Where to stage a fight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to stage a fight

I'm staging a martial arts tournament in my game. There are going to be three rounds. I am intending on setting one round in a web of vines and rope bridges strung between two parallel cliff faces. I'd naturally have the area rife with dangerous snakes.

My intention for another round of the competition is to set the fight on a ship that is both sinking and on fire.

The first round, on the other hand, I'd planned to have in a conventional ring. A simple contest of skill. Yet now I'm having second thoughts on this. I'm suspecting that I'm passing up an opportunity for my players to be even more awesome.

I'm looking for a location to set a duel or two that has more fun stuff for the PCs to stunt with.. Would you have any ideas to suggest?

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game.

I would put it in an area with a lot of manses or demenses. An air manse that has solidifies panes of air hovering in air. A water demense that has evershifting corridors of mirrors. On the slopes of a volcanomanse, dodging burning boulders and streams of lava. An abyssal manse that is slowly filling with a miasma deadly enough to kill even the exalted, making it a race against time as they climb upwards in a death spire trying to push the opponent down, maybe culminating in a duel on a tightrope over the coiling black murdershroud.
    Maybe some real weird stuff in a starmanse (with mars imagery of course) that broadcasts the fight to the surroundings in visions. But can't come up with much to make the fight any more interesting.

Comment

In a cornfield.

Against an opponent with excellent hearing, Stealth Charms, and Hungry Ghost Style.

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

My wife is on Spotify!

Comment

I once had a large tournament take place in a campaign. The tournament had a ton of participants, so the first round was designed to winnow participants down. It took place in a massive wooden labyrinth with traps, trap doors and the like. There was no ceiling and the crowd was sitting in bleachers along the sides with a few VIPs sitting on floating clouds.

The fighters all went through different entrances and would end up running into one another. Meanwhile the crowd could see most of the actionand where people were and would scream out advice or suggestions to the fighters, but this could be good advice or bad advice, and there were so many people screaming it was hard to pinpoint a specific allies words.

So you'd have people yelling at you telling you there's a trap up ahead because a big beefy bruiser is coming up behind you and they want to hold you up to see you two fight. But you'd also hear other people telling you there's no trap and to run. And then you have people screaming contradictory things at the bruiser and everyone else, and course when someone would die the crowd would all just all go ballistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Apromor View Post
          I am intending on setting one round in a web of vines and rope bridges strung between two parallel cliff faces. I'd naturally have the area rife with dangerous snakes.
          The battle will be LEGENDARY!

Originally posted by Apromor View Post
          My intention for another round of the competition is to set the fight on a ship that is both sinking and on fire.
          Also good.

I like the classic of an errupting volcano. Poisonous fumes, dust limiting visibility, lava hazards, high ground. Bonus points for hovering First Age mining equipment so you can leap from floating platform to floating platform.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Well, you've got fire, water, and air stages already, so you just need wood and earth.

For earth, how about a mudslide where the combatants have to ride boulders getting dragged along?

And for wood, maybe take a page from slovorg and have the stage be a giant tree, with toxic mist slowly rising to engulf the fighters?

Comment

If you want a simpler but themed arena. A small sealed stone room with the walls gradually closing in. People can watch via magic or some kind or strong but transparent ceiling (magic glass?).

Or an underground arena which pillars, stalagmites and stalactites. Chances to hide, bash people until things and to bring down sections of spiky ceiling onto your opponent.

Comment

If you want a simpler but themed arena. A small sealed stone room with the walls gradually closing in. People can watch via magic or some kind or strong but transparent ceiling (magic glass?).

Or an underground arena which pillars, stalagmites and stalactites. Chances to hide, bash people until things and to bring down sections of spiky ceiling onto your opponent.

Comment

Working...
                X