No announcement yet.

New Terrestrial Spell - Grass Of Palms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds of that movie in which David Bowie is a troll king.

Comment

Another, alternative control spell benefit.

Control Spell Benefit: "Helping Hands."
      The road of hands are, collectively, as smart as a donkey. The caster may command a road of hands carrying his mobile home to continue down a path as long as it's safe, then sleep for the night, rightly confident that the hands will follow the twists and turns of the road and jiggle him awake if anything untoward happens.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
        Reminds of that movie in which David Bowie is a troll king.
        Goblin King, Goblin King! Take this light-hero away from me!

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I'd try and be more compact in the description. "Extends out to <range band or fixed measurement> and can lift several tons of cargo, automatically succeeding at STR 7 feats to lift and move it along the spell's area" should suffice as far as the dimensions and carrying capacity matter. Or something like it. Going through the hoops to measure any individual hand's lift or translating that to cargo density will fly over the heads of almost anyone and doesn't really matter for what this spell tries to do.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

The strength chart doesn’t go up to “house” so I wouldn’t reference feats of strength at all, just say what the biggest and heaviest thing the spell can carry is.

Comment

Lift a Yeddim is, like, 44,000 lb and the top Feat of Strength at 10+. Which is considerably less than this spell as written can lift.

Even descriptive, lift a house is (approximately) 400,000 lb -- almost an order of magnitude more. Spell as written can lift over twice that. Nearly three times as much.

It's arguably more wordy, but you could say it succeeds at all Feats of Strength to lift and carry, upto the weight of a stone house. You might still get weird edge cases.

I think the current write up is fine. It says exactly what the spell can and can't carry, and it includes the math for those interested.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I just love math, y'know? I love quantifying things.

Comment

Love this spell - I think I have a few ideas on how to use or abuse it in my current game for an NPC sorceress my players keep safe/annoy the hell out of.

And the ability to control it like a trained donkey seems perfectly fitting. Love the idea of a sorcerer with a "mobile home" that is just picked up and sat down whenever.

...how do the shadow hands handle passing over water? Can they cross a river? Would they simply "walk" down into the water and along the river bottom? Do they float above the water?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
                    Love this spell - I think I have a few ideas on how to use or abuse it in my current game for an NPC sorceress my players keep safe/annoy the hell out of.
                    Excellent.

And the ability to control it like a trained donkey seems perfectly fitting. Love the idea of a sorcerer with a "mobile home" that is just picked up and sat down whenever.
                    The best bit is when you outsource control of the hands to a driver who steers while you nap because you can do that with a donkey.

...how do the shadow hands handle passing over water? Can they cross a river? Would they simply "walk" down into the water and along the river bottom? Do they float above the water?
                    They walk down in to the water and along the river bottom. This is not a substitute for a bridge, unfortunately. But if the river is no deeper than a yard, the hands could stretch just out of the water and ferry you across the surface.

Comment

awesome! this'll make for some hilarious hijinks when my players show up to where they "know" the sorcerers lives and just finds and empty lot

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Working...
                      X