Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning Player / ST with (lots of) varied questions on 3.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Returning Player / ST with (lots of) varied questions on 3.0

    Returning Player / ST with (lots of) varied questions

    I am returning to Exalted for the first time after 3.0 dropped and had some questions, they are a bit varied so I apologise in advance. Some of the questions are for my character and the others are for how I am planning on running the setting when I ST.

    Base Mechanics:

    1) How important are Supernal Abilities to a Solar's power-set or overall ability? I am right now thinking of removing the idea as on my reading it would seem to really un-balance things at the start.

    For example: Just after character creation or a few sessions after, How much can non-Dawn's contribute to a combat when there is a Dawn with a combat Supernal ? (you can flip the question for other castes as well, how much can a non-Twilight contribute when there is Twilight with a craft/lore/occult supernal etc...)

    Another benefit of this in my eyes is that it would power down starting exalts somewhat and allow a better ramp up to becoming powerful.

    2) Has anyone come up with a good flat XP system for character gen/advancement ? If there is anything I hate about WW games is that the system encourages uber-specialisation at the start (better to get 5 in one attribute then balance out your stats like a normal human).

    3) I am assuming that if I wanted to make a set of Artifact Shuriken (throwing knives) that return once thrown, then I can just use the Light Thrown Weapon Artifact table for stats?

    4) How good is the War ability and Charm tree in this edition?

    5) If you take Thaumaturgy as a merit as a mortal pc, then take Terrestial Sorcerory when you exalt, is it reasonable to refund the bp/xp ?

    6) Invulnerable Skin of Bronze as a Control Spell : If I am reading this right, Even if a sorceror is not using this spell they can add their essence to their soak? Is this only if they are unarmored or even if armored?

    7) Regarding getting a familiar, I found Spirit-Tied Pet but my understanding from the text is that it applies to pre-existing familiars. Is there a charm to get a familiar?

    8) Ambidexterity : Is there an actual penalty to attacking with an off-hand? What is the benefit of wielding two weapons? Is this merit worth it?

    Martial Arts :-

    9) Is there any 3.0 martial art that allows Reaper or Normal Daiklaves along with Unarmed Strikes?

    10) If not, then can you please tell me how good is Snake Style in this edition? and would it be broken if I allowed it to be used with a normal/reaper daiklave and a short one (duel-wielding).

    General :

    11) Are there any rules or even example NPC's for God-Blooded characters in 3.0?

    12a) Are there any rules for how to setup a (Pre-Disappearence of the Empress) Wyld Hunt ? How many DB etc? How do they hunt down a new Solar? or should I look for stuff from 1e/2e?

    12b) Any good ideas for evading a Wyld Hunt (specifically one where the Emperess is still on her throne?). Do you just try not to be obvious using periphial essence and avoid anima-flare?

    Setting :

    13) One thing I want to know is how big a thing is the return of the Solar Exalted in this edition? One of the things that I remember reading last when I played, was that 3.0 was going to do more to flatten the power curve but there was some wondering if that would mean the return of the Solars would be less of a game changer and more of "oh hum just a couple of new players on the board?"

    14) Does anyone know the attitude of Lookshy towards a gods-blooded? (As in actual child of a goddess, Tien-Yu? Although his parentage would probably unknown to practically all).

    15) Anyone know if Daiklaves are still oversized in this edition? I can see the appeal but personally I would prefer more normal size weapons at least for my PC.



  • #2
    So I can answer a few questions off the top of my head.

    Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
    1) How important are Supernal Abilities to a Solar's power-set or overall ability? I am right now thinking of removing the idea as on my reading it would seem to really un-balance things at the start.

