No announcement yet.

Show me a Heroic Abyssal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what could be done with an Abyssal patterned after Death of the Endless:

I mean, death is something we all fear; but it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Comment

Nobody's mentioned Secret yet?

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
      Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
      Masters of the Industrial Elements
      Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
      ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post
        Nobody's mentioned Secret yet?
        Beat me to it. seriously, Keychain of creation's Secret is a prime example and imho should become canon

Comment

I always thought Studio 4°C's Comedy was a good Abyssal inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by AldoSalt View Post
            Heroic Abyssals, as "champions of death," are also strangely suited for "Adventurer Archaeologist" and Epic Historian characters: venerating the past over the present isn't so different from venerating the dead over the living.

The necromantic proficiencies of Abyssals are also very useful for unearthing knowledge lost to the ages – interviewing ghosts, retrieving memories from past lives, calling forth phantasms of long-lost buildings and civilizations, etc. Breezing through ancient tombs to retrieve/protect burial goods from unscrupulous scavenger lords would also be very much in-character for a non-evil Abyssal
            Reminds me of an Ars Magica character in one of the fanzines. A storyteller with the best stories, who got them by raising a corpse, asking them for their life story, and then sending them to lethe.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonR View Post

Reminds me of an Ars Magica character in one of the fanzines. A storyteller with the best stories, who got them by raising a corpse, asking them for their life story, and then sending them to lethe.
              I think I have all of those fanzines. I have a hankering to look at that character, could you share with me which fanzine and issue so that I can examine him/her?

I want to play this as a starting character, I don't even care what game.

Comment

The classic example of a heroic abyssal is someone who has rebelled against their deathlord masters and seeks to redeem themselves, culminating in becoming a Solar.

Otherwise being a heroic abyssal in Creation is like being a good-aligned vampire. It's not that it's *impossible*, you can *do* it, but everything about what you are is going to rail against it. It is your doom to fulfill the oath you made to the Neverborn, spread death across all of Creation and bring closer the ultimate triumph of Oblivion.

But that's part of what makes Exalted interesting, innit? The game revolves around power, how best to use it, the inevitable corrupting influence it has.

"Your power is inherently destructive, corrupted and terrible for Creation in the long run, how do you use it to do good?" is an immediately interesting question. You might act as a diplomat for the dead, negotiating deals to give the Underworld some semblance of order, or finding a way to help the ghosts in a shadowland coexist with the living until they can finally find a way to Lethe. You could be a monster hunter, tracking down hungry ghosts, mortwights and the like, ending them before they cause trouble. You could be a Punisher-style antihero, turning your unbridled, screaming NEED for destruction towards the dismantling of, say, the Realm, the slave trade or dinosaur heroine.

Discord: HalfTangible#7505
                "+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus." -Keld Danar on GitP Forums
                Playing Peleps Raptor, Fire Aspect playboy in the Grand Tour

Comment

Working...
                X