Exalted Essence Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Essence Questions

I am not sure where to put this so I am asking here to the people who have played a few games. I have a game coming up and while making a character, I got confused on a few issues and wanted to ask how it was handled in your games.

First off,

ANIMA: So we gain anima every time we spend a mote? Is this particularly limiting? I am asking as unless you are willing to flash your Anima, you cannot use too many charms. In previous editions, we had to keep anima down but here it is built so that it is very difficult to keep it down.

How did it effect your games? Was it particularly constraining?

CORONA OF FURY: I am a bit confused on the Social part. Is that always on or only when anima is high or you are injured enough?

Should I avoid this and keep the Anima down or activate this with injuries?

FISTS OF IRON: Is this a scene long charm or a instant charm?

The Wording implies Scene long but mote is spend not committed.

GUARDED MIND MEDITATION: Infernal: So long as you benefit from Corona of Fury. Does that mean we can turn corona of fury off despite being injured enough or having our anima high enough to activate it? The Wording confuses me.

Towering Demon Emperor (Iconic): Immediate transformation to Devil-Body without cost. Does this work even if you do not have the charm and are not injured enough to transform? Also add sux to combat for the rest of the scene. Does this work even if you lower your Anima? Once again it implies that Corona of Fury can be turned off.

SOLAR: Supremacy of Ability - Does this count towards raising Anima? There is no mote spending but you can easily spam this in a social setting.

Supremacy of Ability means that excellencies don't generate Anima, yes.

Edit: Deleted because it was incorrect.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 07-04-2021, 07:11 AM.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Hmm...Oh, Sorry, I should have clarified. Well 2 motes get you 1 anima. So spending 8 motes will bring you to 4 Anima which is the limit of what is not noticeable, with 3 being the highest safest.

So that effectively means that unless you have a way to lower Anima, you are limited to essentially 8 motes or 6 motes unless you are willing to flare anima.

I wanted to know how combat is supposed to go as Infernals are incentivized to flare Anima but well, you are flaring anima and my 2.5/3E instincts are telling me that is a bad idea.

Comment

Well, 4 motes is 4 charms, which is probably similar to an Ex3 character's whole personal pool. So it mostly I assume works out kind of similar.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Originally posted by Yzarc View Post
          Hmm...Oh, Sorry, I should have clarified. Well 2 motes get you 1 anima. So spending 8 motes will bring you to 4 Anima which is the limit of what is not noticeable, with 3 being the highest safest.

So that effectively means that unless you have a way to lower Anima, you are limited to essentially 8 motes or 6 motes unless you are willing to flare anima.

I wanted to know how combat is supposed to go as Infernals are incentivized to flare Anima but well, you are flaring anima and my 2.5/3E instincts are telling me that is a bad idea.
          Where are you seeing that it requires two motes per point of anima? I may have missed something obvious, but I understood it to be a one-for-one build up . . .

Beyond that, yeah, if you want to have an epic showdown using all your godly powers, you're going to go bright. Most fights that aren't against other exalted are probably going to end before you go iconic, though, which means you're just glowing. Everyone around you will know what you are, but they probably were about to figure it out, anyway.

In general, this is a change that I'm okay with. Taking away all of the minutiae around hiding your natures is better for the games I play. Hiding your exalted nature while still using your cool powers should be difficult (except for the castes that are specifically good at it). It creates interesting stories.

As for infernals . . . it's most appropriate for them. they're not here to be subtle. They're here to f*ck things up and mess the place about. I like that the game incentivizes them to burn hot and blow things up. For me, that's mechanics matching the fiction.

Comment

Okay, so looking at the rules...

You get one anima for every mote you spend. There's some other ways to get it as well. For example, if you get Power that would take you above 10 you can have 1 anima for every 2 extra Power you lost because of the cap of 10 (or give the extra Power to your friends, etc).

As soon as get 1 anima, your caste mark appears (I thought it was only at 2+, but that's when your Active Anima power turns on, sorry Yzarc, you were right there). So basically whenever you use a charm, since almost all of them cost 1m or more (unless you're a Solar using an excellency, so Solars can spam excellencies all over the place in a way that other Exalted can't, not just because of saving motes but also because it won't make them flare).

However, your caste mark can be covered by a cloth, hat, etc.