    For example: Just after character creation or a few sessions after, How much can non-Dawn's contribute to a combat when there is a Dawn with a combat Supernal ? (you can flip the question for other castes as well, how much can a non-Twilight contribute when there is Twilight with a craft/lore/occult supernal etc...)
    This is one of those things that's working as intended. Claiming a Supernal is saying, "Look, this particular thing is my niche and I don't want someone else to casually make me look like a chump in it. I want to hit the ground running as one of the foremost in these skills among mortal or god." For most castes, the Supernal isn't *that* overwhelming for other PC's. A Craft Supernal Twilight will likely leave any other crafter in the dust, but in whatever other Caste skills they have, they're no greater a healer than a Dawn Caste who has Medicine favored.

    That said, "Working as intended" does not have to mean a perfect solution. A Dawn is clearly going to dominate the battlefield among their circle with most of the supernal skill options, especially in the early game when they're the only one with access to high-essence combat charms. I wouldn't get rid of it, but YMMV and that's a valid point.

    3) I am assuming that if I wanted to make a set of Artifact Shuriken (throwing knives) that return once thrown, then I can just use the Light Thrown Weapon Artifact table for stats?
    Yep.

    5) If you take Thaumaturgy as a merit as a mortal pc, then take Terrestial Sorcerory when you exalt, is it reasonable to refund the bp/xp ?
    IIRC if you lose a merit you're refunded XP. Granted you're not technically losing the Thaumaturgy Merit, but I would consider it a dick move otherwise.

    13) One thing I want to know is how big a thing is the return of the Solar Exalted in this edition? One of the things that I remember reading last when I played, was that 3.0 was going to do more to flatten the power curve but there was some wondering if that would mean the return of the Solars would be less of a game changer and more of "oh hum just a couple of new players on the board?"
    It's been flattened some, but think about the Supernal thing you mentioned above. Solars are still more powerful in general, and in focused areas they rapidly become worldshaking.


    15) Anyone know if Daiklaves are still oversized in this edition? I can see the appeal but personally I would prefer more normal size weapons at least for my PC.
    They're still oversized; IMHO any artifact weapon should be distinctly supernatural in appearance, but I don't think it should break anything for it to be normal in size.

    Comment


    • #3
      1a) Removing Supernal would cause a noticeable dip in Solar power, but they'd still be very powerful. They just wouldn't have a spike of doubleplusextra power in a particular field.
      1b) It really depends on how optimized the supernal-haver is. A Dawn can be built to kill entire hearths of DBs with a single swing (twice, then they run out of motes) or duel Octavian and win - or can be built to be highly competent but not overwhelming in their field of specialty. If you're worried, putting a hard cap on the number of Charms in a particular Ability at chargen will prevent all the crazy broken stuff. 6 or 7 is enough to have some tricks but not be an unstoppable demigod of [whatever].

      2) The easiest way is to enforce arrays. You, the ST, build a character you feel is reasonable. Then write down just your dot ratings, and let the players arrange those as desired for their PCs. For example, you might have an Ability array of 2x5, 2x4, 4x3, 3x2, 2x1.

      3) Yes, that'll work fine. You might want to put some tags like concealable on.

      4) Very. As an offensive ability, it's easily on par with the other combat Abilities - just so long as you have some way to prevent your soldiers from being slaughtered (Defend Other is helpful here!).

      5) I'd say that's reasonable.

      6) My reading is that the soak bonus when the spell is inactive doesn't care about if the sorcerer is armored or unarmored.

      7) Lunars and DBs have such Charms - porting the Lunar Charm,Untamed Soul Unity, over shouldn't cause issues.

      8a) The only places the -1 offhand penalty is brought up are in Ambidexterity, the version of Tail that functions as an extra hand, and some Steel Devil stuff.
      8b) If you wield two of the same weapon, you get +2 dice on a Clash. But paired weapons don't slap you with an offhand penalty. If you wield two different weapons, you get two sets of tags and weight categories - and this is where the offhand penalty can matter. It's a very niche merit.

      9) None published yet. Sidereals are likely to have one.

      10) Snake is very solid. It already allows hook swords, so letting somebody use normal swords (or daiklaves) with it wouldn't cause any balance issues as long as it's not to combo an otherwise invalid MA with it (like Single Point).

