Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lunar Crafting Charm. How could it be made better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Crafting Charm. How could it be made better?

My Lunar player wanted a Charm like Craftsman Needs No Tools and this is what I came up with. It draws heavily upon CNNT but needed some oomph since the faster creation times are part of another Lunar Charm so I added the Protean aspect. Any opinions on flavor or mechanics are appreciated.

Empty-Handed Construction Method
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Intelligence 1, Essence 1
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Mute, Protean
    Duration: One task
    Prerequisite Charms: None
    By distilling Luna's transformative power through the work of her hands the Lunar artisan may manipulate the materials of
    her craft without tools. Without the need for tools or a workshop the exalt can start basic and major projects as soon as she
    has the proper ingredients. Using Empty-Handed Construction Method does allow for the Lunar to gain craft point bonuses
    from her handiwork, and can be used equally well in both building and repair projects.

Protean: In shapes renowned for their artisanship (for human shapes Craft 3+ or a specialization; or for animals known for
    their type's constructions, such as a bee's hive) and using the appropriate tools the Lunar gains one bonus non-Charm
    success to all relevant Crafting rolls

Craftsman Needs No Tools costs 6m for no tools and speed up.

CNNT is discounted 2m if you use tools.

Shaping Hand Style costs 6m for no tools or speed up. And is a Terrestrial Charm.

A Charm that just does no tools shouldn't cost the same as a Charm which does more.

I would put a Charm that added a non-Charm success (which isn't massive for Basic and Major projects) and no tools at 4m, not 6m. 3m if we made the Charm count as Exceptional Tools so it wouldn't stack if you did use tools.

I'm indifferent on the Mute keyword. If you're forging steel with your bare hands, it's pretty clear that something supernatural is going on there whether you are glowing or not. But if you take the cost of the Charm below 5m it doesn't make that much of a difference if it's Mute or not.

Otherwise... I like it. Good Charm.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-25-2021, 07:46 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Given that crafting happens in dramatic time, is mote cost really a big differentiator? Don't disagree that comparision says 6m is too pricey, just wondering, in practical terms, how much does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
        Given that crafting happens in dramatic time, is mote cost really a big differentiator? Don't disagree that comparision says 6m is too pricey, just wondering, in practical terms, how much does it matter?
        It... depends.

I've used CNNT to make a battering ram to knock down a door, then immediately got into combat on the other side of that door.

If you're going to get jumped by assassins, getting ambushed in your workshop is a great set-up.

If you're combining lots of Charms together, it's important to see if you can pay the total cost. Also useful to see if you flare anima -- which could have dramatic implications.

As an ST, I like to keep the PCs pressured. You don't let to take a Long Rest between each encounter -- you are on a timer rushing from one crisis to the next. Even if there's an hour between Crafting a present for the Prince and presenting it to her, you're still 1m down for that social scene if this Charm costs 6m. And if you spend 7m in the social scene, now you're 3m down for sneaking out the Palace by scaling the wall from the window. And if you full excellency your stealth and athletics rolls then you're down 5m before you even start your mission for the Prince in the middle of a crowded city where you can't reveal your anima with getting Wyld Hunted.

But generally speaking...

A basic/major project is very unlikely to need a massive number of motes thrown at it.
        Craft is generally done in narrative time, if not downtime.
        The mote costs don't really matter.

I, personally, would probably make it 3m, count as giving you Tools for one Craft project, make the Protean benefit counting as Exceptional Tools (so +1 non-Charm success), and drop Mute. I think doing that would be better from a "feel good" factor and it would resolve any unforeseen stacking weirdness.

But you could absolutely use the Charm as written and it wouldn't be a bad Charm. How much does the mote cost matter? Very little in terms of practical system mechanics.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Well, there are times you will want an impressive anima flare up while you are working, and the six motes will contribute a level and a fifth to that end.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations! I've implemented most of them but kept Mute. The Solar Charm has it so whatever. I'll just keep it.

Comment

Working...
            X