Lunar combat styles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar combat styles

People who have played Lunars, how do you find yourself fighting the most often? Human form with weapons, hybrid warform, or animal shapeshifted?

I have made so many War Form Grapplers it's not even funny (okay that's a lie it's hilarious). Lots of mutations enhance grapples, can go all in on Strength thanks to the one charm that lets you calculate accuracy with strength, and Kraken Arm Lash means nobody is safe (cause think about it, medium range grapple means an opponent has to start their turn at Extreme range to be out of your potential threat radius after you take your move action). Build decent Join Battle so you have enough initiative to start grappling from the get go and you can do some disgusting stuff.

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of a Owl-bear grappler.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Still working on my first 3e Lunar, that is also the PCs part-time Shanan-Ya due to story shenaningans and double-edged ST favors.

While i do not remember the specific charms involved at the moment, I guess one might define its (twin-faced hero all the way) fighting style as "behold my Flight of Separation & Death of Obsidian Butterflies impersonation". He turns in a veritable cloud of birds, insects or other things to evade attacks and engulf adversaries at the same time, using charms to enhance the "cloud's" damage-dealing potential while at it.
        Last edited by Baaldam; 03-06-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

My one 3e Lunar is a weak fighter in a party where she's able to do support, so this won't be much of a data point. Most of the time she just does sorcery shit -- turning into a small animal form and zipping around with Invulnerable Sphere of Water (as control spell) has been kind of her thing. Flying forms are also fun with Mists of Eventide as you can bomb people with it while staying above the mist. In general, I find sorcery is more fun in animal forms because you can do weird shit.

In combat, she mostly stays human unless she wants the Evasion bonus from size, because it's easier to coordinate and attack at range -- she doesn't have any Charms to help her communicate in animal form, so it's annoying to have to switch back and forth if she needs to say something -- but because her stats suck by Exalted standards, animal forms often actually improve her pools, so she goes to death moa for damage or walrus for defense if she really needs to. It's rarely more useful than sorcery, though, so it hasn't come up much.

We finally hit Essence 3, so now she has Ant-and-Starfish Trick, and I got her two of the latent dog/wolf abilities: the upgrade to Pack Hunter, and the one that lets them flurry defend other with no flurry penalties. So that may end up being her thing from this point on, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Comment

I made a Deadly Beastman Transformation based Lunar with Mountainous Spirit Expression (you can do this at e1 with Glory Sphere), and i just became Rip and Tear man. Honestly i barely used charms in combat at all, because 1) its an expensive build to start with so there wasnt a lot of room, and 2) it didn't really matter what charms you have when you can make unopposed grapple rolls and bite peoples heads off with Fangs Merit, and 3) I have a resting soak of 20+ without armor in this form and 19 HLs so it's gonna take an Octavian tier threat to risk actual harm on me. I just used Brawl with my fists for most attacks. I bought Boulders as Pebbles and had a harpoon so i could YEET people from grapple and make ranged attacks.

One of my lunargame partymates just went all sorcery, and often cast it as a bird, which is equally funny and terrifying, because any given bird chirping could be casting DoOB. We had Death Kitty (straight ripped off from this very forum) who abused WDC to do cat shenanigans, and a Grapple Focused Stealth Support claw strider using the pack hunter bonus.

ive seen No Moon sorcerer builds that are "just" shifting into a Tyrant Lizard for Murder Time and invest their xp in Nerd Stuff. That's totally valid.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
            -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

I made a Lunar that was all about being a living menagerie. Quick shifting between forms when they were the most useful and bought up all the charms leading to appearance boosters while I was waiting for essence 2 and 3 to finish off the reflexive shifting charms.

My character didn’t have any physical excellencies, so combat was always just whatever animal form suited the action he was wanting to take. Being a bear to defend his friends, being an owl to harry enemies, being a mouse to avoid direct attacks. Got a lot of mileage out of the whole lot.

I had originally planned to pick up a bunch of animal traits to beef out individual forms, but the group questioned the balance of such a build so I ended up avoiding them and just being the right animal for any given moment.

(10chars)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                I have a resting soak of 20+ without armor in this form
                Could you break that down?

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord
                it's gonna take an Octavian tier threat to risk actual harm on me.
                Poison seems like it should be a good tactic to employ.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

I have a Lunar who is currently solid with just exy’s and DBT. She’s a tiny soak monster. Just go DBT and use her smashing claws and improved DBT combat movement and she’s frightening. She takes withering hits a lot but her soak hits 18 before any exy’s. If she takes decisive she goes lunar fury and heals. Her offense is just finding the needles eye and if she needs more she can excellency dump. She does not have maxed fight pools, dex 4 brawl 3 claws specialty. It works fine so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    Could you break that down?
                    with a battering ram, perhaps.

Stamina (5), Unusual Hide (5), Carapace (Doubles U.H.), Stone of the Resilient Bamboo (2), Legendary Size (3)

5+ (5x2) + 2 + 3 = 20.

Getting Glory Sphere from Radical Balsamic Vinegrette and socketing it in your body lets you buy MSE at E1. And since you gain 4m/hour from the Greater Hearthstone it offsets the cost of maintaining MSE (outside of combat anyway). You could put on mundane armor, or learn ISoB, or take some charms, but I didn't. I just walked around as a terrifying, shirtless 8 ton Wereshark.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    Poison seems like it should be a good tactic to employ.
                    Eh, Stam 5 Res 3 means it's not gonna be easy. And at Legendary Size making unopposed grapples into lethal decisives with Fangs, so applying contact posion is going to be a risky maneuver. This character was for a one shot, but if i get to play him again he's going to buy that charm that lets him eat anything and immune to digested poisons. I'm not saying its impossible, just that he's not especially weak to it.
                    Last edited by Sorcerous Overlord; 03-08-2021, 05:29 AM.

-Chausse

Comment

I usually found myself keeping to whatever form suited me best for the situation and the opponents I fought. Though like many, I did do a lot of soak monsters. Got to the point in some of the 2E stuff that I couldn't be defeated until they introduced the minimum damage rule. Even with that some of the healing charms for DBT dealt with that mostly. I stayed with human forms for most of my trivial opponents, though would always 'armor' up my hide some if required. For the down and dirty boss fights, it was usually best to go Deadly Beastman. Though I've also been known for my Lunar sharks/siaka builds, but I've done a number of other things. Depending on the build, many martial art styles (especially for 2E) worked well enough with human forms/humanoid forms. MAs like Seafaring Hero for my sea-creature Lunars was both thematic and helped to further reduce damage by sacrificing a little bit of DVs. Especially when you knew you were going to take damage anyway.

Comment

I am currently going for a soak/berserker build with a bear lunar full moon. Human form combined with moon silver artifacts. Works fine.

Comment

Just wait until Bear Style comes out!

-Chausse

Comment

How would you make a ranged build? Like in archery ranged or just long range.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
                              How would you make a ranged build? Like in archery ranged or just long range.
                              Gun-Goose. Swan animal shape (Waterfowls Grace) + Last Warriors Unity + Weirdflame (any other instant-reload moonsilver ranged weapon will do just as well mechanically, Moonlit Huntress is stronger but Weirdflame is cooler).
                              Last edited by limaxophobiac; 03-13-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X