Combat Tweak for using BG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Tweak for using BG

So in our group's fights, the ST has been throwing a lot of BG at our party. These are annoying primarily because of how initiative works.

You can't gain initiative directly from attacking a Battle Group unless you drop their size by a level. This creates two issues: first, it makes it very difficult to build initiative using the normal methods which restricts the use of gambits, decisive attacks, and any charms/powers that rely on initiative. Plus it makes it more dangerous to fight battle groups since they reduce initiative before dealing direct damage once you're crashed. Second, it opens the door for "kill stealing" type of play. An example of this was last combat, myself and the other main combat character were attacking the same BG target. Every bloody time I attacked, gaining nothing and then immediately afterwards, the other character attacked, did enough damage to reduce the BG one size category and immediately received the initiative boost while I got nothing. This was not intentional, this was purely a result of how the combat progressed.

So I propose a simple tweak to eliminate both problems: Every time a Battle Group loses a size category everyone on the opposing side gets the initiative boost.

If that's too broad for people, I could also see everyone who has done magnitude damage to the BG in that combat gets the boost, though this is obviously more work to track who has attacked which group.

Thoughts?

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Battle groups have many issues that compound into major ones. What you posted is only such issue. You can give everyone a break bonus, but this'll go one of two ways:
    1. It'll be a bandaid on a gaping wound as BG's deal so much damage
    2. It'll give a flood of initiative, resulting in some really swingy combat.
    I posted some fixes for them a year back. I've been using them in my game and they've held up fairly decently. Also contained within are my thoughts on BG's.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...up-revamp-v0-1

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Another solution might just be to award characters initiative equal to the magnitude damage they inflict. Just like attacking a normal target.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
        Another solution might just be to award characters initiative equal to the magnitude damage they inflict. Just like attacking a normal target.
        This is probably a better fast fix. You don’t want battlegroups to start being more detrimental to bring than beneficial. If you bring a battlegroup of a size 5 army and the Dawn whirlwinds it down 4 sizes in round 1, giving the whole circle +100 initiative then the fight ends up being radically easier for the PCs than it would be if they weren’t fighting a huge army.

I’d also suggest only granting it for withering attacks against the BG. Decisive attacks against battlegroups already ignore soak and gain free damage levels, they don’t need to also grant a bunch of initiative.

Comment

Edit -- no, wait, I knew that already. Don't mind me.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Working...
          X