No announcement yet.

Writing prompts to help players get into their characters’ day-to-day headspace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing prompts to help players get into their characters’ day-to-day headspace

• What is your morning routine at home? Abroad/adventuring? What is your bedtime routine at home and abroad?
    • Do you want a romantic life partner? What about kids?
    • What is the story behind your biggest/smallest/most interesting scar?
    • You’re buying a pair of boots and the merchant quotes you 5 gp. Describe your haggling style and the debate that ensues.
    • Look in the mirror. What is your favorite feature? How do you play it up? What are you most dissatisfied with? What have you done to change or hide it? What kinds of permanent body modifications (tattoos/piercings/scarification) have you done? What kinds of temporary body mods (hair cut or dye). Which is your favorite? Which did you regret?
    • Describe the stupidest fight/argument you ever had with a sibling.
    • What’s your creative outlet (e.g. music, dance, drawing, poetry, drumming, fiber art, cooking, heraldry, armor design, floral arrangement)? Is it something traditional or typical to your race/class? Is it traditional or typical to another race/class? How did you come to learn it?
    • Do you have a favorite vice (e.g. pipeweed, alcohol, sex, breath mints, psychedelics, music/dance)?
    • What do you do when you’re bored? Whistle/hum? Tap your foot? Chew on a blade of grass? Carry a coin across your knuckles? Meditate? People-watch? Doodle? Where or from whom did you pick up this habit? Describe your memory of being taught or learning it.
    • What’s a physical remnant of the past that you carry with you now?
    • What kind of jewelry do you like? (Metals, gemstones, items, magicked/blessed/not, styles, particular designers or craftsmen or traders…)
    • Favored sleeping position.
    • Who taught you to fight? What was your first weapon?

Are we supposed to suggest writing prompts here, or respond to them?

​(Also you might want to tweak the haggling-boots one; the Realm uses its jade-based currency, and the Guild mints silver coins, but "gold pieces" aren't so much a thing.)

He/him

Comment

I mean, the whole Race/Class thing is very D&D copy-paste.

But I'm at my midweek low so... why not?

Tepet Cynis Ganan RY770
      • What is your morning routine at home? Abroad/adventuring? What is your bedtime routine at home and abroad?
      Where is home? I haven't spent a night in my wife's new residence since we moved in over a year ago. I suppose it's the standard: be woken by the servants at sunrise with a breakfast of cold meats and fresh water, invoke the Essence of the world to turn my skin to invulnerable bronze, and allow them to dress me for the day ahead. At the end of the day, I strip myself and leave the clothes to be taken away (I'm not entirely sure where the clothes are taken to), and read in bed until my wife joins me. Unless, of course, I am in the middle of a project: then the indefatigable energies of the Earth Dragon sustain me.

Whilst on campaign and during my (I suppose you would call them) "adventures" in the Threshold, I've taken to not stripping at night. My enchanted necklace of purifying pearls keeps me fresh and presentable: not having to dress and undress every day saves cruical time.
      • Do you want a romantic life partner? What about kids?
      I have a romantic life partner. And romantic partners. Whether I want them or not is a complicated question -- certainly my life would be more straight-forward and productive without them.

I am proud of my children and no doubt I will be proud of my grandchild when I first meet him.
      • What is the story behind your biggest/smallest/most interesting scar?
      The Exalted are hard to scar. (My emotional scars aren't worth discussing.)
      • You’re buying a pair of boots and the merchant quotes you 5 gp. Describe your haggling style and the debate that ensues.
      I'm not familiar with the concept of "haggling". Send the bill to my house, I'm sure someone will find some gold for you.
      • Look in the mirror. What is your favorite feature? How do you play it up? What are you most dissatisfied with? What have you done to change or hide it? What kinds of permanent body modifications (tattoos/piercings/scarification) have you done? What kinds of temporary body mods (hair cut or dye). Which is your favorite? Which did you regret?
      My favorite features are not obvious in a mirror. I suppose I look fine enough and if you're forcing me into this vanity, then my favorite physical feature is the piercing blue of my eyes: a characteristic my children have inherited.

My wife tattooed her name across my chest. Personally, I am indifferent, but it makes her happy. My mastery of sorcery has forever altered my skin.

I suppose my favorite temporary body modification is turning my skin to bronze - as I do that every morning.
      • Describe the stupidest fight/argument you ever had with a sibling.
      Every word I have ever spoken to my sister, Cynis Falen Jinabar, feels like the stupidest thing I have ever said. I suppose the thing that sticks out is when she started courting my ex-boyfriend at my wedding.
      • What’s your creative outlet (e.g. music, dance, drawing, poetry, drumming, fiber art, cooking, heraldry, armor design, floral arrangement)? Is it something traditional or typical to your race/class? Is it traditional or typical to another race/class? How did you come to learn it?
      I like the practical arts. By vocation, I study the architecture of our ancestors -- being able to apply those lessons in practical life is deeply satisying. It is traditional, of course, for Earth Aspects to be builders.

I've also found it relaxing to play the flute, though my skill is somewhat lacking and once the last note has died there is nothing to show for the endeavor. I can't explain why such a pointless exercise should give me peace, but it does.
      • Do you have a favorite vice (e.g. pipeweed, alcohol, sex, breath mints, psychedelics, music/dance)?
      Sex.
      • What do you do when you’re bored? Whistle/hum? Tap your foot? Chew on a blade of grass? Carry a coin across your knuckles? Meditate? People-watch? Doodle? Where or from whom did you pick up this habit? Describe your memory of being taught or learning it.
      Only boring people get bored. If I have free time, I make something of use.

I suppose it dates back to childhood -- I had a scheduled life and had to take my leasure where I could find it. I'm not a fan of idleness: I am a man of action.
      • What’s a physical remnant of the past that you carry with you now?
      I carry my tetsubo with me. It's a practical tool and a deadly weapon, yes. But it is also a reminder to never let myself be vulnerable again.
      • What kind of jewelry do you like? (Metals, gemstones, items, magicked/blessed/not, styles, particular designers or craftsmen or traders…)
      For myself I prefer practical adornment. My enchanted necklace. My mirrored bracers.

I will wear baubles to enhance my looks if it is neccessary, but such items must be of the highest quality to match my flawless physical perfection.

Reya and I both wear rings as a sign of our marriage bond.
      • Favored sleeping position.
      Big spoon.
      • Who taught you to fight? What was your first weapon?

I had many tutors, but my first meaningful instruction came from my mother, who taught me to fight with staff and javelin. Inferior weapons, happily consigned to an inexperienced past.

What's your favorite meal? Can you remember the first time you had it? How often do you have it these days?

How do you wear your hair and who styles it for you?

Do you have a "tell" when you're lying/bluffing? Do other people know what it is?

Would you say you have a catch-phrase or is there a particular expression you are known for?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Are we supposed to suggest writing prompts here, or respond to them?

​(Also you might want to tweak the haggling-boots one; the Realm uses its jade-based currency, and the Guild mints silver coins, but "gold pieces" aren't so much a thing.)
        Respond to them

Comment

Working...
        X