Help me understand milestones for Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand milestones for Exalted: Essence

I love the Milestone system, but I have a couple of questions.
    A personal Milestone represents a character accomplishing a personal goal, or doing something extraordinary that doesn’t affect the narrative arc. Solving the current mystery, defeating a rival, or describing an amazing stunt all count as personal Milestones. The Storyteller should ask characters for their goals at the start of each session to help create (and earn) personal milestones. Even if a character hits several of these requirements, they only earn one personal Milestone per session. If a player attended the game and contributed but did not accomplish a personal goal or perform a radical stunt, Storytellers should still give out a Milestone for attending.
    So, everyone gets one and only one regardless of how they perform? Why not just write that instead? This puzzles me.
    The group should keep track of each personal or Exalt milestone met. Once a total number of personal or Exalt milestones equal to the number of characters has been met, all characters involved gain their player’s choice of a Personal or Exalt milestone. Exalt Milestones differ per Exalt Caste, and are covered in Chapter 2 (p. XX).
    I think I get this. In a group of five players, let us say that player 1 gets three milestones, players 2 and 3 each gets one, and players 4 and 5 each get zero. That is a number equal to the number of members in the group and then everyone is awarded one even if some players (for whatever reasons) were the ones to earn them in play.

Do I understand that last part correctly?

If I do, young me would have disapproved, but grown-up me really approves.
    Last edited by Jutlander; 06-01-2021, 07:24 AM.

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

My wife is on Spotify!

That's my understanding of it too.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

Originally posted by Jutlander View Post
      So, everyone gets one and only one regardless of how they perform? Why not just write that instead? This puzzles me.
      The only difference I see is that the party might get a new Exalt charm, mode, repurchase a charm or +1 ability in the middle of a session instead of the end.

I think I get this. In a group of five players, let us say that player 1 gets three milestones, players 2 and 3 each gets one, and players 4 and 5 each get zero. That is a number equal to the number of members in the group and then everyone is awarded one even if some players (for whatever reasons) were the ones to earn them in play.

Do I understand that last part correctly?

If I do, young me would have disapproved, but grown-up me really approves.
      I wasn't sure about this either, and my friends thought it was individual, so I asked the developers and they said yes. It's a pool PCs fill up and when it's full everyone gets a new purchase. So helping your friends achieve their character focus is just as good as achieving your own. Which is good.

Also, as far as I can see, PCs generating Personal or Exalted milestones for the party gives you a choice between taking Personal or Exalted milestones. IE there's no circumstance where you only get a Personal milestones, or only Exalted milestones. It's always going to be a choice between Repurchase a Charm/Get a Mode or new Exalt charm/+1 ability. Never only, say, Repurchase a Charm/Get a Mode.
      So I don't really know why they're seperate. Maybe something will appear later that gives you an Exalted Milestone but not a Personal Milestone.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

If each player is guaranteed a personal milestone just for attending, then isn't that also guaranteed to give the group bonus each session as long as everyone attends? Or are you supposed to *only* get the group bonus, and individual personal/exalt milestones just go to filling up that pool?

...I don't think I like this system. It seems needlessly complex and poorly worded.

Comment

It's the most badly written paragraphs of what we've seen so far. I really hope they clean things like this up because ExEss seems just awesome!

Comment

I'm unclear on how raising a Merit with a Milestone works. If you have a Merit with "empty" levels, such as Allies, do you have to spend two Major Milestones to raise it, or can you just bump it up from its Tertiary level to Secondary at once? Can you skip the Secondary tier entirely and go from Tertiary to Primary?

Originally posted by Jutlander View Post
            I love the Milestone system, but I have a couple of questions.So, everyone gets one and only one regardless of how they perform? Why not just write that instead?
            Also, it completely negates the incentive for manifesting the Great Curse, since that can only give you a Personal Milestone that you'll probably just get anyway.

EDIT: Wait, Great Curse manifestation "qualifies as a personal milestone" (emphasis mine). Is that supposed to mean that it provides the growth of one, but doesn't count as your per-session personal milestone?
            Last edited by The MG; 06-01-2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElOhTeeBee View Post
              If each player is guaranteed a personal milestone just for attending, then isn't that also guaranteed to give the group bonus each session as long as everyone attends? Or are you supposed to *only* get the group bonus, and individual personal/exalt milestones just go to filling up that pool?

...I don't think I like this system. It seems needlessly complex and poorly worded.
              Me too...

But I talked to the devs, me and several others were really confused by some of it, and it turns out that the version in the preview is wrong. It's a previous version, or a mix of the previous version and the current one, or something like that.

So... I guess we'll have to wait for the correct version to judge it. I hope that they will put it in the full version you get at the end of the Kickstarter.

I hope

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

What I have seen does seem over-complicated to me (especially for a simple system), but maybe the real version is more elegant.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

This reminds me of the experience system in Mage CoD : When someone does something that forward his objective, the group gains 1 beat. When the group has a number of beats equal to 5*number of players, everyone get 1 exp. I thought it was pretty simple when I was playing my Mage Campaign, and rewarded collaboration in general

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Working...
                  X