Fun thought on Getimians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
    You know, the one character who remembers a better world than the awful version which everyone around them accepts, and is constantly freaking out at everyday stuff for being upsetting and wrong.
    Yeah, that works. I think that the "time traveller from bad future" concept - Terminator, 12 Monkeys, Days of Future Past - can also be an inspiration. Not that they're actually time travellers, but their version of Creation could easily be worse than the real one, and they could be motivated to prevent that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth3 View Post
      Yeah, that works. I think that the "time traveller from bad future" concept - Terminator, 12 Monkeys, Days of Future Past - can also be an inspiration. Not that they're actually time travellers, but their version of Creation could easily be worse than the real one, and they could be motivated to prevent that.
      Given several X-men characters someone upthread listed as an example, I can also think of the first appearances of Rachel Summers in the X-men comics here. Even if you have a Gentimian who fixed a world that had gotten awful for them and their loved ones, them discovering that 'prime' Creation never hit the disaster that they ended up fixing in divergent-Creation (or that it was delayed and they could prevent it here), you can still get the personal drama of 'I see people I care about who are alive that I saw die, but I can't get those relationships back because to these people, I never existed, I'm just this weirdo that claims to know them, and maybe some of them still died in this timeline, but earlier'.

So you still hit the core element of a person out of place, even if their motivation is 'let's do this better here, so the world doesn't need saving'.

Comment

You know, it just occurred to me that considering how Getimians are formed, the Great Prophecy seems like a powerful catalyst which could cause many Getimians to rise from it. How would a Getimian from a world where the Sidereals tried to support the Solars and succeed react when they enter such a diminished Creation where the Solars are branded as Anathema react? Or a Getimian rising from the future where they failed, bringing an eternal age of darkness? Or perhaps the one where they did nothing, allowing the world to rot as a lone heroic soul managed to escape the decaying universe? The first would almost certainly see the Sidereals and the Dragon Blooded as corrupted rule and support Rakan Thulio's war against Heaven, while the second and the third may actually support the Sidereals for "doing the right choice"- or perhaps see them as untrustworthy, considering that they know that they can do mistakes. And how the Sidereals themselves would react to those Getimian who stand as an eternal reminder for the future which they did not choose, which could be both better and worse then the path which was decided? Worse, how will they react to the fact that simply by consulting Fate in order to make a choice instead of doing it by their own, they have caused the creation of such tormented souls- or ones which came from a future brighter than they could ever imagine?

I think it could make some very cool character concepts, personally, and I do wonder if we will see some example characters for those discarded futures.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Are such far back "divergence points" canonically allowed? (If so then maybe another option is Bonk the Cave-Getimian wondering where all the Dragon Kings got to?)

Comment

It could be a Getimian which is found in the corresponding "present" for that timeline- like a golden age of the Solars as guided by the Sidereals, and how it would look like "right now", for example.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

My understanding is that, canonically, the divergence point is the conception, birth, and/or not immediately dying to SIDS of the Getimian themself. The Essence writers have said that if you want to do things differently at your own table, nothing breaks (and from the looks of threads like this one, most people immediately go to wildly different Creations), but that seem to be the intention.

That's kind of pieced together from multiple statements, though, so if anyone has anything more directly, please do correct me!

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

I’m going to play the paradoxical Getimian who if he’s been alive would have prevented the release and Exaltation of the Getimians.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
                  My understanding is that, canonically, the divergence point is the conception, birth, and/or not immediately dying to SIDS of the Getimian themself. The Essence writers have said that if you want to do things differently at your own table, nothing breaks (and from the looks of threads like this one, most people immediately go to wildly different Creations), but that seem to be the intention.

That's kind of pieced together from multiple statements, though, so if anyone has anything more directly, please do correct me!
                  I'd point to the Getimian version of the Chanos Flicker in The Realm, whose divergence point - whether House Chanos gets removed from the imperial ledgers - is several centuries back. The writers have said an origin that far back is on the far end of the curve, but it is still on the curve.

Basically, what matters is that the Getimian wasn't born in Creation-that-is, even if that wasn't the direct result of the destiny Heaven chose.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                  X