Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Terrestrial Spell - Grass Of Palms

Grass Of Palms

A comparatively slow but flexible spell for toting large amounts of supplies or passengers. Sacrifices speed for massive carrying capacity.

Cost: 15sm, 1wp
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One day and night

The caster casts his will like seeds upon the ground, and soft hands of green and ashy shadow reach up from it. These hands form a carpet that spreads across the earth or floor and can carry great weights.

When the spell is cast, the hands spread out to cover the ground within short range of the caster. At the caster's behest, they will pick up anything or anyone that holds still for them, and carry it to where-ever the caster wishes by passing it from hand to hand at about 4 mph. Each individual hand is very strong; they can support a weight of about two thousand pounds per square foot of area - or, marble stacked twelve feet high, iron stacked four feet high, ice stacked thirty feet high, or flour stacked sixty feet high.

The hands will appear on very steep slopes, but not ceilings or vertical walls.

The hands follow the caster as he travels, fading in to the earth as he departs or rising from the earth as he arrives. If the caster travels faster than the palms can pass cargo, then they set it down gently upon the ground as they vanish. The ride is very smooth for cargo and passengers alike.

The hands do not appear on the surface of water or other liquids, only on solid surfaces.

The hands catch the sorcerer if he lands on them, reducing damage as though he had fallen one range category less.

Control Spell: "Sticky Palms." The grass of palms appears on vertical walls and ceilings as well. It can pull as well as it lifts, and pass the caster and his possessions along ceilings or walls. Additionally, the caster may make Withering attacks against anyone within the palms as though they were a light throwing weapon, wielded with (Wits+Occult) and using Intelligence to calculate base damage. They may also use a Grapple gambit, but the hands will only Restrain And Drag, never Savage or Throw.

Distortion (Goal Number 20): Instead of picking up whatever the caster commands and putting it where he desires, the hands pick up everything that holds still for them and carry it away from the caster. At the edge of the grass of palms, they drop it indelicately.

I like it. It's a fittingly weird and interesting way for sorcery to provide a means of remotely carrying stuff. Definitely seems like it would make for a striking image within a travelling sorcerer's procession.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

It could stand to be a smidge faster.

Cloud Trapeze is Celestial Circle, but it's 30 to 50 mph and includes flight.

This can't fly and though it certainly shouldn't be faster than a Celestial spell, but I think you'd be safe making this default to walking speed, but if the Sorcerer moves faster then the hands will keep pace up to 10mph before giving up and vanishing. Might be a little wordy.

Also... how long is the duration?

Is it 24 hours (daytime and nighttime) or 36 hours (one day then one night)?
      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-07-2021, 10:20 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Yeah I think you could bump it to something like (Intelligence + Essence) mph, but this seems like something you use when you're moving in caravan, so it doesn't need to be that fast, so long as it carries a hell of a lot more than Stormwind Rider. You'd expect the gap between this and Cloud Trapeze to be on the order of the gap between DoOB and Cantata, after all.

My primary comments by way of criticism are, first I think you need to give a better idea of how much the spell can hold in total, because "out to short range" doesn't cover a specific square footage and people will want to know how much they can tote; and second, as JohnDoe notes, "one day and night" is unusual wording. Things that last 24 hours generally list their duration as "one day", and if that's not the intention then the duration might need a clarity rewrite.

Comment

Originally posted by Gayo View Post

My primary comments by way of criticism are, first I think you need to give a better idea of how much the spell can hold in total, because "out to short range" doesn't cover a specific square footage and people will want to know how much they can tote
          I was eyeballing it as "basically everything within 15 feet". Because it can carry one ton per square foot... so like... well over 200 tons.

You're not going to be stacking bags of flour sixty feet high. Whatever you want to carry, this can carry.

Of course if that wasn't the intent, hard numbers would be great.

Comment

You're right that I'm being too cute with the duration. It lasts a day.

This spell is a little weak compared to Stormwind Rider because I've gently nerfed Stormwind Rider in my home game with the consent of the GM.

As for weight... It can carry essentially everything. You could build a small comfortable house out of stone and cement, or a very large comfortable house out of timber, and have the grass of palms tote you and your house and all your stuff down the road at a brisk walk.

As for the radius, 'everything within short range' might be a bit too vague. I imagined it being like a forty foot radius, not fifteen!

