X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elkovash View Post
    copy-pasted from my Discord.
    I like it.

I don't think it dilutes the Lunar niche.
    If we were to start with Martial Arts, we could crib out the lower level "Latent" Traits and bundle those, leaving the native Exalted charmless untouched.

(Thematically, I think the reason animals get these abilities is that the game is tuned to human baseline and these are meant to be abilities humans don't have.)
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-01-2021, 03:27 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Elkovash View Post
      copy-pasted from my Discord.

So, I've been thinking;

Originally when EX3 was pitched, the devs were wanting to include a robust 'technique' system for MA styles that were accessible for everyone and the exalted could expand upon with their charms. Ultimately, this design was scrapped because the people involved couldn't find a way to justify sets of effects accessible to the exalted that didn't just eat into their charm space (a least that's what I read when it was discussed).
      With the introduction of Lunars to the game's world and mechanics, perhaps this concern was less worrisome than it first appeared. Because we have a set of 'techniques' Exalted have access to (Lunars anyway) that are limited in their use so as to not overtake charm space. And those are Animal traits.

Now, verisimilitude question- why do animals have access to charm-lite effects but Humans for some reason do not? They are both natural creatures that need to occupy the same world, but Animals for some reason have access to 'I can't believe it's not magic' (as defined by low essence charms) where Humans are left in the lurch. I don't know if I personally have the wherewithal to actually plot this out as a whole system- but the thought is in my head and I wanted to run it by people none the less.

Open up Animal traits to be just 'traits' that any character can purchase. Leave them restricted in their use, so certain traits are only accessible in certain situations (like attacking from stealth) or with certain features (like wings). let these traits cost like... the same as charms. why not? 10exp. (kinda just cribbing lunars here) Let MA styles bundle together a set of traits themed to their style that people can access at a reduced cost, or with some other catch that makes them more easily accessible.

Now, the big question- Do these traits now take over small details like dice adders and dice tricks to free up charm space to concentrate on actual power effects and abilities? Or do Exalted retain their dice trick charms so they have more universal access to those tricks without having to jump through the same hoops as mortals but at the cost of a few motes? Does this dilute Lunar's nieche too much? (I don't think so, but its a potential concern)

The latter requires less re-writing but retains some of the charm bloat or hurdle charm issues some people have with the system the way it is.
      I think it's doable.

The main criticism I had with Techniques during the playtest was that they were too structured. Snake and Tiger Style each had their own charm like abilities and the ones associated with Snake Style seemed much more useful if you were a mortal fighting against someone with access to dice adders. Also that 6 mortal level techniques before each style would increase the buy-in cost for people who wanted to roleplay being a great martial artist prior to Exaltation but subsequently never use them.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
      Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Maybe they could have just made the essence 1 charms be buyable by mortals and have a base effect that was free or cost WP and then a more powerful effect (or upgrade to the base version) that cost essence to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          Maybe they could have just made the essence 1 charms be buyable by mortals and have a base effect that was free or cost WP and then a more powerful effect (or upgrade to the base version) that cost essence to use.
          Doesn't seem unreasonable, just a yet-lower-powered iteration of the Terrestrial Keyword would do.

Comment

Would probably require re-working the styles a bit though. I tried to mortal-keyword the essence 1 snake style charms and it quickly became clear that there wasn't much space for it.

Comment

New Keywords

Mortal-OK: Mortals may buy this Charm. They may spend Initiative instead of motes (on a one-to-one basis) to pay Charm costs. Some Mortal-OK charms list alternative costs that mortals may use to activate the Charm

Enlightened: This Charm has additional effects when made by beings with an Essence pool.

Serpentine Evasion
              Cost: 2m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1
              Type: Reflexive
              Keywords: Mastery, Uniform, Mortal-OK
              Duration: Instant
              Prerequisite Charms: None

Ducking and weaving, the snake confounds predators’ attempts at violence. Serpentine Evasion adds +1 to the martial artist’s Evasion against a single attack.

If the attack is made after the martial artist has already taken her turn that round, she may declare this Charm after the attack has already been rolled — enemies who cannot even keep pace with her in battle have no hope of striking her.

Mastery: Successfully evading an attack after using this Charm cumulatively lowers the cost of subsequent activations of it by one mote until the martial artist’s next turn.

Striking Cobra Technique
              Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
              Type: Supplemental
              Keywords: Dual, Mastery, Enlightened, Mortal-OK
              Duration: Instant
              Prerequisite Charms: None

The snake claims its victory not by striking hardest, but by striking first. Against an enemy with lower Initiative or who hasn’t taken their turn yet this round, Striking Cobra Technique adds the martial artist’s Dexterity to the raw damage of a withering attack, or one die to the raw damage of a decisive attack.

Enlightened: Against enemies in Initiative Crash, the withering damage boost is added after soak, while the decisive damage boost is converted to an automatic success.

Mastery: Add the martial artist’s (Essence + 2) to her Initiative when determining if she can use this Charm against an enemy.

Snake Form
              Cost: 8m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1
              Type: Simple
              Keywords: Form, Enlightened, Mortal-OK
              Duration: One scene
              Prerequisite Charms: Serpentine Evasion, Striking
              Cobra Technique

The martial artist steps back into the posture of a wary snake—head back, ready to attack or retreat. Her motions become sinuous and hypnotic, as mesmerizing as they are deadly. Enemies are entranced by this posture, taking a -1 penalty on attack rolls against her if their Initiative rating is lower than the martial artist’s. In addition, this flexible pose makes it easier to roll with attacks and thus minimize their impact, adding the stylist’s Dexterity rating to her soak.

Enlightened: Instead all attackers take a -1 penalty, which increases to -3 if the attackers Initiative rating is lower than the martial artist’s.

Special activation rules: Whenever the martial artist makes a withering attack which lowers an enemy’s current Initiative value from greater than her own to less than her own, she may reflexively activate Snake Form. Mortal users of Snake form only may assume Snake Form for only 1WP instead of 8i if using the Reflexive activation or activating the Form on their first action in a combat.
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-03-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Striking Cobra Technique is hideously bad for mortals. The decisive version is obviously useless, netting you -2 damage on hit, but the withering version isn't much better off either - even in your best case scenario (you have 5 dex, you hit successfully, and you already have enough damage to punch through your opponent's soak) you can expect to gain 2.5i for a 3i investment. Ew.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                  Striking Cobra Technique is hideously bad for mortals. The decisive version is obviously useless, netting you -2 damage on hit, but the withering version isn't much better off either - even in your best case scenario (you have 5 dex, you hit successfully, and you already have enough damage to punch through your opponent's soak) you can expect to gain 2.5i for a 3i investment. Ew.
                  The intent would be to get a Withering damage boost a la chopping that might help you Crash an opponent. Remember, you might only be gaining 2.5i for your attack, but they're losing 2.5i (and these tricks aren't calibrated to the level of Solar Charms but to the dice tricks already available to mortals). Calibrate to taste.

The decisive thing is just because I couldn't be bothered to copy-paste that section of charm out into the enlightened area. Too wordy for too little gain.

And, of course, if you're using OPs idea for Endurance, Focus, and Passion you could pay with one of those instead of initiative. It's just meant to be illustrative.

You could just let them have the Charm as printed.
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-03-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X