      11) None in core, though Adversaries of the Righteous or Thousand Devils Night Parade might have some.

      12a) Nothing.
      12b) Don't flare, or don't leave witnesses who'd rat you out. Or just book it if you do flare, the Wyld Hunt is going to take some time to react.

      13) The power curve is flatter, but still not flat: A Solar has more raw power in their niche than a Lunar or Sidereal. And ~300 new celestial Exalted is going to change anything. Especially since they're all new and fresh, instead of the relatively entrenched older Lunars who might be causing fewer sudden upsets and dramatic changes in the world.

      14) Not offhand. The Realm might have something.

      15) Artifact weapons are still huge - but as long as you're not letting players melt down a hugeklave for a dozen normalswordklaves having normal-size artifact weapons too won't be an issue. The important part is that they're obviously artifacts, hugeness is mostly just a visual thing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        1) How important are Supernal Abilities to a Solar's power-set or overall ability? I am right now thinking of removing the idea as on my reading it would seem to really un-balance things at the start.

        For example: Just after character creation or a few sessions after, How much can non-Dawn's contribute to a combat when there is a Dawn with a combat Supernal ? (you can flip the question for other castes as well, how much can a non-Twilight contribute when there is Twilight with a craft/lore/occult supernal etc...)

        Another benefit of this in my eyes is that it would power down starting exalts somewhat and allow a better ramp up to becoming powerful.

        I'm going to answer this question with a comparison. An Erymanthus is a war demon, it takes the form of a massive gorilla with thick hide, jagged black bone spines, and terrible wicked talons. It can move and strike faster than the human eye can perceive and bellow so loudly that it can shatter steel and pulverize the bones in your body at a spearthrow's distance away. I will compare this creature's stats to the stats of a Solar who took physical in his primary attributes, spent 2 bonus points on melee, has a daiklave and mundane steel armour, and no charms at all, not even the melee excellency. The bloodape's stats will be first, followed by the Solar's.

        11 || 14 Attack
        15 || 15 Damage
        04 || 7 Defense
        07 || 10 Soak


        So without any charms at all the Solar is already beating or matching one of the strongest combatants out there, who isn't like a directional god of war or the greatest warlord in all of Hell.

        Basically, yes, without supernal your Dawn character will contribute.

        Otherwise it will do pretty much what you said, it will make them weaker off the bat, but allow them a progression they otherwise wouldn't get. My first character in ex3 took all or almost all of his charm choices from his supernal ability right off the hop and I definitely did not feel like I was progressing.


        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        2) Has anyone come up with a good flat XP system for character gen/advancement ? If there is anything I hate about WW games is that the system encourages uber-specialisation at the start (better to get 5 in one attribute then balance out your stats like a normal human).
        There are a few that I've seen that use bonus points awarded at the end of session, or alternatively use xp for chargen, but I don't know if I've seen a flat xp scaling hack sadly.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        3) I am assuming that if I wanted to make a set of Artifact Shuriken (throwing knives) that return once thrown, then I can just use the Light Thrown Weapon Artifact table for stats?
        No question at all that's what you'd do.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        4) How good is the War ability and Charm tree in this edition?
        Broken OP if you want to use it properly. Take a Dawn, and get like, a size 1-2 battlegroup of minions who you jack the stats up with various good gear and elite training, then give them a command with double 8s from Ideal Battle Knowledge Prana and watch as you apply a single 35 die attack to all enemies in the area.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        5) If you take Thaumaturgy as a merit as a mortal pc, then take Terrestial Sorcerory when you exalt, is it reasonable to refund the bp/xp ?
        I'd say so.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        6) Invulnerable Skin of Bronze as a Control Spell : If I am reading this right, Even if a sorceror is not using this spell they can add their essence to their soak? Is this only if they are unarmored or even if armored?
        It's even if they're armoured. I can't tell you how many people just pick up sorcery for that spell to stack it up to 20+ soak because it's so easy to do.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        7) Regarding getting a familiar, I found Spirit-Tied Pet but my understanding from the text is that it applies to pre-existing familiars. Is there a charm to get a familiar?
        I don't think so, but Familiar is a -Story merit, so you can just get one if the story is appropriate.


