Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Join Battle work in Essence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How does Join Battle work in Essence?

    "Roll for Join Battle (Appropriate Attribute + Appropriate Ability) to determine whether the players’ characters or the Storyteller characters goes first. Any character from the winning side may act first. Whomever goes first then decides who acts next. Players can choose to go next after another player character, but important Storyteller characters may have the ability to interrupt player order to take their action. Players may nominate Storyteller characters to act next, if this would be an interesting or tactical choice. Whichever side acted first continues to act first for the duration of the combat."

    So do literally all of the player characters roll each of their Join Battle Rolls and pool their successes together (same for the NPCs)? Or does each side "check" for whoever got the highest roll- meaning the person with the best Join Battle determines which side (Storyteller or Player Character) gets to act before the other? The way this is worded seems confusing to me- can anyone clear this up?

  • #2
    I assume you all use your own success total, and whoever has the highest, their side is the winner.

    Comment


    • #3
      Based on other games that use popcorn Initiative like Realms of Pugmire, Genesys, etc, I'm fairly certain Florin is correct.


      Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

      Comment


      • #4
        From what i understand we roll whatever we stunt / want for JB.

        For example; " Golden Obsidian lets out a bone-chilling warcry as she lunches herself against his opponents. Enemies hesitates for a second to enter the battle." roll for (Force + Persuasion) for JB. Basicly she intimates to slow the reactions of the others, hence she acts quicker.

        Then repeat for each char and npc, see who is has the highest initiative.


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
          Based on other games that use popcorn Initiative like Realms of Pugmire, Genesys, etc, I'm fairly certain Florin is correct.
          I had assumed the same, though it's worth noting that Essence is unusual as "popcorn initiative" (I have no idea why it's called that) goes. Notably, the last character to act on a given round does NOT just pick anyone to start the next round - it goes back to the side that acted first.

          So, more clarity would be nice.


          "For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
            ... "popcorn initiative" (I have no idea why it's called that) ...
            Apparently it derives from something in theater.


            And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

            Comment


            • #7
              One thing I don't like is everyone rolling if in the end only 1 roll matters. I'd probably prefer having a teamwork roll or something but it doesnt work as well since everyone rolls for teamwork as well


              My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ncolic View Post
                From what i understand we roll whatever we stunt / want for JB.

                For example; " Golden Obsidian lets out a bone-chilling warcry as she lunches herself against his opponents. Enemies hesitates for a second to enter the battle." roll for (Force + Persuasion) for JB. Basicly she intimates to slow the reactions of the others, hence she acts quicker.

                Then repeat for each char and npc, see who is has the highest initiative.
                Monica has clarified on Discord that it's whatever Attribute you want, but it should be a Combat Ability.


                Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post

                  Monica has clarified on Discord that it's whatever Attribute you want, but it should be a Combat Ability.

                  I can argue that persuasion is a combat ability in the hands of a skilled Moonshadow.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I hope all these Discord clarifications go in the text...

                    The system seems fine to me. Yeah, some people's rolls are wasted, but that's similar to when you all roll to know or notice something and the person with the most just tells everyone else.

                    I am a bit sad that it's Close Combat or Ranged Combat though. I liked that other stuff like Awareness was important in combat. The bit that didn't work so well is that in 3e it affects damage, but it doesn't in Essence anyway.


                    STing Bronze Age Exalted

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      I hope all these Discord clarifications go in the text...
                      That's the entire point of those errata forms.

                      I would certainly like it if you rolled your best of Awareness or War instead of Melee or Ranged Combat. Especially as it just your side that needs to win. Easy houserule though.


                      Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                        That's the entire point of those errata forms.

                        I would certainly like it if you rolled your best of Awareness or War instead of Melee or Ranged Combat. Especially as it just your side that needs to win. Easy houserule though.
                        Good suggestion, and it can make the "Warleader" with lower Close/ranged combat pools still very useful in combats, and it's flavourful. I Like it.


                        My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At the very least, War should be allowed for JB in any dramatic scene associated with, well, a war.

                          I think that I'll be slightly more flexible. E.g., if you're fighting in the North on ice floes moving along a river, I would think that Athletics would be entirely appropriate. Even something like Embassy might be helpful for JB in the middle of a party or something. But I would never allow 'anything'.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                            That's the entire point of those errata forms.

                            I would certainly like it if you rolled your best of Awareness or War instead of Melee or Ranged Combat. Especially as it just your side that needs to win. Easy houserule though.
                            That is a good idea: I was surprised War stayed as a distinct ability because I think it doesn't get used a ton, so maybe that would be something else to use it for. Though I have not read Essence's War rules yet, so maybe I am wrong.


                            STing Bronze Age Exalted

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X