Exalted Essence in Onyx Podcast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Essence in Onyx Podcast

In case folks missed it, the Onyx Pathcast did a deep dive into Exalted Essence with its developers. Some of it might be retread of what we know for some folks, but htere's some pretty cool things in there including new stuff about some of the contents fo the book's setting chapter, a go-over more in-depth on all the Exalted, including some not as talked about before, and a general meta on why, what, and how it is and came about.
    http://theonyxpath.com/episode-154-e...nce-deep-dive/

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Thanks, that's now in my podcast queue.

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game.

Comment

Oh, neat stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I am listening to it, and let me say something: I am all for having a simpler system for player exalted, but I don't want to make all exalted types have the same power level.

Is there a simple way to recreate the usual power gradient between exalted types?

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
          I am listening to it, and let me say something: I am all for having a simpler system for player exalted, but I don't want to make all exalted types have the same power level.

Is there a simple way to recreate the usual power gradient between exalted types?
          Until we have a more complete picture of the rules, I don't think there's currently any such suggestion. ANd it also depends greatly on how much of the gradient you want to be there. Remember that as they note, there is some areas that Exalts are stornger and Solars are pretty upfront the most strategically capable ones as per the podcast.

And stuff.

Comment

Sorry, I thought there would be playtesters, I saw that there was a lot of discussion about Essence, I didn't keep up.

Enough to make them a credible menace to the age, I think. That depends on what is strategic, are they the Military General Exalted types now?

Comment

Sorry, I thought there would be playtesters, I saw that there was a lot of discussion about Essence, I didn't keep up.
              This is mostly about the podcast recently. So more info can be found there, including what their goals on power are.

Enough to make them a credible menace to the age, I think. ...
              They can do this without having other Exalts pay more xp for worse Charms. Especially in the case where in 3e to start and Essence for sure, most NPCs are not fully-statted characters using PC rules, so are as powerful or not as needed for the game.

Solars are more a threat due to individual capabilities, competence, and unique things that they can do that others can't easily or quickly. There's more to power than just indivdiual combat prowess. ANd in this case Solars I thinks till are strongest?

They're also a threat in the current age since isntead of like ten reincarnating every few years, there's nearly three hundred of them and thier derivitives aorund while the main polity that kept Anathema in check is about to go to civil war. There's a lot that can make Solars upending powers without that.

... That depends on what is strategic, are they the Military General Exalted types now?
              Strategic in a game systems sense, not in-setting military sense. Solars have more broad options to approach things than other Exalts. Their Advantages, Modes, and Charms tend to be more consistently applicable, while they have the broadest access to "shared" stuff like sorcery, necromancy, martial arts, and Evocations.

Strategies are ways you achieve your goals in something. Solars have by their braod applicablity of power more strategic options than other Exalts due to general comptence of execution.

And stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                This is mostly about the podcast recently. So more info can be found there, including what their goals on power are.

They can do this without having other Exalts pay more xp for worse Charms. Especially in the case where in 3e to start and Essence for sure, most NPCs are not fully-statted characters using PC rules, so are as powerful or not as needed for the game.

Solars are more a threat due to individual capabilities, competence, and unique things that they can do that others can't easily or quickly. There's more to power than just indivdiual combat prowess. ANd in this case Solars I thinks till are strongest?

They're also a threat in the current age since isntead of like ten reincarnating every few years, there's nearly three hundred of them and thier derivitives aorund while the main polity that kept Anathema in check is about to go to civil war. There's a lot that can make Solars upending powers without that.
                I don't want to thread-dump any more to make this a discussion of the validity of what I said. I just would like to know if there was a way to make to way *I* think it's better, for my own motives.

Strategic in a game systems sense, not in-setting military sense. Solars have more broad options to approach things than other Exalts. Their Advantages, Modes, and Charms tend to be more consistently applicable, while they have the broadest access to "shared" stuff like sorcery, necromancy, martial arts, and Evocations.

Strategies are ways you achieve your goals in something. Solars have by their braod applicablity of power more strategic options than other Exalts due to general comptence of execution.
                So not strategic in as a 'nuke', strategic in as an all-terrain vehicle.

Comment

I don't want to thread-dump any more to make this a discussion of the validity of what I said. I just would like to know if there was a way to make to way *I* think it's better, for my own motives.
                  Dunno. It's not the goal of the writers, so you'll have to see what hte final product is and make that decison/start a thread likely on the topic when we have more to work on than the hints so far.

And stuff.

Comment

Great podcast! Thanks for sharing buddy

Comment

Listening to this episode did NOT help my overly excited impatience.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

If I understand correctly one of Solars’ Advantages is literally “Free full excellencies on everything” which is WHOAH as far as staying on top of the heap goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                          If I understand correctly one of Solars’ Advantages is literally “Free full excellencies on everything” which is WHOAH as far as staying on top of the heap goes.
                          Excellencies that they have, yeah, but thus far I dunno that we've seen enough to know whether Solars are back to buying excellencies or what.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post

Excellencies that they have, yeah, but thus far I dunno that we've seen enough to know whether Solars are back to buying excellencies or what.
                            Solars still have to buy Excellencies post-chargen (or pick them up when they rise in Essence). It's also worth noting that they don't pay for the Charm invocation of an Excellency, but they still must invoke it; if they want to use another Charm on Step 1 instead, they have to choose between that and their Excellency.

But yeah - in their areas of competence Solars consistently have a dice advantage that they get totally free, all the time. And if you manage to tie with them, they win, even if you're the defender.

Abyssals and Infernals both have Advantages that give them either a once-per-scene refresh on motes or a bonus to mote regeneration when they do certain things, which roughly maths out to "what you'd get for not having to pay for those Excellencies you're throwing around". Parity between Solars and Solar-derivatives was still a big thing.

Neall Raemonn Price
                            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

At last! I'm happy for this podcast!

Soon... the GIBBENNING WILL BE AT HAND!

Comment

Working...
                              X