        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        8) Ambidexterity : Is there an actual penalty to attacking with an off-hand? What is the benefit of wielding two weapons? Is this merit worth it?
        It's not usually worth it, paired weapons don't suffer the penalty. The only real reason to take it is to use two different weapons with two different weapon tags to give yourself more variety.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        9) Is there any 3.0 martial art that allows Reaper or Normal Daiklaves along with Unarmed Strikes?
        I don't think so.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        10) If not, then can you please tell me how good is Snake Style in this edition? and would it be broken if I allowed it to be used with a normal/reaper daiklave and a short one (duel-wielding).
        It wouldn't really break anything at all, in fact it would barely even change anything.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        11) Are there any rules or even example NPC's for God-Blooded characters in 3.0?
        Not really, they're just basically normal mortals with special merits, the base one being that they can grab thematically appropriate eclipse charms.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        12a) Are there any rules for how to setup a (Pre-Disappearence of the Empress) Wyld Hunt ? How many DB etc? How do they hunt down a new Solar? or should I look for stuff from 1e/2e?

        12b) Any good ideas for evading a Wyld Hunt (specifically one where the Emperess is still on her throne?). Do you just try not to be obvious using periphial essence and avoid anima-flare?
        The Wyld Hunt is a very variable thing. In this edition it isn't even just about hunting celestial exalted anymore. Anything that's anathema to Creation, fey creatures, demons, whatever, if they're dangerous enough, can be declared anathema and have a Wyld Hunt called on them. The Hunt is a concept from the Shogunate that transcends almost all boundaries of creed and loyalty among the terrestrial exalted. Basically for a Hunt under normal circumstances they put aside their differences and go kill the thing that's threatening the world, or at least in their opinion threatening the world, it may just be threatening their rulership of it.

        So that leaves you with a lot. A Wyld Hunt might consist of only a rag-tag group of Outcaste DBs who spotted something horrible and decided they need to go fight it, or it could be an entire legion from the Realm, which includes over 50 dragonblooded warriors and 10,000 mortals.

        Best bet to avoid them is just to keep quiet and don't show essence unless you're deep underground or something, and if you do get out of there quick and go somewhere that nobody's seen your face before.

        Setting :

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        13) One thing I want to know is how big a thing is the return of the Solar Exalted in this edition? One of the things that I remember reading last when I played, was that 3.0 was going to do more to flatten the power curve but there was some wondering if that would mean the return of the Solars would be less of a game changer and more of "oh hum just a couple of new players on the board?"
        In 2e one chargen Solar could fight an unlimited number of terrestrial exalted and win 100% of the time. I seriously mean right out of chargen if you rolled up 10,000 immaculate monks against that one Solar the monks would never win. THAT is the power disparity that was squashed down in 3e.

        So it ends up being a lot more like there are new players on the board, but those new players are powerful enough to disrupt how the world works if they do things right. A lot of that is also left up to ST interpretation. They're going to change things, but how much is up to you.

        Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
        15) Anyone know if Daiklaves are still oversized in this edition? I can see the appeal but personally I would prefer more normal size weapons at least for my PC.
        Officially they are all much larger than the mortal versions. I don't think it breaks anything to have a small one, but it does break things a bit to have one that isn't obviously magical, unless that's it's special power, to not be recognizable as a daiklave.

        Comment


        • #5
          As a note, many charms scale with Essence, meaning a Solar isn't necessarily as dominant in their supernal as "I can reach the capstone of my tree!" might suggest.

