Scarlet Empress Mon for Exalted 3E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarlet Empress Mon for Exalted 3E

On page 68 of Exalted 3E there is a list of the mons for the great houses. Was a similar mon ever developed and released for the empress? According to the text, she does have and use one.

It is a scarlet five pointed star (red pentagram).

The mon on Volfer's crotch art is Mnemon's.

I don't think we have an official art example of the Empress's mon.

2E source:

Last edited by JohnDoe244; 08-30-2021, 04:37 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      Aw, that makes the artwork a bit less awesome (it's still awesome).

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
      My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
      Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

It is a scarlet five pointed star (red pentagram)..
        That's just a little foreboding. Thank you for the information!

Comment

Why is that foreboding? It's just a super-generic symbol of the five elements. Too generic, IMO.

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
          Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

Links between pentagrams and demons one imagines.

It was the demon worship symbol in VtM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Because Satanists use it. That shouldn't matter in Exalted.

Comment

In the Empress' case it's a bit more of a reference to Wu-Xing as used in Daoism and spin-offs like Onmyoudou mostly.

And stuff.
                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                  Because Satanists use it.
                  Mind, even that association deserves some unpacking, since "Satanism" as a belief system that real people actually practice is more about the idea of magic and the rejection of rigid moralising authorities as a form of personal liberation. In all likelihood, any use of the Pentagram is probably a descendent of something between Aleister Crowley's suggestions of it as a symbol of the relationship between spirit and matter and an influential 19th century occultist presenting it right side up as depicting the dominance of intellect over the elements and inverted as a glyph of an evil goat (especially when Satanists say that the things symbolised by the goat aren't actually evil).

Funnily enough, the pentagram has for centuries actually been used in Christian symbolism, even to the point of representing Christ himself (specifically the five wounds).

But yeah, it's a long-standing symbol to depict the relationship between five interconnected things.

Originally posted by Erinys
                  That shouldn't matter in Exalted.
                  Indeed it should not, nor many other things really.

Really, it's a funny thing how symbolism works; a pentagram assumed to be sinister just because some people assert that it is so based on a distortion of how some people are actually employing it, when there's nothing inherently sinister about the meaning of a star.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Yeah, the whole pentagram = Satanism = the Devil = demons thing is pure fantasy. Some neo-Pagans use the pentagram as a symbol for European paganism (perhaps related to Crowley, again) but then plenty of people also damn all Paganists as evil demon-worshipers, despite "paganism" being so broad it basically just means "not a major world religion".

A five-pointed star is not inherently "demon" anymore than a six-pointed star is inherently Jewish, or a nine-pointed star is inherently Baha'i. Or, indeed, an eight-pointed star being inherently Solar (although that at least is an in-setting symbol).
                    Last edited by Erinys; 09-10-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Nor should we assume that the forum is inherently working properly at any given time, nor that we can edit our frikkin' posts when we think of another paragraph.

A pentagram = five. So it could be elements, Dragons, Directions, maidens, seasons, days that you spent slogging through Cecelyne, etc. If the pentagram as a symbol of the Gaian elements goes back to the early First Age, it's entirely possible that the Autochthonians use a six-pointed one for their elements and Directions.

Comment

It is a scarlet five pointed star (red pentagram).

I don't think we have an official art example of the Empress's mon.

2E source:

On the other hand, the 1E core book p.37 states that "[The Imperial Mountain]'s profile serves as the seal and mon of the ... Empire.", so I think this is something that varies by edition. I'm not aware of anything indicating what the imperial mon is in 3E yet, although the statement that the black helms wear belts with pentagrams on them could be taken as evidence for the 2E version.

Comment

Working...
                        X