No announcement yet.

The Exalted Essence experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great, but Exalted 3e is also right there. If you love the combat at its current level, then you don't need essence. I loved a lot of the ideas that came in with Ex3's overhaul to the core system, but I also know that there's not a chance in Malfeas of me onboarding any of my more casual friends into that system. There's just too much book keeping. This strikes a nice middle-ground for me, so I'm excited to work with it more. If you like the other stuff that Essence is doing but want combat closer to Ex3 core, it shouldn't be too hard to houserule that in. Simply make withering attacks deal damage to the opponent's power in addition to building your own. Add a bonus/penalty to crashing someone and you're pretty golden. None of that even conflicts with any of the charms I've seen.

Comment

I've briefly toyed with the idea that a withering attack can either give you the full result as additional power, or it can give you half (round up) and the target loses half (round down). Not sure who gets to choose, the attacker or defender, but leaning towards the defender (if the attacker wants guaranteed power, use build power instead). So the defender can stand their ground but that means the attacker gets more power, or can give ground which limits the attacker's power gain but at the cost of giving up their own power. It adds a touch more strategy, but I don't know the system well enough to know if it is both a meaningful choice (there isn't always a single optimal answer) and also makes things more engaging. Once I'm more experienced with the RAW experience, I'll probably play around with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindharin View Post
        I've briefly toyed with the idea that a withering attack can either give you the full result as additional power, or it can give you half (round up) and the target loses half (round down). Not sure who gets to choose, the attacker or defender, but leaning towards the defender (if the attacker wants guaranteed power, use build power instead). So the defender can stand their ground but that means the attacker gets more power, or can give ground which limits the attacker's power gain but at the cost of giving up their own power. It adds a touch more strategy, but I don't know the system well enough to know if it is both a meaningful choice (there isn't always a single optimal answer) and also makes things more engaging. Once I'm more experienced with the RAW experience, I'll probably play around with it.
        Kinda in this vein, something I've been toying with to give Withering attacks a feel of more impact is that the Damage rating of a weapon not only gives extra successes to the damage roll of a Decisive attack, but also how much Power that the target of an attack loses *if* hit. This also helps give Heavy Weapons a benefit with Withering attacks, as right now, there isn't much (at least that I can see).

Comment

Double Post

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
            Charm trees have been pruned down to shrubbery.

Charms with charm prerequisites are in the minority, except for the martial arts styles. Each of these a chain of three to four charms.

Most "treeing" is through modes ; some of which require repurchase, others granted on meeting their separate prerequisites.
            That makes me more interested in it tbh. The amount of charms in Ex3 core just made running the game a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
            X