          Comment


          • #6
            Personally, I always felt a reduction in supernal made for better solar games. Rather than being all powerful at start, it's just better to ramp them up. I heard the reason for this is that games end before they get to use these powers. If an ST has no clue what he's doing, with just one solar who's tricked out into a specific niche, can cause the game to unravel much faster. Then you have solar brawl and performance which are strong partially because they either ignore mechanics or they're overtuned. Then there's solar lore. Which seems useless, but the character trades off being useless in order to acquire literally hundreds of more xp then the rest of the party. I personally feel sandact's rewrites fix a lot of these problems but he hasn't finished every ability and they all need work in some shape or form.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks to everyone who replied, especially those of you who replied to practically all of my questions.

              Regarding :

              1 & 2) Supernals & Flat XP - I am going ahead with removing Supernals and implementing Flat XP. I like the idea of a better progression story.

              7) Spirit Tied Pet - PC's can get Familiars at character creation with merits but they will need to purchase a ported over version of the Lunar-Untamed Soul Unity charm (thanks vwllss trnt prncss ) to get familiars in game.

              8) Ambidexterity - What would you all think of it allowing +2 Dice on Clash on unpaired weapons? Would it be too much or too little for a one point merit?

              10) Snake with Normal/Reaver Daiklaves - Will not allow combos with Single Point but other wise good to go.

              11) God-Blooded - Will speak on my character later.

              12) Wyld-Hunt - Thanks for the info all. I can somewhat handle the actual DB-Half of the Wyld Hunt, but can anyone give guidance/tips on what the Sidereal-Half of the Wyld Hunt would bring to the table? and how to avoid them?

              Do the Sidereals still try to track using sorc/astrology down Solars and pass them to the DB-Wyld Hunt? If so any suggestions as to how players can avoid them ? Basically I am happy with the Wyld-Hunt constantly being on their tail or somewhere in the same country/region but if the Circle are taking proper care/precautions the Wyld-Hunt should not just know Solar Bob will be in this town during these weeks etc...

              13) Solar Impact On Setting - Nice.

              14) Lookshy and God-Blooded - Will speak on my character later.

              15) Daiklaves and similar artifacts will be more normal sized (if the PC wants) but obviously artifacts just the same.

              Regarding My PC:

              I am recreating one of my old Zenith characters for a game that stopped early. Basically a God-Blooded from Lookshy who was dishonorably discharged due to Teresu Gido (Purist Lookshy Sohei from 2E Scroll of Heroes) who hates god-bloods.

              Incidentally I could not find a good eclipse charm from a war-god at all in any of the 3E books. Well I've made that part of my backstory in that Tien-Yu does NOT want her charms being used as they would harm Lookshy.

              Regarding God-Bloods and similar beings :

              Note: These rules are primarily for NPC's and for limited Session Solo Prelude games. Basically if you play a God-Blood then you should expect to become an exalt after 2 or 3 sessions max.

              God-Bloods and Enlightened Mortals exist.

              Enlightend Mortals are gain essence after decades of a hard ascetic life-style and have to maintain that life-style to keep their essence.

              No enlightened mortal is under 30 years old and most are in their 40's.
              Enlightened Mortals who study martial arts have already paid for a number of charms before enlightment but they could only use them after.
              They neutral with every magical material except Soul Steel which they are dissonant towards. It takes them a LONG time to raise their essence.

              God-Blooded gain essence plus limited charms from their heritage. Once they exalt, they LOOSE these charms (XP refunded). They are generally resonant with materials that match their heritage. Moonsilver for Fae-Blooded, Soul-Steel for ghost-blooded etc.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post

                Do the Sidereals still try to track using sorc/astrology down Solars and pass them to the DB-Wyld Hunt? If so any suggestions as to how players can avoid them ? Basically I am happy with the Wyld-Hunt constantly being on their tail or somewhere in the same country/region but if the Circle are taking proper care/precautions the Wyld-Hunt should not just know Solar Bob will be in this town during these weeks etc...
                They do. Sometimes sidereals also help them. For this situation, I would I would probably stick them in anywhere other then the realm though. The farther from the realm, the more freedom. Also, if you read the 1e cult book. You'll find some interesting things about sidereals. Since we aren't getting a 3e book soon, I'd use that as a basis. Basically gold faction sidereals control that direction, so the wyld hunt has way less influence as do bronze faction sidereals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
                  Thanks to everyone who replied, especially those of you who replied to practically all of my questions.