Comment

Originally posted by Kukla View Post
              As for weight... It can carry essentially everything. You could build a small comfortable house out of stone and cement, or a very large comfortable house out of timber, and have the grass of palms tote you and your house and all your stuff down the road at a brisk walk.

As for the radius, 'everything within short range' might be a bit too vague. I imagined it being like a forty foot radius, not fifteen!
              A 40 foot radius circle is 5027 square feet.

If it can carry 10,000,000 pounds (5,000 tons), then 4mph speed is probably fine.

(An average American house is 2500 square feet. A one story house with a concrete foundation weights (very approximately) 200 pounds per square foot. 350 pounds for a three story house. 2000 pounds per square foot over 5000 square feet is carrying a very large ten-story mansion of stone. I like it. I really like it.)
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-08-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

...Yeah, if the hand patch as a whole can carry a Nexus apartment building then drop all the numbers and just say that.

Comment

Really like this. Seems very fitting for a Mnemon to use it to set big blocks into place during some sort of massive pyramid-esque construction project...

Comment

I could be cute and suppose that dense material stacked very high is at risk of becoming unbalanced and tip over to crush people, but I think it's in the spirit of things to just assume that hands at the margins can stretch up and over to brace it from the sides.

Maybe they even get inside of a building to prevent the ceiling from caving in.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Sounds handy.

Comment

I really like this spell and want to let my players have access to this. However I post all of the homebrew I let my players use on an Obsidian Portal game where I am building my own alt setting for exalted, which is where I would put this spell, in theory. I wanted to ask if you were ok with this and how you would want it noted if so. I will provide a link if you wish to look it over, although I admit I am hesitant to do so, as the last time I shared anything in this forum I was flamed off the site for several years and this is my first real attempt back.

Comment

Lupislacertus, by the power vested in me as the originator of this content by the copy-right laws of the U.S. Congress, I grant you a non-exclusive license to reproduce this material and derivative works of this material for all non-commercial personal use, indefinitely, insofar as so doing does not conflict with my own right to continue to reproduce this material for my own personal and commercial use.

Comment

Thank you much.

Comment

A revision of Grass of Palms. In addition to a pile of the kind of pedantic clarifications that inexplicably bring me joy, I tweaked the control spell benefit slightly and found a more elegant way to phrase how the hands work together to pick up preposterously heavy burdens - or, in the case of someone else's house, why they probably cannot pick up that burden.

Road of Hands

Cost: 15sm, 1wp
                              Keywords: None
                              Duration: One day

The caster casts his will like seeds upon the ground, and soft hands of green and ashy shadow reach up from it. These hands form a carpet that spreads across the earth or floor and carries great weights at a steady pace.

When the spell is cast, the hands spread out to cover the ground within short range (~40ft) of the caster. At the caster's behest, they will pick up anything or anyone that allow it, and carry it to where-ever the caster wishes by passing it from hand to hand at about 4 mph. The ride is very smooth for cargo and passengers alike.

The hands can carry almost anything by working together. Every square foot of surface produces four ghostly hands. Each hand can comfortably carry five hundred pounds, which does not pass to the ground. The hands may stretch at most a yard from the surface where they appear.

The hands cannot pick up structures rooted to the ground; they appear on the floor of the structure, and they cannot lift the surface they arise from. This has not stopped sorcerers from devising elaborate portable homes designed to be carried on the road of hands.

Whenever the caster moves, new hands appear on surfaces that come within range. Hands out of range sink smoothly in to the earth and vanish. If the caster travels faster than the palms can pass cargo, then they set it down gently upon the ground as they vanish.

The hands are not an obstacle; they're insubstantial fog to everything they are not carrying.

The hands will appear on very steep slopes, but not ceilings or vertical walls. They do not appear on the surface of water or other liquids.

The hands catch the sorcerer if he lands on them, reducing damage as though he had fallen one range category less.

Control Spell Benefit: "Sticky Palms." The road of hands appears on vertical walls and ceilings as well. They can pass the caster and his possessions along ceilings or walls. The caster may command the hands to restrain anyone within reach; this is a Grapple gambit aimed with Wits+Occult, with a Control roll of 5+Occult. If the gambit succeeds, the hands maintain the grapple independently without the caster needing to micromanage, but they will only Restrain/Drag their victim, never Savage or Throw.

Distortion (Goal Number 20): Instead of picking up whatever the caster commands and putting it where he desires, the hands pick up everything that holds still for them and carry it away from the caster to the edge of their reach and unceremoniously drop it.

Comment

Working...
                              X