Essence KS 27th May '21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
    Playable Umbrals but antagonist-only Hearteaters is the height of cowardice!

(I'm kidding, but playable Hearteaters would have been cool.)

I assume there going to put a sidebar in theirs section going yeah go for it if you want them to be playable just make sure to go over it with the group and make sure everyone's characters are alright with it as Heareater powers are required to be extremely antagonistic even compared to other exalt types.

Comment

• Originally posted by reaperfrost8 View Post

I assume there going to put a sidebar in theirs section going yeah go for it if you want them to be playable just make sure to go over it with the group and make sure everyone's characters are alright with it as Heareater powers are required to be extremely antagonistic even compared to other exalt types.
      Yeah, Hearteaters touch on a lot of uncomfortable things, definetly something to talk of lines and veils if you want to include them.

Comment

• Almost all the protagonist “Hearteaters” I can think of in fiction have the same theme of guilt ridden and resisting the temptation of their powers to solve their problems. That’s not a bad story of course, but it’s a pretty restrictive one for the non-villains of an entire splat.

The only major exception I can think of are the Confessors in the Sword of Truth series... but I think that has more to do with Terry Goodkind being weird and kinda creepy

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Just play them as anti heroes.

Yes, I am a monster. But we're fighting against an army of the dead who wants to kill you all.

Yes, I may have possessed these guys, but she ate a bunch of people's hearts to shape-shift into them.

Let me worry about how villainous the powers are. Just give me the mechanics.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post

Yeah, Hearteaters touch on a lot of uncomfortable things, definetly something to talk of lines and veils if you want to include them.
            Apparently like, one of the recent media examples of someone who is good Hearteater inspiraiton is Kilgrave from Jessica Jones. So yeah, you gotta go super careful on those guys as PCs IMHO.

And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
              Yes, I am a monster. But we're fighting against an army of the dead who wants to kill you all.
              You can even play the guy at the head of that genocidal undead army!

Comment

• Well, a lot of the Hearteater territory seems to cover some of the core villanous identity of manipulative masterminds. When Killer B.O.B, Kilgrave, All for One feel like the most natural forms of Hearteaters, it is easy to understand why they are not "hero material"- but on the other hand, Abyssals, Infernals and even Lunars could all be very monstrous, so covering the archetype does not immediately makes them into "irredeemable villains". A lot about how heroic the Hearteater can actually be depends on how much control do they have over creating Pawns- if anyone they have some Intimacy towards, for example, is doomed to become a Pawn, it will be very hard to play a heroic Hearteater. If they have more control, however, playing a Hearteater which takes over those people they deem as worse than them could allow them to be quit heroic, IMO. And even if the former is correct, it is possible to play "villains with redeeming qualities" as those who embrace their monstrosity and try to treat carefully when around those people they deem as "worthy to live", or even just see them as sacrifices which must be made for the greater good.

Sure, it does require some very thorough session zero discussion to make sure everyone are feeling comfortable with an Hearteater, and perhaps some ho0userules to make Circlemates immune into becoming Pawns ion case that other Exalts can be "hearteaten", but it is not that all "heroic Hearteaters" must be the same.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• For me at least, I'm kinda hoping Hearteaters can fill the "Alex Mercer from Prototype as an Exalted" niche that they explicitly removed from the Lunars. (If not, I can go always go with an Exigent of Han-Tha, but its nice to have an official, if non-canonical, write-up for things.)

Comment

• Originally posted by schizoPOP View Post
                    For me at least, I'm kinda hoping Hearteaters can fill the "Alex Mercer from Prototype as an Exalted" niche that they explicitly removed from the Lunars. (If not, I can go always go with an Exigent of Han-Tha, but its nice to have an official, if non-canonical, write-up for things.)
                    The Hearteater aesthetic we know of so far is like, crystals, opals, light, auroras, emotions, and so on. I think honestly that it might indeed be better to try the Exigent, since I think there's at least (to me) a pretty big aesthetic disconnect of Hearteasters and Prototype. The latter is a lot more...meaty.

And stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

The Hearteater aesthetic we know of so far is like, crystals, opals, light, auroras, emotions, and so on. I think honestly that it might indeed be better to try the Exigent, since I think there's at least (to me) a pretty big aesthetic disconnect of Hearteasters and Prototype. The latter is a lot more...meaty.
                      They do seem to have a bit of Bones motif. (Corrupted using bones, imprisoned using bones, spread via bones)

Comment

• Originally posted by schizoPOP View Post

They do seem to have a bit of Bones motif. (Corrupted using bones, imprisoned using bones, spread via bones)
                        I've thought that the only bone motif was them having crystal bones through which the Exaltation could pass. Is there any more info I missed?

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• So, what are the chances that we get Exigents next? I hope we do. Or have they already announced something else as their kickstarter for july?

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizu View Post
                            So, what are the chances that we get Exigents next? I hope we do. Or have they already announced something else as their kickstarter for july?
                            They generally avoid Kickstarters for the same game lines one after the other because the same fan base is less likely to be able to immediately spend again.
                            Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-26-2021, 08:41 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

They generally avoid Kickstarter’s for the same game lines one after the other because the same fan base is less likely to be able to immediately spend again.

That is a sound business decision I have no reasonable argument against, unfortunately. Oh well, maybe 8 directions will drop in a month or two or something to scratch that exalted itch some more.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizu View Post
                                So, what are the chances that we get Exigents next? I hope we do. Or have they already announced something else as their kickstarter for july?
                                We know for a fact the next KS is Squeaks of the Deep for Pugmire. I think that there's also slated to be Trinity Continuum: Anima after that. Which would take up July through like, August/September. And this is assuming either launches like, next week.

That said, I believe Exigents is appraoching ready to be Kickstarted and they said in a recent stream that they do want to do Sidereals next year. So I woudln't be surprised of Exigents were the last KS of this year or one of the first next year from OPP.

If you're interested, this is the current upcomign products form the game thougH:
                                • Pre-Drafting Stages: Essence Stretchgoal stuff.
                                • First Draft: Exalted Essay Collection
                                • Redlines: Dragon-Blooded Novella #2
                                • Development: Adversaries of the Righteous
                                • Post-Approval Development: Exigents: Out of the Ashes, Many-Faced Strangers
                                • Editing: Exalted Essence, Crucible of Legends, Across the Eight Directions, Lunar Novella #1
                                • Art Direction: Exalted Essence Edition, Hundred Devils Night Parade
                                • Backer Preview: Heirs to the Shogunate
                                The tenative release schedule for Exalt Kickstarters, as a note is:
                                • Exigents (Next)
                                • Sidereals
                                • Abyssals
                                • Infernals
                                • Alchemicals
                                With Getimians and Liminals getting their own, non-Kickstarter books along with Sidereals and Abyssals respectively.

And stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X