When you've got 3 anima, your whole body glows softly, so you can't hide that without some special charm, and your caste mark can no longer be hidden I think?. But NPC don't immediately notice unless they have some particular reason to. I'm not sure how strict that is. I assume because the glow and caste mark is too soft, so maybe they notice in a dark room but not in a crowd on a bright day? It's not really explained, especially about the caste mark. At 4 anima, they now can notice immediately, but you're not glowing anymore (well, I assume you are, just at a level below system resolution).

At 5 anima, you glow enough to light up a room and you can't hide that you're an Exalt. I'm not sure how not being able to hide that you're an Exalt is different to anima 4 and everyone noticing immediately.

At 7 anima you glow enough that people notice it from several bowshots away.

At 10 anima you glow so much it can be seen on the horizon and a giant iconic image appears above you.

If you spend anima, I don't think the display goes away, it just fades by one level (ie 10>7>5>3>1>0) per scene (there's a few charms that reduce it faster).

On a different note, at 2 anima you get your Active Anima effect, and 10 you get your Iconic anima effect.

I will be honest, I think the anima rules could be a bit simpler. I'd probably just have at 2 your caste mark appears and you glow a little, at 10 it's full on and visible for miles. But that's just me.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              You get one anima for every mote you spend.
              ...on charms and effects, except Anima effects. And you must use an effect to gain anima; you can't just pump it up.
              There's some other ways to get it as well. For example, if you get Power that would take you above 10 you can have 1 anima for every 2 extra Power you lost because of the cap of 10 (or give the extra Power to your friends, etc).

As soon as get 1 anima, your caste mark appears (I thought it was only at 2+, but that's when your Active Anima power turns on, sorry Yzarc, you were right there). So basically whenever you use a charm, since almost all of them cost 1m or more (unless you're a Solar using an excellency, so Solars can spam excellencies all over the place in a way that other Exalted can't, not just because of saving motes but also because it won't make them flare).

However, your caste mark can be covered by a cloth, hat, etc.

When you've got 3 anima, your whole body glows softly, so you can't hide that without some special charm, and your caste mark can no longer be hidden I think?.
              Checking...Yes. Caste marks can be covered at Dim, but not at higher Anima Levels.
              But NPC don't immediately notice unless they have some particular reason to. I'm not sure how strict that is. I assume because the glow and caste mark is too soft, so maybe they notice in a dark room but not in a crowd on a bright day? It's not really explained, especially about the caste mark. At 4 anima, they now can notice immediately, but you're not glowing anymore (well, I assume you are, just at a level below system resolution).
              I suspect an errata is due on that, and they intended both levels of Glowing to be not-showy.
              At 5-6 anima (Burning), you glow enough to light up a room and you can't hide that you're an Exalt. (snip)

At 7-9 anima (Bonfire) you glow enough that people notice it from several bowshots away.

At 10 anima (Iconic) you glow so much it can be seen on the horizon and a giant iconic image appears above you.

If you spend anima, I don't think the display goes away, it just fades by one level (ie 10>7>5>3>1>0) per scene (there's a few charms that reduce it faster).

On a different note, at 2 anima you get your Active Anima effect, and 10 you get your Iconic anima effect.
              That seems to cover it. Each exalt type has a blurb describing their anima's appearance ... except Lunars.

That for the Dragon-blooded mention that when theirs reaches 5 or more anima (Burning), all characters in close range must make reflexive Physique rolls versus that Dragon-blood's Essence+2 or take a point of damage from the elemental flux.

Oh, and that for Infernal's mentions that theirs becomes a demon attracting beacon when it hits Iconic.
              Last edited by Greyman; 07-04-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Re-reading the text, yeah I misread it as 2 Anima=1 flare level.

Also I was reading Guarded Mind Meditation again and it hit me that the Infernal version is a nerf?

GMM lets you dim anima so long as you are not above 3.

The infernal version prohibits diming anima if the Infernal is in Corona of Fury, which hits at -2hlvl or 4 Anima. Isn't this essentially a nerf?

Comment

I suggest interpreting the 3-4 Anima level less literally for now: subtle lighting differences, other sensations like smells or sounds, minor glitches (Getimian) or coincidences (Sidereal), more pronounced features (like the Lunar tell or Alchemical artificiality), etc.

