Dumb Hearthstone question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Hearthstone question

Do hearthstones have to be socketed in something or could you walk around with it in your hand and get the same effect? Obviously, it wouldn't be as safe or convenient.

Depends on the hearthstone. Any hearthstone that says it has to be socketed in an attuned artifact to give a particular benefit, well, has to be socketed in an attuned artifact to give that benefit. The same applies to the count-as-in-the-manse benefit, that requires the hearthstone be socketed in an attuned artifact.
    But many hearthstones have a utility feature that does just work even if in your hand or pocket.

Comment

Can Hearthstone Amulet (Tiara, Bracer, etc.) hold more than one hearthstone?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredo View Post
        The writeup in the core book uses strictly singular language ("a socket", "an attuned hearthstone"). I'd interpret that to mean that you only get one socket per, so need another amulet for each additional socket.
        But I also think it'd be entirely reasonable to get a three-dot version with a bunch more sockets, and some fringe benefits or evocations.
        Last edited by vwllss trnt prncss; 03-08-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing generally not, as the text suggests they're single-slotted, but allowing two (e.g. with paired bracers) doesn't seem too broke to me -- you could say that's three-dot and it wouldn't be unreasonable, but at that point you could just get Beloved Adorei and have three sockets and a daiklave.
          Last edited by Gayo; 03-08-2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I would absolutely allow two hearthstone sockets on a two-dot artifact that does nothing else.

You could look to 2E's Hearthstone Bracers (and Perfected Kata Bracers) if you wanted to make a 3+-dot artifact with Evocations.
            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-09-2021, 01:49 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
              You could look to 2E's Hearthstone Bracers (and Perfected Kata Bracers) if you wanted to make a 3-dot artifact with Evocations.
              Do you remember which book those are in?

Comment

Frankly I think amulets and bracers should do something to warrant costing 2 dots anyway.

Comment

Do you remember which book those are in?
                  Hearthstone Bracers are in the 2E Core. They make your attacks better.
                  Perfected Kata Bracers are in Oadenol's Codex. They make your Martial Arts attacks much better.

It'd take some work to translate either to the 3E paradigm, but as a starting point (literally just off the top of my head -- this is a concept idea, not a finished idea) you could have something like...

Perfected Bracers - 3 Dot Artifact

Attunement: 5m
                  Hearthstone slots: 2

Whilst in a Martial Arts Form, your form weapon attacks (but not unarmed martial arts attacks) use the traits of an Artifact weapon.

Evocation 1 - The bracers are Exceptional Equipment for Feats of Demolition or teaching Martial Arts you have mastered (know to Form Charm)
                  Evocation 2 - The bracers upgrade your unarmed martial arts attacks to the artifact statline so long as you are only using the martial art of the Form you are in
                  Evocation 3 - Gain 1WP when you enter a MA Form reflexively
                  Evocation 4 - Reflexively Draw/Ready a MA weapon when you enter its Form
                  Evocation 5 - The bracers upgrade all your unarmed martial arts attacks to the artifact statline so long as you are in any MA Form
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 03-09-2021, 02:00 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Interesting idea. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X