                  Regarding :

                  1 & 2) Supernals & Flat XP - I am going ahead with removing Supernals and implementing Flat XP. I like the idea of a better progression story.
                  Just kind of keep in mind pacing on things like Essence itself and how to raise it. If things look really far away, don't feel afraid to change the Essence-to-xp ratio scaling.

                  Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
                  ... 8) Ambidexterity - What would you all think of it allowing +2 Dice on Clash on unpaired weapons? Would it be too much or too little for a one point merit?
                  I just straight-deleted off-hand as a penalty and the Merit. It's kind of an air-breathing mermaid, IMHO, and it kind of is a level of mechancial fiddliness that I don't think really anyone likes much.

                  Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
                  .. 12) Wyld-Hunt - Thanks for the info all. I can somewhat handle the actual DB-Half of the Wyld Hunt, but can anyone give guidance/tips on what the Sidereal-Half of the Wyld Hunt would bring to the table? and how to avoid them?

                  Do the Sidereals still try to track using sorc/astrology down Solars and pass them to the DB-Wyld Hunt? If so any suggestions as to how players can avoid them ? Basically I am happy with the Wyld-Hunt constantly being on their tail or somewhere in the same country/region but if the Circle are taking proper care/precautions the Wyld-Hunt should not just know Solar Bob will be in this town during these weeks etc...
                  Most individual Hunts won't have a Sidereal like, there. They more often provide intel and logisitc support is my guess. A Sidereal actual asskicking assassin doesn't come around until you eventually start causing enougha ruckus and they are in a postiion to do it covertly. Otherwise, I think you usually can use them for Deus Ex Machina on why the Dragon-Blooded seem to keep up with them so easily.

                  Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
                  ...
                  Enlightend Mortals are gain essence after decades of a hard ascetic life-style and have to maintain that life-style to keep their essence.

                  No enlightened mortal is under 30 years old and most are in their 40's.
                  Enlightened Mortals who study martial arts have already paid for a number of charms before enlightment but they could only use them after.
                  They neutral with every magical material except Soul Steel which they are dissonant towards. It takes them a LONG time to raise their essence.
                  I think that honestly, if they're something more for prelude stuff? It isn't worth the time or bother to worry about enlightened mortals being a thing. 3e moved away from them in general since htere's just more interesting ways to do supernatural beings than vanilla humans who move Essence around, but have small pools, use the Charms badly, and can't do a lot with their traits. If it is at most two or three sessions, I don't think it's worth worrying about the mechancial infrastrucutre for an extended prelude. If it is for NPCs, there are just more interesting ways to do them besides generic enlightened mortals who apparently got it just for "trying really hard" in a universe that doesn't like, believe in fairness for effort?

                  Like, if it is a kind of NPC you want, that's fine. But there's already in 3e a lot of mor einteresting takes on magical humans that I think that it's worth exploring that than kind of something htat, for me at least as 2e went, kind of felt a bit milquetoast on one hand and a kind of waste of wordcount on ultimately underpowered/useless NPC mechancis.

                  Originally posted by TryingToBeSlim View Post
                  ... God-Blooded gain essence plus limited charms from their heritage. Once they exalt, they LOOSE these charms (XP refunded). They are generally resonant with materials that match their heritage. Moonsilver for Fae-Blooded, Soul-Steel for ghost-blooded etc.
                  There are actually god-blooded Exalt rule sin the upcoming Heirs to the Shogunate. Basically the mechanics are you are your kind of Exalt, but if you pay upfront for the Merit, you can learn some Eclipse-style Charms or other things fitting your heritage. I'd just say do that, maybe let htem take some permanent Charms for their pre-Exaltation choices that are handy, and after Exalting can pick up other stuff.

