Fun thought on Getimians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun thought on Getimians

I had a thought of something fun we could do with the concept behind Getimians. Since Getimians are characters who never existed, then...could some signature characters from previous editions be brought back as a Getimian? Could a form of Desus be brought into 3E as one? or maybe Lillun if she no longer exists (I've been assured we're not getting a hentai-monster-thing-loli this edition, but I don't know if that means the girl herself is entirely gone).

Fun idea? or is this just my sleep deprivation talking?

If that's the sort of thing your group is fine with then have at, but most of those characters were removed for a reason and the game is better for their absence.

Comment

I am actually wondering if it is even possible for your Getimian to have been an Exalt at all in their "previous" life and how and if that would affect them.

My players have never encountered Desus or Lillun, so bringing them back would mean nothing to them. What would be interesting, though, is to bring back their previous characters:

"You know that game where your old character toppled the Guild and accidentially burned Nexus to the ground? Yeah, that never happened in this game... but your new character has a clear memory of it happening."
      Last edited by Jutlander; 06-01-2021, 07:08 AM. Reason: Added the words "old" and "new" to distinguish the characters that I were talking about.

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

My wife is on Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by Jutlander View Post
        I am actually wondering if it is even possible for your Getimian to have been an Exalt at all in their "previous" life and how and if that would affect them.
        My understanding is that it's not by default because if it was then the overwhelming majority of Getimian concepts we'd see would be former Exalts.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

My players have never encountered Desus or Lillun, so bringing them back would mean nothing to them. What would be interesting, though, is to bring back their previous characters:

"You know that game where your character toppled the Guild and accidentially burned Nexus to the ground? Yeah, that never happened in this game... but your character has a clear memory of it happening."
          this is way better than my idea. then again seems mine was dumb anyway

Comment

Mmm, well. Disregarding the extradiegetic issues, I see a few questions we'd have to think about.

For one, the text in the preview is a bit dubious.

The general summary of the Getimian Exalted put it like Getimians are "plucked from an unrealised destiny", someone who could have been born into Creation, but weren't. There's a vision and idea of a world resting within them, but that's a world that doesn't exist.

However, later on in the Caste description, it does sound more like they were actually born into one Creation, just not this Creation, and that would imply they were taken from that world and put into ours.

It's pretty unclear which one it is. Personally, I'm inclined to read it like the first one, because I don't have much interest in large-scale dimension shenanigans, and that would mean that Desus and Lillun could not be reborn as Getimians. After all, they already existed. The other reading would mean that, yeah, perhaps they could.

Even with that reading, though, I'm wondering how much different a Getimian Desus or Lillun would have to be from the "regular" Desus or Lillun to count as having "not existed". In my mind, they'd have to be almost entirely different people, and then what's the point of the exercise?
            Last edited by Weimann; 06-01-2021, 07:18 AM. Reason: Formatting.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
              Personally, I'm inclined to read it like the first one, because I don't have much interest in large-scale dimension shenanigans, and that would mean that Desus and Lillun could not be reborn as Getimians. After all, they already existed. The other reading would mean that, yeah, perhaps they could.
              A retcon or new edition effectively means that, in-game, the previous edition never happened.

So both first edition and second edition never happened in-game even if the books were published in our world.

I think, regardless of whether you choose option one or option two, Lillun could theoretically show up. She would still be the daughter of the Empress and whoever her father was, she would look as she did before bloating, and she would still be called Lillun, but her Fate would never be to be snatched away to Malfeas. Maybe she went on to become part of the Lesser Chamber of the Deliberative, where she succesfully argued for stricter laws against engaging with demons and became best friends with Nellens Cyan.

My wife is on Spotify!

Comment

Lillun Exalting as a Getimian after escaping Hell and getting new life free from her torment is something she definitely deserves, IMO

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

A retcon or new edition effectively means that, in-game, the previous edition never happened.

So both first edition and second edition never happened in-game even if the books were published in our world.
                  Oh, yeah! No issues there. Your example of bringing in old characters from previous campaigns would also work.

I think, regardless of whether you choose option one or option two, Lillun could theoretically show up. She would still be the daughter of the Empress and whoever her father was, she would look as she did before bloating, and she would still be called Lillun, but her Fate would never be to be snatched away to Malfeas. Maybe she went on to become part of the Lesser Chamber of the Deliberative, where she succesfully argued for stricter laws against engaging with demons and became best friends with Nellens Cyan.
                  Mmm, not sure I agree that could happen in the first interpretation. After all, Lillun already existed, so her destiny wasn't unrealized and thus she couldn't be a Getimian. But I admit that this is all based on five lines of preview summary, so yeah, perhaps.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
                    After all, Lillun already existed, so her destiny wasn't unrealized
                    And this is where we differ, because I would argue that from the point of view of third edition, she never existed.

Just as Romeo and Juliet and Scooby Doo never existed in third edition, so is the case with Lillun. There is no Lillun in third edition.

But we are just mincing words now, I guess.

My wife is on Spotify!

Comment

Oh, yeah, I see your point. But at that point, there's no imperative to make Lillun a Getimian. Since she's not in 3e, you could just add her like the Empress' daughter, just like you said above, and just like any other character introduced down the line.

Comment

That's fair.

It is a wink and a nod. Nothing more.

My wife is on Spotify!

Comment

So... I've been trying to wrap my head around the concept of the Getimians. Would it be fair to think of them as the Isekai Exalted? That is, rather than thinking of them as never having existed before they were Exalted, could one instead think of them as merely never having existed in Creation before they were Exalted, and their Exaltation takes the form of pulling them out of some other reality and dumping them into Creation with powers? Those in Creation think of them as having come from non-existent realities; and since they can never go back, the question of whether or not their reality of origin actually exists is kind of moot.

In particular, how similar does the Getimian's “native reality” have to be to Creation? Could it, for instance, be as wildly different as the various Shards found in the 2e supplement Shards of the Exalted Dream?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                            So... I've been trying to wrap my head around the concept of the Getimians. Would it be fair to think of them as the Isekai Exalted? That is, rather than thinking of them as never having existed before they were Exalted, could one instead think of them as merely never having existed in Creation before they were Exalted, and their Exaltation takes the form of pulling them out of some other reality and dumping them into Creation with powers? Those in Creation think of them as having come from non-existent realities; and since they can never go back, the question of whether or not their reality of origin actually exists is kind of moot.
                            Not the intent; the writers don't want "there is now a world missing the Getimian", even if they can never return.

In particular, how similar does the Getimian's “native reality” have to be to Creation? Could it, for instance, be as wildly different as the various Shards found in the 2e supplement Shards of the Exalted Dream?
                            Baseline is it diverges with whether the Getimian was ever born. It can extend further, as long as the result of the divergence is "They were never born here" - for example, if the Chanos Flicker in The Realm is a Getimian, then in the timeline he remembers House Chanos is an active thing, while in this Creation it's not, as it was struck from the imperial ledgers centuries ago.

Course, the writers know full well individual tables are going to diverge further (or closer, having their counterpart die young in this timeline).

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Fun thought, Get having alternate reality pasts means they have a decently viable excuse for joining any group that isn't likely to view them as KOS. (IE they were allies or friends in the original timeline to the Get's perspective.) So if you had a player debating whether they should be a lunar, a solar, abyssal, whatever exalt type. Then the Get is from the timeline where the character was the other major contender.
                              "Okay I know this plan, just turn into your mouse form. I can get you close enough to sneak in without an issue."
                              "Wrong me, not a Lunar bud."
                              Last edited by nalak42; 06-01-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X