Exalted: Essence Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted: Essence Kickstarter

I will use then this forum topic for discussing the parts of preview I read. I'm total newcomer to the game, only listening about Exalted few mentions in podcasts. Help me to understand Exalted and the Realm.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-07-2021, 10:00 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Why wait? Go ahead and start it today plz

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Exalted Essence Kickstarter page

I will use then this forum topic for discussing the parts of preview I read. I'm total newcomer to the game, only listening about Exalted few mentions in podcasts.

First section I read was introduction and Realms description. Is it only me, or whole Realm, as setting, is around the Scarlet Empress and her Dragon Blooded Dynasty? Or only it's condensed text form for it in Essence?
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-30-2021, 12:17 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Exalted Essence Kickstarter page

I will use then this forum topic for discussing the parts of preview I read. I'm total newcomer to the game, only listening about Exalted few mentions in podcasts.

First section I read was introduction and Realms description. Is it only me, or whole Realm, as setting, is around the Scarlet Empress and her Dragon Blooded Dynasty? Or only it's condensed text form for it in Essence?
        I mean, is it inaccurate to say that when you boil it down the Realm is mainly centered around her Redness and her squabbling brats?

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Yeah, the Realm is a symbol of Dragon Blooded dominance, founded by the Empress and expressed through the Houses. That's why the Empress going missing suddenly is what causes its collapse and kickstarts the Time of Tumult. That also helps to reinforce the Realm as the "evil empire" of the setting, as the Dragon Blooded view the Solars as Anathema, and them being the dominant power of Creation gives the Solars the sympathetic angle of the setting. So yeah, the Realm revolving around the Empress and her Dynasty is a core part of the setting, and there are a lot of individuals who would like to tear it and everything it represents down *cough*LUNARS*cough*

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

One of the main points of the Realm is that the Scarlet Empress built it to revolve around her. She is the linchpin in the machinery of an empire built to ensure that she will live forever in opulence. As a secondary effect, it will provide stability and protection for Creation, because she wants Chejop on her side, but that's not the actual reason the Realm exists.

But yeah, all the bureaucracy, the Houses, everything is set up to fight against each other, to compete eternally for the Scarlet Empress's favor or to wait for her to say which bureau gets to be in charge of this thing *this* week.

Her being gone means that the entire thing is going to collapse into anarchy and infighting, unless someone manages to stop it. And stopping it will involve convincing the vast majority of the DBs in the Realm to agree with the plan, so...good luck with that.

Comment

Also, it can be noted that the books focus on the political side of things, with the Scarlet Empress and the struggle for power. But the coming conflict will have consequences down to the practical operations on the ground, affecting soldiers, workers and farmers as their officers', employers' or protectors' allegiances change. Bringing that up as part of the play experience is a nice way of getting away from the grand politics of the empire, if you want to.
              Last edited by Weimann; 05-30-2021, 06:46 AM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Which Elemental Dragon is patron of Scarlet Dynasty? I cannot find it in 1st Preview.

LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  Which Elemental Dragon is patron of Scarlet Dynasty? I cannot find it in 1st Preview.
                  All of them. The Scarlet Empress has lived for thousands of years and her dynasty contains multigenerational lineages representing inheritances from all five of the elemental dragons. No one dragon is honored above the rest.

If you're asking what aspect the Scarlet Empress herself Exalted to, the books have typically avoided addressing this: it is just not the most relevant way to look at her and her legacy. (There is a second edition book that asserts her to be of the Earth Aspect, but maintaining second edition canonicity is not a priority with third edition.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post

All of them. The Scarlet Empress has lived for thousands of years and her dynasty contains multigenerational lineages representing inheritances from all five of the elemental dragons. No one dragon is honored above the rest.

If you're asking what aspect the Scarlet Empress herself Exalted to, the books have typically avoided addressing this: it is just not the most relevant way to look at her and her legacy. (There is a second edition book that asserts her to be of the Earth Aspect, but maintaining second edition canonicity is not a priority with third edition.)
                    It's interesting to note, that, from what i remember, her aspect is not someting generally known not only by players, but even within the setting, by the citizens of the Realm, or even members of the Dynasty. Some of her children may know, some Sids may know, but generally Her Redness is good at keeping as much of her history, powers and personal life a secret as possible. I mean, we don't even know her name - and it's entirely possible that in the settings, apart from those old enough to remember her before she assumed the throne, like Chejop Kejak, noone knows it.
                    Last edited by Astralporing; 06-07-2021, 07:08 AM.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                      an empire built to ensure that she will live forever in opulence.
                      For the sake of wyrdhamster's introduction, it should be noted that this interpretation is not definitive.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Astralporing View Post
                        Some of her children may know, some Sids may know, but generally Her Redness is good at keeping as much of her history, powers and personal life a secret as possible.
                        I think this can be overstated a bit. Most of her history is the history of the Realm itself, and to the extent that we consider an old world style monarch to have a personal life... it can be odd to present not openly sharing the details of a bit of private recreation during one's off hours as a show of secrecy, and the court culture of the Realm would often be aware of who she intimately associates with.

Originally posted by Astralporing
                        I mean, we don't even know her name - and it's entirely possible that in the settings, apart from those old enough to remember her before she assumed the throne, like Chejop Kejak, noone knows it.
                        And that kind of thing is just common to the kinds of monarchs the Empress is modelled off of. Perhaps even less extreme; it may be that nobody was ever executed for happening to write the personal name of the Empress (even without writing about her specifically) unabridged.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

For the sake of wyrdhamster's introduction, it should be noted that this interpretation is not definitive.
                          Indeed, achieving personal opulence is hardly difficult for any of the Exalted who wants it. The Realm is an example of something you see among mortal rulers in real history: an institution designed around an individual because that individual has a vision and believes they’re the only one who can run it properly. And for a time it works, but it proves unstable in the long run because it was never designed to function without them, much less to grow beyond them. A number of real-world empires have been wracked by succession crises because the founder put off the question of succession until it was too late. How much less a seemingly immortal god-empress?

Lots of people blend high-minded ideals with personal benefit, especially ruling elites. The Scarlet Empress formed the empire at a time when the world was falling apart, and she no doubt believed she was doing the right thing, but she also believed she couldn’t let go of it for others to spoil (as had happened with previous regimes). And for several centuries she’s held it together, for better or worse. But one way she’s held it together is by designing it so that it can’t function without the monarch and she’s not easily replaceable. It makes sense in context but is also a source of instability in the official status quo of the setting, so that the drama can happen.
                          Last edited by Black Flag; 06-07-2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X