Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Occult Revamp

The Solar Occult Revamp is now done.

In terms of the Occult ability, I’ve expanded on it a bit. Base Occult can do things such as facts, Wards, Exorcism, some basic geomancy tricks, and more. Occult needed an expansion on things to do that were not directly sorcery and the GET tree. With the additions I’ve added, Occult should feel a little more fleshed out as an ability now.

Charms took not only a massive streamlining but a ton of brand-new effects as well. I’ve not only included charms that take advantage of some of the new features to Occult I added, but healthy dose of new charms. From fusing one’s soul with a spiritual familiar to learning charms that directly buff sorcery, I think Occult supernals will be happy with their ability rather than sad that they can’t get Solar Circle Sorcery immediately.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...BPCR8TNYo/edit

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Spirit-Manifesting Word says "Spirits affected by this may not dematerialize for the remainder of the scene or pay one willpower to resist this charm." Should that be "unless they pay one Willpower..." etc.?

I see that Material Exegesis Prana forces open the entrances to spirit sanctums, so that's nice. It's something Solars were missing. (It feels a little odd to have it just be a side effect of the primary "force all spirits nearby to materialize" effect, but I guess just sneaking past the doorway of a sanctum might be more of a Larceny effect than Occult anyway? I've thought about this before and never really came to a conclusion on which Ability made more sense.)

I am not sure how I feel about Sorcerous Talent Mastery. I think something like this should exist, but it's hard to figure the balance of it, simply because some control spell benefits are so much better than others. My inclination is that potentially getting eight new control spell benefits for one Charm is a bit much, but maybe I'm overly cautious.

I do very much appreciate seeing more Charms that actually help with sorcery, in general. I always found it bizarre that there weren't a few more dice tricks in Occult given how tough high-end sorcery can be. I'm surprised you didn't include a Charm that reduces the time required to make each working roll, though.

Divine Arcane Revelation makes me twitchy since the corebook presented sorcerous workings as something you can't just undo like that, but Death at the Root already opened that door, and if an axe can do it there's no reason the strongest sorcerers among the Exalted shouldn't be able to duplicate the feat.

I notice Dark-Minder's Observances is mentioned in your outline at the bottom, but I don't see any Charms (or anything else) related to thaumaturgy. Did you just decide that a Charm giving the Solar a bunch of free rituals for cheap was a bad idea?

Either way this is excellent work and I appreciate all the effort you put into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
      Spirit-Manifesting Word says "Spirits affected by this may not dematerialize for the remainder of the scene or pay one willpower to resist this charm." Should that be "unless they pay one Willpower..." etc.?
      Thanks, I fixed that.

I see that Material Exegesis Prana forces open the entrances to spirit sanctums, so that's nice. It's something Solars were missing. (It feels a little odd to have it just be a side effect of the primary "force all spirits nearby to materialize" effect, but I guess just sneaking past the doorway of a sanctum might be more of a Larceny effect than Occult anyway? I've thought about this before and never really came to a conclusion on which Ability made more sense.)
      Just having a single charm that said "Force open sanctums" seemed a bit too specific for me. So I instead made it tagged to the charm materializes everything within range. It was just a logical application of a charm.

I am not sure how I feel about Sorcerous Talent Mastery. I think something like this should exist, but it's hard to figure the balance of it, simply because some control spell benefits are so much better than others. My inclination is that potentially getting eight new control spell benefits for one Charm is a bit much, but maybe I'm overly cautious.
      I could make it purchase one for Terrestrial charms, once for Celestial, and once for Solar. My concern is if getting an extra control effect for a Solar circle charm is worth 8 XP or not. Yea Solar circle spells are strong, but it's a hard see to me. We don't have many Solar circle spells to use, so it's hard to balance.

I do very much appreciate seeing more Charms that actually help with sorcery, in general. I always found it bizarre that there weren't a few more dice tricks in Occult given how tough high-end sorcery can be. I'm surprised you didn't include a Charm that reduces the time required to make each working roll, though.
      Solar's getting extras with spells is something they ought to have. I feel people often try to justify Lunars having them while Solar's don't, when in reality there's exactly zero reason for this, especially when 2e had them ala Magic-Shattering Strike.

As for the interval acceleration, that is a good point. I didn't think about that exactly. I assumed the standard interval was fine for the moment.

Divine Arcane Revelation makes me twitchy since the corebook presented sorcerous workings as something you can't just undo like that, but Death at the Root already opened that door, and if an axe can do it there's no reason the strongest sorcerers among the Exalted shouldn't be able to duplicate the feat.
      I personally think workings should be undone by other workings, so I saw no problem with the Lunar charm. The Solar version allows breaking Celestial level workings, but it's locked behind a Supernal-no charm at Essence 5. I think if you get to Essence 5 something like that should be possible.

I notice Dark-Minder's Observances is mentioned in your outline at the bottom, but I don't see any Charms (or anything else) related to thaumaturgy. Did you just decide that a Charm giving the Solar a bunch of free rituals for cheap was a bad idea?
      Na you can throw it in. Honestly, I left it out because I wanted to remake thaumaturgy down the line. I'd revisit that charm when the time comes.

Either way this is excellent work and I appreciate all the effort you put into this.
      Thanks mate, I'm glad you like it.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
      Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Honestly, I think Supernal Talent Mastery is fine as is. Frankly, none of the Solar spell control benefits are worth 8 xp by themselves, and you still need to buy 9 spells to get the max benefit from the charm. That is 72xp minimum, not counting CCS and SCS. Even allowing the full 5+4 xp power session, that’s 8 full sessions worth of xp.

Comment

Originally posted by GhanjRho View Post
          Honestly, I think Supernal Talent Mastery is fine as is. Frankly, none of the Solar spell control benefits are worth 8 xp by themselves, and you still need to buy 9 spells to get the max benefit from the charm. That is 72xp minimum, not counting CCS and SCS. Even allowing the full 5+4 xp power session, that’s 8 full sessions worth of xp.
          I think so too buddy. You're absolutely right

Comment

Originally posted by GhanjRho View Post
            I think so too buddy. You're absolutely right

Comment

Working...
            X