turn lead into gold (without Craft: Artifact or a Working). But I'd let them make Five Bounties Paste as a Major Project

I wouldn't let a player make a tincture that separated the good and evil parts of their soul (without Craft: Artifact or a Working). But I'd let them brew a tonic that let's them see ghosts as a Major Project.

I'd let them make a varnish that harderns Ironwood. Or a reagent that makes feathersteel. Or a luck potion that works as a talisman. I'd let them cook meth. YMMV.

I would have Craft: Alchemy be an appropriate Means for alchemical workings.

Perhaps a question would be what would you think would clearly not be alchemy then? Beyond where some other craft clearly did the job. Like sure you could, to use your example, make feathersteel with alchemy but you are going to need blacksmithing or weaponsmithing to make a weapon out of the steel you made. Alchemy in a lot of settings gets used to create or manipulate life and we sort of see at least the later with how Volivats alchemists make superfood. If you have some fantasy setting and find some artificial humanoid or creature being grown in a tube it is probably alchemy. Speaking of workings though that does remind me on what exactly should Sorcery be able to do that sufficient Craft can't?

https://www.youtube.com/BogMod I play a lot of videogames.

Comment

Originally posted by BogMod View Post

Perhaps a question would be what would you think would clearly not be alchemy then? Beyond where some other craft clearly did the job. Like sure you could, to use your example, make feathersteel with alchemy but you are going to need blacksmithing or weaponsmithing to make a weapon out of the steel you made. Alchemy in a lot of settings gets used to create or manipulate life and we sort of see at least the later with how Volivats alchemists make superfood. If you have some fantasy setting and find some artificial humanoid or creature being grown in a tube it is probably alchemy. Speaking of workings though that does remind me on what exactly should Sorcery be able to do that sufficient Craft can't?
              I don't think there is a clear delineation in crafts. Two of the sample crafts in the Core are Carpentry and Woodworking.

I'd let you build a firewand with Craft Weapons. Or Craft Mechanical Devices. Or Craft Firedust Applications. I'd let you build an ironwood firewand with Craft Woodworking. I'd let you build a Dragon Sigh Wand with Craft Artifact and Craft Jadecarving.

Same for Craft and Sorcerery.

My Twilight is building an artifact hand. My Earth Aspect is using a Working to restore a lost limb.

Different means can reach the same ends.

Making life in a tube is probably Craft Alchemy and Craft First Age Artifice. But I'd let folks use something like Craft Genesis/Fleshcrafting/Horticulture/Simulacrum instead.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                I'll say what I've said elsewhere; if the game is going to introduce something like alchemy, it's irresponsible to do so in a manner so piecemeal that a thread such as this becomes necessary.

Also weird to introduce the idea that the capacity to transmute things, but maybe only if you include something like magical materials into the mix (?), functions as a mundane craft in the Hundred Devils entry for bats.
                Wait. Bats? Where's that one? https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...Spider-and-Bat

this?

Comment

I am also curious about the bats.

https://www.youtube.com/BogMod I play a lot of videogames.

Comment

Originally posted by BogMod View Post
                    I am also curious about the bats.
                    Ok. A friend of mine got a screenshot. No need to spend money.

It appears that you can use Craft (Alchemy) to turn bat guano into explosives. A difficulty 3 craft alchemy roll into 6 charges of firedust. Though it also requires a sprinkling of red jade.

Comment

Working...
                    X