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

CORONA OF FURY: I am a bit confused on the Social part. Is that always on or only when anima is high or you are injured enough?
                    Just as the Advantage says, Corona of Fury operates when you are at Critical Damage or 4 or more anima. While that condition happens, the benefit is granted. That being: the breath of war restores two motes and she recovers one mote between social actions or ventures.
                    Should I avoid this and keep the Anima down or activate this with injuries?
                    The anima effect is there to encourage you to take risks.

FISTS OF IRON: Is this a scene long charm or a instant charm?

The Wording implies Scene long but mote is spend not committed.
                    Indeed. As currently written : You do spend 1 mote for Fists of Iron Technique to buff your fists for the combat scene.

Whether it should say so or not...
                    GUARDED MIND MEDITATION: Infernal: So long as you benefit from Corona of Fury. Does that mean we can turn corona of fury off despite being injured enough or having our anima high enough to activate it? The Wording confuses me.
                    The Mockery of Mortal Form mode says "so long as not benefiting", which means when not Critically injured nor at 4 or more anima.

Further, my reading of "freely" is that it allows the Infernal to dim her anima without having committed the mote to activate Guarded Mind Meditation.
                    Towering Demon Emperor (Iconic): Immediate transformation to Devil-Body without cost. Does this work even if you do not have the charm and are not injured enough to transform?
                    Well.... I'd say there would not be any intent to force an Azimuth to purchase the charm to use their iconic anima effect. That Hideous Strength gives all Infernals access to the charm when at the last Critical Damage; this should be an additional way to activate it.
                    Also add sux to combat for the rest of the scene. Does this work even if you lower your Anima?
                    If you are not benefiting from Corona of Fury you do not gain this benefit.
                    Once again it implies that Corona of Fury can be turned off.
                    Not voluntarily. The Azimuth (any Infernal) automatically benefits from the Corona of Fury if and only if its condition is satisfied.
                    Last edited by Greyman; 07-04-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Also I was reading Guarded Mind Meditation again and it hit me that the Infernal version is a nerf?
                      This is why I read "freely" as allowing the Infernal to dim her anima without having committed the mote to activate all of Guarded Mind Meditation.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                        This is why I read "freely" as allowing the Infernal to dim her anima without having committed the mote to activate all of Guarded Mind Meditation.
                        Yeah. It would have been simpler to say "Freely dim anima so long as less than 3 Anima" but that does not take into account the Corona of Fury at -2hlvl. Which effectively gives the Infernal free mote with no Anima in a social setting. (Incidently, that was also why I asked about the Solar Free Excellency).

Comment

Yeah. It would have been simpler to say "Freely dim anima so long as less than 3 Anima" but that does not take into account the Corona of Fury at -2hlvl. Which effectively gives the Infernal free mote with no Anima in a social setting. (Incidently, that was also why I asked about the Solar Free Excellency).
                          Two things I think you've missed here;

1) The infernal mode of GMM just lets them freely (without cost) dim their anima as long as they are below the threshold or not otherwise benefiting from corona of fury. The fact that this power is limited by corona of fury (and therefore by being heavily injured) doesn't stop it from being all upside. No other exalt type gets to dim their anima without cost through this charm.

2) All exalt modes of charms are always optional. That doesn't really apply here, but it's an important thing to keep in mind when reading charms, since there are edge cases of certain charms where the exalt mode might seem like a nerf with specific stats (the solar mode of a Iron Kettle Body comes to mind as something that's a nerf if physique is only at the base prerequisite of 2). If you're looking at a mode and think that it doesn't seem good in certain situations, remember that you can always choose not to use it.

Comment

Personally, I would love for someone to clarify how Lunar animal shapes work.

Like, let's say I'm playing a Changing Moon with a Fox spirit shape. While in Fox form, does he gain just the narrative benefits of being somewhat smaller? Does he gain the Fox special quality listed under Sneaky animals?

If he takes Chimera-Soul Expression and uses the Double Down mode, does he gain double 8s on "Cunning" actions, or three additional dice on those actions? If he takes that multiple times, (Becoming some kind of quadruple fox), what happens?

I'm not really sure at the intended resolution here.

Comment

I must say the Anima levels are a bit too much, I'd much prefer only 3 of them or something simpler.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Working...
                              X