                  Again, a big thing to think on is that these, as you note, are for two ro three session games. Is it worth putting a lot of time and energy into such mechanics as if it were af ull game, in basically the "first dot of Essence' range of gameplay, for what amounts to an expanded prelude? Kind of in that context is why I generally think that not even bothering with things like Essence pools or partifacts in such situations is fine.


                  And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Blaque

                    In all honesty I would like to have a game of more heroic mortals along with God-Blooded but as I am just getting back into things I do not have time or expertise to do a full house-rule for them. My current rules were basically what came to my mind as appropriate for them during my initial reading of them and in this forum.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: flat XP, I've hacked a relatively simple version I use for other games based on the same chassis. It may work here with some finessing. It's based on the standard Bonus Points table, and is inspired by the CoD system.

                      For the current, corebook XP awards, switch 1XP for 1 beat in the text. 5 beats=1 Bonus Point. So for Ex3, each player gets 5 beats just for playing (=1BP) plus a few additional beats on top for various things listed in the book (totalling maybe 1BP and 2-3 beats to 2BP if they're lucky).

                      So you should have about 3BP every other session, which is enough to buy something with. If the players are exceptional and engage with Flaws, etc, they can get 4BP in the same time period. Even better.

                      If you want to speed things up, you can give them 2-3BP per session instead.

                      I've tried this with oWoD games and it works quite well. I think it should work with Ex3, too.
                      Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 06-27-2021, 06:07 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        On Supernal, if you think it's an issue, one houserule I've seen is to change it so it treats your Essence as 2 points higher for purchasing Charms. So at Essence 1 a Solar could purchase up to Essence 3 Charms. At Essence 2 they could get Essence 4 Charms, and then at 3 they could get Essence 5 Charms. They'd still have an advantage in their field but not so overwhelming.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What do others think of a house rule to allow two Supernal Abilities?

                          One would be a combat Ability & the other a non-combat Ability.

                          The idea behind this is that a lot of Players wish their PC to be bad arse on the battle field & excellent at something else. This would allow for that duality. For those Players who are happy with a single minded combat PC, this can encourage them to explore a different side focus & give them something more to do in downtime.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                            What do others think of a house rule to allow two Supernal Abilities?

                            One would be a combat Ability & the other a non-combat Ability.

                            The idea behind this is that a lot of Players wish their PC to be bad arse on the battle field & excellent at something else. This would allow for that duality. For those Players who are happy with a single minded combat PC, this can encourage them to explore a different side focus & give them something more to do in downtime.
                            I'd just start them at E2, most of the major charms are at E3 anyway.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                              What do others think of a house rule to allow two Supernal Abilities?

                              One would be a combat Ability & the other a non-combat Ability.

                              The idea behind this is that a lot of Players wish their PC to be bad arse on the battle field & excellent at something else. This would allow for that duality. For those Players who are happy with a single minded combat PC, this can encourage them to explore a different side focus & give them something more to do in downtime.
                              I would personally advise against this. I think even just having characters who are all built like badasses+caste-specific-specialties can really make the game wonky, see above where a demon that can rip stones apart with its talons and explode your heart in your chest with a roar is beaten by somebody who's not even using charms.

                              The method I use in my games tends to be just to emphasize the danger and power of the non-combat characters. Like if my group has a medicine supernal in the party there will be a disease that will, straight up, 99% of the time, just kill the party's Dawn, and their only salvation is that the greatest healer to walk Creation in 3,000 years is their best friend. In my current campaign I've even gone 2-3 sessions in a row without any combat whatsoever, the whole time the social and mental focused characters overcame all of the troubles with applications of Presence, Lore, Medicine, Survival, Investigation, Bureacracy, and Athletics primarily, a little Larceny but not much.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X